• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Your Favourite Weather

Gentle thunderstorm. Close second is light rain/mist and cool but not cold (probably 55-65 degrees Fahrenheit).

A light rain, cold frosty mornings, a crisp autumn/ spring breeze...
After the christmas lights go down the world feels cold and desolate... I love that too.

I really love geography and climates. I want to know what type of weather is your favourite?

I absolutely love geography and climate/weather as well. I've been interested in both ever since I was a kid.

As far as weather I love, I prefer any kind of active weather like rain and snow. In general, I am more of an indoors person, so those types of days are made for that. I also enjoy the period leading up to active weather, watching the forecast, and noticing the weather changes.

I love thunderstorms, but we don't get too many of them where I live unfortunately.

I absolutely love geography and climate/weather as well. I've been interested in both ever since I was a kid.

As far as weather I love, I prefer any kind of active weather like rain and snow. In general, I am more of an indoors person, so those types of days are made for that. I also enjoy the period leading up to active weather, watching the forecast, and noticing the weather changes.

I love thunderstorms, but we don't get too many of them where I live unfortunately.
Cool. If you had to pick a place just for the weather where would it be and why?

If I had to pick a place just for the weather it would be the Pacific Northwest region of North America.

Do you like Southern California weather and do you think it is as good as everyone says it is?
It was much better when I first came out here in the late 70s. Since then it has gotten nothing but hotter and drier. I do not like triple-digit temps for weeks at a time nor do I like multi-year droughts where the plants die off, the wildlands burn, and the animals get desperate. We had 90F+ temps in November. It is still fire season in December.

The higher in elevation, the cooler it gets. Close to the ocean, it cools off. I can adjust my temperature by driving to the coast or to the mountains but we're looking at a 100 mile round trip for the higher mountains or for coastal areas not swarmed by huge crowds.

It was much better when I first came out here in the late 70s. Since then it has gotten nothing but hotter and drier. I do not like triple-digit temps for weeks at a time nor do I like multi-year droughts where the plants die off, the wildlands burn, and the animals get desperate. We had 90F+ temps in November. It is still fire season in December.

The higher in elevation, the cooler it gets. Close to the ocean, it cools off. I can adjust my temperature by driving to the coast or to the mountains but we're looking at a 100 mile round trip for the higher mountains or for coastal areas not swarmed by huge crowds.
What was it like in the late 1970s?

Cool. If you had to pick a place just for the weather where would it be and why?

If I had to pick a place just for the weather it would be the Pacific Northwest region of North America.

For craziest weather the American Midwest seems to have some of the most volatile weather. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in the spring, and freezing cold in the winter with some nasty snowstorms.

I used to live in the northeast and we had some pretty extreme weather there too. We got a lot of thunderstorms in the spring and summer and had "nor easters" in the winter which gave us wind, rain, and in some instances, heavy snow and blizzard conditions.

For craziest weather the American Midwest seems to have some of the most volatile weather. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in the spring, and freezing cold in the winter with some nasty snowstorms.

I used to live in the northeast and we had some pretty extreme weather there too. We got a lot of thunderstorms in the spring and summer and had "nor easters" in the winter which gave us wind, rain, and in some instances, heavy snow and blizzard conditions.
They sure do, Texas and Florida do to, there are even parts of Alaska and the Pacific Northwest that can get up to 100-200 inches of rain, and there are even parts of Hawaii and New Zealand that can get 400-500 inches of rain. These are caused by the maritime climates founded in these regions.

What was it like in the late 1970s?
There were wetter winters. What used to be considered a normal winter now passes for a "wet" winter. We've been in a drought with intermittent normal spells for half my life. Part of the reason we have such insane fires out here.

Sana Ana winds are hot, powerful, and extremely dry winds blowing into the south and west from the Mojave, Colorado, and Great Basin Deserts. Hotter deserts make for stronger winds. Another reason for our insane fires.

You could usually count on at least one rain every month, even in summer. That was from monsoonal flow. Not seeing much of that these days.

Spring was known for drizzle, May grey, and June gloom because the cool, moist maritime air would move in as a layer of fog overnight and slowly burn off during the day. That onshore flow is now usually blocked by a near permanant high-pressure system over the desert.

You used to get a couple of days over 100F every month in July, August, and September. Now we have "hard summer" from mid-May all the way thru to mid-October. June, July, August, and September are all prone to having entire weeks with highs over 100. OTOH the winter isn't as cold as it used to be and there is less snowpack.

The forests weren't full of dead trees. The drought weakened them and the bark beetle finished the job. Yet another reason for insane fires. They are getting bigger and more frequent.

There were wetter winters. What used to be considered a normal winter now passes for a "wet" winter. We've been in a drought with intermittent normal spells for half my life. Part of the reason we have such insane fires out here.

Sana Ana winds are hot, powerful, and extremely dry winds blowing into the south and west from the Mojave, Colorado, and Great Basin Deserts. Hotter deserts make for stronger winds. Another reason for our insane fires.

You could usually count on at least one rain every month, even in summer. That was from monsoonal flow. Not seeing much of that these days.

Spring was known for drizzle, May grey, and June gloom because the cool, moist maritime air would move in as a layer of fog overnight and slowly burn off during the day. That onshore flow is now usually blocked by a near permanant high-pressure system over the desert.

You used to get a couple of days over 100F every month in July, August, and September. Now we have "hard summer" from mid-May all the way thru to mid-October. June, July, August, and September are all prone to having entire weeks with highs over 100. OTOH the winter isn't as cold as it used to be and there is less snowpack.

The forests weren't full of dead trees. The drought weakened them and the bark beetle finished the job. Yet another reason for insane fires. They are getting bigger and more frequent.
I looked at weather records and the year of 2004-2005 got 37 inches of rain, that is twice the average now. But in 1980 it got around 8 inches, so it depends on the year. Here is the source.

Dry summers can be very very very boring. Summer rain is what makes summer summer. There was an exception in 2018 during El Nino that there was a lot of rain and thunderstorms during the summer and I would say that is my favourite summer.

drought-1.jpg
Heat-History.jpg
I looked at weather records and the year of 2004-2005 got 37 inches of rain, that is twice the average now. But in 1980 it got around 8 inches, so it depends on the year. Here is the source.
Yeah... We can see a gradual increase in drought intensity over the years. And a fairly significant increase in extreme heat days. Fewer wet winters. I miss the good old days.

I obviously wasn't here but many of the "desert" areas of southern California were grassland and savanna just a century ago.

If you look at the averages though, 14 out of the last 20 years have been below average. A couple of heavy years isn't very useful by themselves. All that extra rain just runs off after the ground is saturated. Once the reservoirs are full anything more is released to the sea.

Attachments

• drought 1.jpg
    drought 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
drought-1.jpg
Heat-History.jpg

Yeah... We can see a gradual increase in drought intensity over the years. And a fairly significant increase in extreme heat days. Fewer wet winters. I miss the good old days.

I obviously wasn't here but many of the "desert" areas of southern California were grassland and savanna just a century ago.

If you look at the averages though, 14 out of the last 20 years have been below average. A couple of heavy years isn't very useful by themselves. All that extra rain just runs off after the ground is saturated. Once the reservoirs are full anything more is released to the sea.
You were sure right about Southern California getting less rain since the late 1970s. I just listed some exceptions.

I wish I could find the verse from the bible about desertification it's one of the prophets if I remember Ezekiel(Ezequiel) never found it

Listening to this paired with rain sounds (which you can find on youtube videos of rain effects) together helps a lot for me especially with anxiety.

New Threads

Top Bottom