• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is a religion?

I am glad you touched upon ascetics and Jainism. I always was most fascinated with both of these!

Do you think that humans have some sort of genetic dna “spiritual” need that makes a majority of them need to follow someone/ something/ some honey power/ other being and follow rules? Why can’t we all live responsibly and sensibly w/o imposing some sort of doctrines, or or worshipping deities?
I tend to think that adding a deity to (a) personal belief(s) lends a sort of unassailable "legitimacy" to the assertions being made:
Now, instead of simply disagreeing with another group of people's traditions/practices/customs, one must also risk incurring the disfavor or wrath of a previously unknown authority/law-giver with similarly unknown demeanor and power(s).
A "cheap" (but powerful) psychological "trick"
used for coercion, conversion, and control.
(What I hear, is, "MY dad can beat up YOUR dad[or lack, thereof], and he LOVES me")
The hallmark of a true "religion", it seems to me, is the requirement for an adherent to accept one or more "beliefs", or "revelations", usually central to the core of the belief "system" itself, without evidence.
In many religions, I have found, an adherent's willingness to believe, in the absence of evidence, is construed to be a strength or superiority of sorts in inverse proportion.
Of interest to me, is that there is no other instance, naturally occurring, where it is profitable, advisable or an advantage, to disregard the Empirical Process/Formula,(quite the opposite is true).

Last edited:
To start with here, I'd like to thank all of you for your participation and intend to do my best in this post to address much of the noteworthy material in the thread. Sadly I can't get to all of it as you have certainly been stimulating conversation partners here.

I think of religion as a set of supernatural beliefs. Everything else is philosophy or lack thereof.

In what is often called "the modern situation" we are collectively being faced with increasingly diverse mindsets from those around us. Pluralism isn't going anywhere and I definitely doubt how well this old perspective on religion is going to hold up moving forward, religion as "a set of supernatural beliefs" may start to grind roughly against people around the world who don't self identify that way or understand the practice of religion along those lines.

This is especially true of Near Eastern and Eastern cultures. It's not a guess on my part but almost certainly a fact that there are people living near you who don't think of (just as a few common examples) their Taoist, Confucian, Hindu, or Buddhist beliefs as necessarily supernatural.

Interesting that you mention atheism. I was in an atheist Meetup for about three years and found that the members would gravitate towards "doctrines". There were approved blogs and books. Certain "sects" seemed to form and tried to enforce their version of atheism.

If you don't mind me asking: what kinds of doctrines and sects are we talking about?

I will say I like the food that religious groups tend to offer. Donuts and casseroles. I was at my husband's church (UU) recently and offered all sorts of food left over from their Friday night dinner group.

I had never heard of a group being both unitarian and universalist before this post. Frankly I'm very curious to hear from unitarians why place as much importance as they do on following ethical and other philosophical concepts within the Bible, if they don't believe in its supernatural elements. It's difficult for me to understand all of those teachings being true for people without what I see as much of the impetus underlying them.

Religious fanatics whether it's Christians or Muslims would see non followers as outsiders. I can't stand fanatics from the monotheistic religious backgrounds since they're often narrow minded into their one God.

It's curious to me how many people take issue with the idea of exclusivism. Having come from such a religion it has always made perfect sense to me how religions around the world, some of other varieties than monotheism included, can be mutually exclusive. There are fundamental contradictions in how they understand reality, so of course such people aren't going to believe in the possibility of a round square.

I'm more into spirituality and polytheism, because I like to interpret the color of reality rather than being part of something that has too many rules and be restricted from doing stuff that turns out to be harmless in the end.

Well, my friend, as it turns out I'm an agnostic for mostly the same reasons ;)

I disagree. You said that collectives can't be responsible or sensible given pretty much any context, but there are lots of contexts in which collectives of people do behave responsibly and sensibly, you house mouse. Take any company or public institution in a developed country, for instance.

I'm not so sure your given example lends credence to the idea that groups of people are responsible. However, now that I think on the issue further it really was too narrow minded of me to assume that groups as a matter of course can't be responsible.

Instead I've observed that they have more of a tendency to act out of self interest first, and responsible, sensible behavior isn't guaranteed or even all that likely in a lot of scenarios. You have correctly pointed out that the scales tip towards the other end as well, and such behavior can definitely be more likely. I hardly need to point out any examples of unethical and destructive behavior engaged in by companies.

