• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the Most Fantastic Experience You Have Ever Had?

Ken

V.I.P Member
What is the most fantastic, breath taking experience you have ever had? Only your most fantastically good experiences. You can list more than one.

I have a few, but no time to write them at this moment due to work schedule. I hope to post mine in a few days.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm just eager to get this thread going...

Exceeding mach 1 in a Dassault Falcon 10 business jet on a dive into a valley below the sides of it then pulling back up on a vertical climb to near service ceiling, hitting the flaps as it approached a stall and diving back to our home base airport.

At the first mach number, there was zero visibility out of the side windows while in the valley.
The g-forces on climbout were phenomenal to boot.

We got a ride in it with a 28 year old hotshot pilot after my father machined and fabricated a towbar for it so it could be placed in a hanger.
It was delivered without one and wasn't insured if left sitting on the ramp so Dad whipped one up in under an hour and instead of payment for the work, he asked for a ride in it.

Being all aviators on board that day, the pilot was really wringing it out which made it very unforgettable.

I have a few things on that list. I spent some time in Longyearbyen on the Spitsbergen Island during winter. That name means "Long Year Town" and there is a reason for that. There's no day there during winter, 24 hour night. At best you get a blue light but no daylight. After being there for a while it was like being on a different planet. Everything was like being on a different planet, I almost forgot how the normal world was, we were on our own little planet. I thought it was an amazing experience. Many people can't stand being there, it can drive people crazy but it was kinda perfect for me. But they have a serious lack of trees there, that's not good. I need the forest.

longyear.jpg

longyear.jpg

longyear.jpg

longyear.jpg

Last edited:
I swam next to this amazing creature, a whale shark at Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia. The photo was taken by my partner and we were only a couple of metres away!
1659650384838.jpeg

It's a drawn out experience rather than an instant, but the slow process of allowing myself into the present moment after the first 18 or so years of my life spent locked inwards and tunnel visioned was something to say the least. I imagine perhaps its how young children feel discovering everything. In this process the highlights I remember are falling in love with the sky, the moon, animals, people, art and music.
A while after this had all settled down and I got accustomed to my new normal, I saw a movie called Old Joy. It has a scene towards the end that though some may read homoerotic, to me felt like this exact process. Allowing yourself back into the present after not having been there. The reluctance and fear and that invisible yet solid wall that separates us from actually being here. It comes right back if you're not careful. It's meant to help after all. The more open you are to living the more easily you get hurt by anything that happens. For most it's an easy decision to keep distance. It's almost shameful to admit I'm already back behind a wall, but it was bound to happen. Human adaptability is scary! At least I took my treasures with me.

Meeting a handsome guy on the spectrum. I have great experiences but that has been very remarkable for me, because l have had to mature to become a better person.

Last edited:
Being a good father for my daugther. Every day of it, everytime she show me how much she appreciate having me as her father. :)

Second to that is being a good husband for my wife. Makes me proud.

What is the most fantastic, breath taking experience you have ever had? Only your most fantastically good experiences. You can list more than one.

I have a few, but no time to write them at this moment due to work schedule. I hope to post mine in a few days.

In February 2020, before we all knew about covid, my dad got really sick and was put in the ICU. We thought we were going to lose him. He had went sepsis and his kidneys were failing.

Eventually, they stepped him down from critical but he was basically in a coma.

Long story short, two weeks later I had to go back to work (in a different city) but my dad was home and still very sick.

However, when I came back to visit that weekend, he was sitting in his recliner like nothing happened, drinking a beer. It was the best thing I had ever seen in my life.

I'm more into things/inanimate objects, and often struggle with relationships (as I've seen from some posts here), how about some classic car meets...

