• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is everyone’s thoughts on self-diagnosis?

Suspecting you’re autistic is OK. Suspecting you’re autistic and speaking for ALL autistic people isn’t. Suspecting yourself to be autistic and then infantilizin/stereotyping autistic people is NOT okay. Be cautious. What’s literally weird is some ppl will prevent you from interacting with them if you’re anti-self dx, neurotypical, or non-LGBTQ/cisgender. Don’t have much to say as I was diagnosed at an early age.

tldr, self diagnosis is okay if done correctly

This is something that really makes me angry that happened to me all the time, especially when I was a bit younger and in school settings or other peer settings. I don't bring up my medical diagnoses anymore because of it.
Like I would mention some of the conditions I have and people would be like "Where's your proof?" I was just so taken aback. Like do people really fake medical conditions to the extent that there needs to be so much gatekeeping about it?
Same issue with service dogs, which I've posted a lot about on here. Sure, there are some assholes with fake service dogs, but it's not enough of an epidemic that everyone needs to assume EVERY service dog is fake.
I blame tiktok, I think it is bringing out the absolute worst of Gen Z and younger millenials.
That’s something I need to keep in mind when I am out and open about being Autistic down in Chile, I can easily imagine myself getting quite angry and hostile in response to this. Perhaps it’s a good thing I don’t know Spanish as well as I would like yet, just thinking about this brings some brutal, inflammatory words and phrases to mind;

Maybe I’ll just say something like, ”get off of TikTok!” In response to that, how do you say that in Spanish?

That’s something I need to keep in mind when I am out and open about being Autistic down in Chile, I can easily imagine myself getting quite angry and hostile in response to this. Perhaps it’s a good thing I don’t know Spanish as well as I would like yet, just thinking about this brings some brutal, inflammatory words and phrases to mind;

Maybe I’ll just say something like, ”get off of TikTok!” In response to that, how do you say that in Spanish?
Its said: Salte de TikTok

I doub you will have the "prove it" problem in any spanish country. People will just diagnose you and others themselves.

This one is gay, this other one is retarded, the freak, the weird... Dont think most of them will care to trust a piece of paper or your word when they can trust themselves.

In the beginning as a self-diagnosed spectrum rider, when looking to learn more about myself I passed over another mainstream support forum in favor of this one because the other one only wanted to accept the pro assessed as one of their tribe.

No matter what type of label you do or don't have or how you arrived at it, nothing will change what your personal normal is.
I think to further ponder it is just adding another layer to the division that so many seek to eliminate.

It depends. My narcissistic aunt self diagnoses herself with cancer all of the time, and she angrily disrespects the doctors who disagree with her.

This probably is different than what you are referring to, though.

It depends. My narcissistic aunt self diagnoses herself with cancer all of the time, and she angrily disrespects the doctors who disagree with her.

This probably is different than what you are referring to, though.

An acute, often fatal disease diagnosis for attention seeking purposes is the definition of Munchausen's, not even in the same ballpark as a reasonable, researched suspicion of autism and subsequent self diagnosis.

Munchausen's is a pathological psychiatric disorder.

The cognitive reality of SDed ASD is in no way congruent to that of the cognitive parameters of a Munchausen's case.

It is the difference of neurological disorder to a psychological disorder. One is organic, present at birth, and the other is usually a result of one's environment that triggers certain genetic predicaters.

Last edited:
The vast majority of folks who self diagnose are looking for answers and context to why they act and feel as they do. They aren't looking for a documented excuse for poor or outrageous behaviour. Monetary fraud associated with faking a diagnosis of ASD1 are almost laughably small in the US.

Those who do decide to self diagnose and portray 'autism' also usually aren't bringing just an ASD1 diagnosis to the table, usually there is an entire legion of additional and c-ooccuring conditions, e.g. fibromyalgia, anxiety, deprssion, EDS, gastrointestinal involvement, etc.

Boldened areas by me.

I am self diagnosed as Level 1 autistic and deciding whether to get a formal diagnosis. It has been life-changing to find out that I am ASD; it explained my sensory issues, social difficulties, meltdowns and shutdowns. It also saved my marriage. When both partners realize that one of them has ASD, it provides an explanation of what is happening and how to properly address it. Changes in the environment, in communication, in scheduling, etc are made that allow both partners to exist in (more) harmony. And it opens up a whole new world to the partner with ASD; I never realized that there is this big broader world of emotion out there; emotional communication, emotional intelligence, emotional reciprocity. I never knew these things existed anywhere near to the extent that they do. I consider the realm of emotions to be nebulous and engulfing and scary. I have alexithymia and have to work at it. I am also a woman on the spectrum.

Example of the realm of emotions in relationships: Do not interpret what the spouse says literally; he may not mean it literally. There is usually an underlying emotional message behind what he is saying. Responding only to the literal word message, and not the hidden emotional message, will lead to marital conflict. I had to learn about that--still learning.

Oh and also, apparently getting a formal diagnosis costs $1,000 to $7,000, so that is a significant barrier to an official diagnosis. In many cases, all you can do, or all you need to do, is self-diagnose.

And you're right about co-occurring conditions. I also have Celiac Disease (confirmed by blood test, not self-diagnosed), and food sensitivities (no reliable test for those yet though).

For some people self-diagnosis may be difficult, as we all have some bias regarding ourselves. Also. those of us with Theory of Mind issues may have difficulty reasoning what their deviance from centered neurotypicals would be?

Considered myself to have some traits of both ADHD and ASD-- but many neurotypicals do. My bias was that I was a bit on the fringe, but would eventually bridge that gap given personal self-improvement. It was only years later when I was going "off the rails" that I got a professional diagnosis. They saw aspects of my behaviour that I was blind to. This is probably a not-uncommon thing?

New Threads

Top Bottom