Not to be silly, but religion can be just about anything. It's not so well defined. Even the Wikipedia article starts with "Religion may be defined as ..." I was just reading about an AI religion where they worship future ASI as they become ready for the coming of their Lords. There's a Matrix religion. I wouldn't be surprised if someone started an atheist religion even though that's kind of a contradiction.

Ah, but if a definition is just about anything then it isn't much of a definition, is it?

The hallmark of a true "religion", it seems to me, is the requirement for an adherent to accept one or more "beliefs", or "revelations", usually central to the core of the belief "system" itself, without evidence.
In many religions, I have found, an adherent's willingness to believe, in the absence of evidence, is construed to be a strength or superiority of sorts in inverse proportion.

Not to be too presumptive about your exposure to religious thought, but I'm inclined to think that the modern Western dialogue on this subject has conditioned you into having those perceptions.

Ideas like anti-rationality, Reformed Epistemology, "faith vs reason", and so on actually happen to be more of a recent trend in the grand scheme. In the past, untold volumes were written by the religious about how they rationalized their beliefs and the relationship between theology and philosophy may have been messy at times, but it was an open one nonetheless. There were those who were critical of applying disciplined thought to religious dialectic, but by the same token there is no shortage of those on the other side of the aisle, rather there is a noteworthy abundance and it may be edifying for modern thinkers who subscribe to your perspective to check that against the writings of authors such as Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Peter Abelard, Avveroes, and Al-Ghazali, just to name a few.

Of interest to me, is that there is no other instance, naturally occurring, where it is profitable, advisable or an advantage, to disregard the Empirical Process/Formula,(quite the opposite is true).

It is interesting that you have mentioned Empiricism here because the Rationalists and Empiricists who did the most during the course of their debates to form the scientific method today (which is actually not identical to the school of philosophy known as Empiricism but a continually debated and emended synthesis of both Rationalism and Empiricism) were, by and large, religious themselves. At the time they called themselves "natural philosophers" and they didn't see faith as inimical to reason.

In fact, given any extended linguistic study it can be argued that the ancient root words for "faith" in Hebrew, Greek, and Classical Latin are all examples of words that imply a specific reasoning process themselves.

...In what is often called "the modern situation" we are collectively being faced with increasingly diverse mindsets from those around us...

Yeah, but a lot of it is just stupid crap. People seeking to put a new twist or spin on something and be considered 'smart'. Really until the aliens arrive to eat us, there is nothing new under the sun.

Yeah, but a lot of it is just stupid crap. People seeking to put a new twist or spin on something and be considered 'smart'. Really until the aliens arrive to eat us, there is nothing new under the sun.

I'd say "I wish I could be so sure as you, Tom" but I honestly don't wish that :) For me it's okay living in a world where I can be wrong. In that world sometimes it isn't so dull looking around me as it is in this world you're describing.

In a universe full of difficult questions at which we continually seem to fail, and fail hard, perhaps all of those people who try, and try hard, have come up with a few cool ideas worth my thinking about them. For all I know you really are right, Tom, there's no substance to the ideas at the end of the day and there's nothing new under the sun, but at least I get to be the sun.

Last edited:
Instead I've observed that they have more of a tendency to act out of self interest first, and responsible, sensible behavior isn't guaranteed or even all that likely in a lot of scenarios.
Of course it isn't guaranteed. But what does "responsible" and "sensible" mean to you in this context? Responsible and sensible towards whom? Groups always act out of self-interest; that's the whole point of people joining forces. Also, more often than not, those groups are the pillars of human society.
...you propianopteryx.

All words are really putting legs on a snake.

The mystical idea,faith perhaps, is that we are in the human realm and this constrained to human ideas.
A closed perspective with the idea of beyond.

Religion more a social construct reflecting complexity of human organization on one hand.
(Ideas of how we treat each other within that)

A sense of humility, knowing our position.
A sense if wonder ,knowing our position.
A sense of humor, even though it's difficult to find any jokes in the Bible.

Perhaps maths is the closest we can get to truth.

There's this blind man,right?
He fell into a pit.

I don't get it,Jesus.

Nobody gets it.