I think the favourite classic car event I've ever attended was the ICCCR, aka International Citroen Car Club Rally... It was held in Massachusetts during the time I lived in Ontario (between 2000 and 2003)... International means just that, lots of interesting and rare Citroen's from Europe came over, I'm not sure but possibly the only time it was held in North America... Back in my film photography days with a rather basic camera, pretty sure I took at least eight rolls! I do wish I had a digital camera back then, but then again digital photography was only in its infancy

A close second? May 2003, a few months before moving back to Calgary (AKA "hinterland"), I went with a friend to another classic car event, Carlisle Import Nationals in Pennsvylvania... I knew it was going to be the only time I would probably ever attend the meet, most definitely saw lots of interesting classic import cars I know I'll never see again, and it was a fabulous weekend full of meeting people and car spotting... And quite a few rolls of film...

Back to "hinterland"? I knew when I was moving back to Alberta in October 2003 that I would never see the same variety of classic import cars as I did those three years in Ontario... That is one big thing I miss, even years later, about when I lived there...

Edited with some photos, I've come a long way with photography since 2002!

ICCCR

2510200_e5425b5c2f.jpg

1647605_b5887d9179_o.jpg

2640709_b98a9c8e40_o.jpg

2640766_bcb9b2e63b_o.jpg

Carlisle Import Nationals

123973035_a5a2f69636_z.jpg

123973034_66a499838e_z.jpg

1647779_16c3ddf2d1_z.jpg

Last edited:
My most amazing experience in my personal life was winning a huge state championship dog show as a 16 year old junior handler. More of an achievement for the dog though.

Other than that, I would have to say the most fantastic experience I've ever had was seeing the sunrise from the top of the Haleakala volcano national park in Hawaii. It was very surreal. Pictured below.

Seeing the sun rising around me while on a plane on an overnight flight was pretty surreal too.

And also pictured below, seeing a waterfall in the rainforest in person.

2013 (10).jpg

Hawaii 2013 (10).jpg

Seeing the total solar eclipse in 2017. You know those old stories where the white men would use their white man science to predict an eclipse then the Superstitious Natives would let them go? Yeah, I'd let them go too.

The whole sky turned violet which I figured was normal but now I'm seeing a lot of videos where it didn't so I guess Idaho's better. :p It really does look just like in the pictures, but it's one thing to see that in a tiny photo with nothing else in frame and another to see it in real life, just a pitch-black glowing hole in the world. The temperature drops. Animals that wake up at dusk come out early. The whole environment changes. I'm not religious but it felt like a glimpse of God.

It's hard to process anything big when you're 15 with unmedicated ADD but I sure processed that. Definitely worth the 5 hour drive back (on a 90 minute road). A moment of silence for everyone who thought 90% partial would be almost the same.

I'm sure the moderators would not let me post most of them. :cool:

Of the ones that were safe to mention, probably the birth of my daughter and 4 years later my son.

Years ago that phenomenon called blood moon happened. I happened to be at the bottom of a mountain, it was foggy that night so we couldn't see anything and someone suggested we should go to the top of the mountain to look at the moon. It was a little magical, we were at the top around midnight and it was completely quiet up there, no wind, no people, nothing. The moon was red and the valley below us was filled with a thick blanket of fog. So we were standing above the fog looking down on it. It looked like a river. That was a little fantastic, it was like standing in a fairy-tale.

bloodmoon.jpg

Last edited:
What a great topic, @Ken, I’ve had fun thinking of my answer and reading other people’s too. I also had fun digging through some old pre-digital photos to share here.

I’ll start with my experience backpacking through Kings Canyon, Australia. The Australian Outback was a magical place for me. It was otherworldly, but also I was young and traveling far from home and there was an added sense of majesty, freedom, and optimism in that desert for me.
1659695846406.jpeg

1659695827274.jpeg

I found my favorite picture from the same trip to Kings Canyon in Australia, mentioned in the post above.
1659722118584.jpeg

I have to say that everyone's most fantastic experience is a winner! Everyone's most fantastic experience is unique and is magically fantastic. That's why I think this is so important. I thank everyone that has posted their fantastic experiences. It enriches all of us.

Finally, I have a couple of my fantastic experiences. I have at least one more yet to come. Still having to balance work with life...

One of my most fantastic experiences involves a very misunderstood activity: skydiving. I must first address this very common misperception. It is widely believed that the sport of skydiving is all about adrenaline rush thrill-seeking, daredevil, risk-taking, throwing caution to the wind, etc. etc. etc.… Indeed, many people skydive for these reasons, but it is not restricted to that. Skydiving can be a very tranquil, safe experience. The equipment is super reliable. It’s the behavior that is dangerous. Example: one can drive a car safely, or dangerously. It depends on the driver. However, due to the skydiving misperception, anytime there is a skydiving accident, the news media claims the parachute failed to open. That is essentially always falsely reported. However, when news reports on an auto accident, it never considers a fault of the car, always the driver.

I am not a risk-taker in any form to any degree. I never engage in anything I perceive as dangerous. Before I engage in any action, I must have a detailed understanding of exactly how it works. That is true for me with any type of vehicle whether it is a car, bicycle, or skydiving equipment.

I have made over nine hundred skydives and none of them falls into the category of “daredevil” or “thrill-seeking”. It took about a year for a skydiving instructor to cover all the technical bases with me sufficient that I understood it from one end to the other and exhausting any elements of danger. The skydiving parachute – actually called canopy – is an inflatable wing with the same functional characteristics as an airplane wing. Landings are typically softer than landing an escalator in a department store. It is completely controllable, including direction, speed and decent rate.

I do not recommend everyone rush out to a local skydiving center. The center I started at presented a very strong emphasis on safety. A dare-devil attitude would get you expelled. Nothing risky was ever tolerated. I was used to that and assumed all skydiving centers was like that. I stopped skydiving in 2005 because of moving to a new city. There are more skydiving centers here, however all of them promote a high testosterone, dare-devil orientation. I did not feel welcome there and felt looked down on because I did not act with a macho, testosterone attitude. Also, they did not like that I only wanted to do solo jumps. They expected everyone to do formation flying. But, that ruined it for me. Formation flying is too social. I skydived only for the tranquility. So, I quit.

Back to my begining in skydiving: It was on my first few training skydives that I discovered (shocked) that it is the most serene, tranquil and peaceful experience I have ever had. A fantastic experience in itself. Floating high above the earth in perfect, serene solitude, with no chance of anyone approaching me with judgment, was like heaven. I never did a tandem jump – where one is attached to an experience jump master. All my preliminary training jumps were static line solo (canopy opens automatically upon release from the airplane). My first freefall was a fantastic experience in itself. Upon leaving the airplane, I felt like I had stopped in mid-air. I felt like I was being supported by something. Like I was lying on something. There was no falling sensation, but I watched the airplane fly away. It was a bit disorienting because I couldn’t imagine what was supporting me; what I was lying on. Finally, I remembered what I was taught in class was more true than I imagined. The air pressure against me equals my body weight (called terminal velocity) which cancels any sense of falling. Also, the ground was not rushing up at me. I was too far above the earth to be able to visually sense my fall rate. I only knew I was falling by my altimeter. I just relished the incredibility tranquil feeling and the feeling of being high in the sky over-viewing the world with nothing attached. The greatest feeling of freedom I ever experienced. It was such an incredible experience I wrote a poem about it (I added it to the end of this post). Note: a typical skydive consists of riding to altitude in an aircraft, directing the pilot with hand motions to pinpoint the plane directly over the area you want to jump from (called spotting), then exit the aircraft for about one minute of free-fall, then open the canopy at about 3,000 feet above ground level (AGL), Then fly the canopy to your landing spot.

Fast forward a few years and about a hundred jumps to my most fantastic experience.

July 1992
Mountains In The Sky:

Since the winds were perfect, three of us decided to make a cross country jump. A cross country jump is to exit the aircraft at a relatively high altitude: 12,000 to 14,000 feet and open the canopy right out of the aircraft for a very long canopy ride; about 12 miles across country. There were three of us; Steve, Theresa and me. I exited first and opened immediately. It was so smooth. I watched Theresa exit and open, then Steve. I watched their deployment. A beautiful scene. The plane and two jumpers in the picture view with their canopies stringing up in deployment. All against a fantastic backdrop of bright white clouds against a deep blue sky. I quickly made an 180 degree turn heading for the airport (landing area). I wrapped my brake lines around my fingers and hooked my thumbs in the large ring of the "3 ring" to get a comfortable way to maintain half brakes for the long ride. I noticed Steve and Theresa was full flight and quickly passed me up, however, before they got even with me they were already well below me. I guessed they intended to fly under the clouds. It was not long before they were very tiny in the distance among those gigantic clouds. The scene was astounding; literally breathtaking. This view was profoundly beyond anything I have ever witnessed in my life (before or since). No picture, no view from an airplane window, nothing on a movie screen, nothing Hollywood could ever create or imagine could even come close. The clouds were mountains – giant mountains of bright pristine clean satin white with shades of blue. It was a fantasy land where the mountain clouds are the landscape that extends forever. Eventually, I was directly over the mountainous "landscape". I could not get over the grand scale of these clouds. Their shapes were so defined they looked like giant mountains of heavenly clean frost white stone. In a perpetual state of awe, I studied the cloud landscape below me for several minutes. After quite a while I slowly descended down to the mountain peaks. I was in a forest of towering peaks, flying my canopy slowly between the towers studying their shapes, flying within inches of their "surfaces". I flew through the edge of one, which made me gasp as if I was going to hit something solid. Below me was the brilliant frost blue "cloud ground". It looked solid, like clean snow but smoother. After a few minutes, I reached the "surface". It made me gasp to watch my toes slowly disappear into the cloud, then my ankles, then my knees, waist... It was like being slowly lowered into water. I watch the "ground" of the cloud come up to my chin then everything is now solid, pure white. After about five minutes I felt like I was turning. It was very difficult to keep from compensating. I kept telling myself that your mind will play tricks like that in the absence of stimulus. I could see nothing but white. The air felt dream like smooth flowing so softly around my face. The air smelled so clean and everything was so quiet. I kept my hands and fingers as still as I could even though I felt like I had turned completely around and was going the wrong way. About another 15 or 20 minutes passed and finally at 6,000 feet the brilliant greens of the brightly lit Earth below abruptly flashed into view. I was shocked! I was there! Just slightly south of the end of the runway! I quickly made an 180 degree turn, unwrapped the brake lines from my fingers and adjusted to hover over the end of the runway. Looking over my shoulder, I watched Steve and Theresa land. Several minutes later I make it to the ground for a smooth escalator landing. The fantasy level amazement of that experience - of being there - lasted a very long time. Indeed, 30 years later, it still takes my breath away.

Here is the poem I wrote in 1991 shortly after my first few free-falls:

FREEDOM

The wind lifts me
As I fly to freedom
Through the open door.

Loose and free in the sky,
High above the Earth,
I watch the winged cage fly away.

This secret magical world,
Composed of serene virgin air,
Engulfs me in tranquility.

I lay upon the satin air.
It supports me without hindrance.
It moves me as my heart desires.

No strings attached…
Nothing to restrict…
I fly.

Lone and mountainous clouds I visit.
Warm, wondrous landscape
Of this boundless pristine world.
Fantastic shapes that dwarf my imagination.

I am sad to leave
This magical world of freedom.

I am happy
That it fondly awaits my return.

Ken Thomas
July 1991

Definitely feeling God, i thought God was some judge far away in the sky that he could not interact with people, that changed one day i went to church, God touched me and my eyes were opened to the truth God can be close to us.
Touchy subject for some but oh well i'm not lying.

New Threads

Top Bottom