If A man asks for bread will you give him a stone?

Needs a bit of work.

I'd say "I wish I could be so sure as you, Tom" but I honestly don't wish that :) For me it's okay living in a world where I can be wrong. In that world sometimes it isn't so dull looking around me as it is in this world you're describing.

In a universe full of difficult questions at we which continually seem to fail, and fail hard, perhaps all of those people who try, and try hard, have come up with a few cool ideas worth my thinking about them. For all I know you really are right, Tom, there's no substance to the ideas at the end of the day and there's nothing new under the sun, but at least I get to be the sun.

Its fine. If you want to believe whatever. Just sharing my observations about how people endlessly create systems out of thin air and that balloons always pop or go flat in the end.

I enjoy being in the the sun too. The actual sun, with the real creatures of the world. Where even beautiful things can kill you. Its a pretty amazing planet just as it is, while it lasts that is. Stupid ass humans destroying that as well.

Its fine. If you want to believe whatever.

As it turns out I don't believe much of anything, friend.

Frankly I'd even be a bit surprised if you went as far down that rabbit hole of not believing as I find myself, skeptical even of whether logic represents anything more than something self referential, tautological and ultimately meaningless, unsure of whether language could have some semblance of a relationship with truth values in which virtually any statement could be justified beyond what I deem to be reasonable doubts.

When not in submission to that extreme of a skeptical mode, I live in a universe without a mind or any apparent order beyond what we've forced upon it through imaginative interpretation, an existence where the least amount of doubt I could extend is enough to let me assume that organisms, ourselves included, are biological machines. That life isn't quite so unique as we think it is, matter converting to energy and vice versa, arrangements of matter self perpetuating just the same as genetic molecules self replicate. A nihilistic universe is a fascinating, meaningless universe.

Just sharing my observations about how people endlessly create systems out of thin air and that balloons always pop or go flat in the end.

In that respect our assessments have been ultimately the same, as much as I habitually play devil's advocate for everyone who believes everything I don't. At the least I like to set the record straight when I can and think about the many popping balloons; in the end, before I pop or go flat myself, perhaps I can supply enough of my own meaning through sheer dint of will and imagination to convince myself by then that something noteworthy did indeed happen. Absurdism affords me some comfort.

@Propianotuner
You asked about the "sects" and "doctrine" of atheists. Well, it was all quite silly but here is how it was. I'll start with "doctrine". I'll keep it brief, it could go into pages of detail though I really can't remember everything anymore.

There were those who still read "the New Atheist" (Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Dennett) and those who thought they were just a bunch of sexist, privileged, bigoted, white men and that we should all pay attention to people like Greta Christina(who I personally found far too angry). There were basically no politics allowed but the far, far Left. Not even a left leaning Libertarian could survive the hostility. (And I am on the Left somewhere myself but found this exclusiveness unsettling). Chiropractors and herbal remedies faced extreme ridicule (somehow though a chiropractor chose to ignore this and just stuck around). There were those who wanted to do loads of charity to show the community how good we were and others who thought that was a terrible reason to go fill food baskets. Some were militant atheist who insisted on debating religious people every chance they had and there were those of us who saw no point and found it a bit rude. After awhile certain strains of "social justice" started showing up to the point where the "house cleaning" was starting. There simply was no disagreement allowed, even on the finer points but within the same basic views. Eventually the "house cleaning" led to what was actually illegal voting and banning members and of course people just leaving. And I assure you none of the banned members were MRA or KKK or anything even close. The "house cleaning" people ran off African Americans, the LGBT;ect....(my way of writing it, no offense intended but I can't keep up) for not being Black "properly"(as judged by a white guy) and for reasons I can't quite sort out with the LGBT. The "house cleaner" was just a bit of a disaster in his attempts to be an "Ally" to everyone who I don't think wanted him. And this leads me to the "sects".

So new groups were spawned, only one of those went on to amount to anything. The original group seems to have dwindled in actual participating members and recently went through some sorta "schism" The main "house cleaner" from that original group long ago ceased being a part of it or any other group for reason I am not aware of.

The new group that formed and flourished brought with it another strain of social justice and has once again managed to alienate people. It's very "diverse" meaning very white (everybody else ends up wandering off, guess they don't quite feel comfortable) with only one set of allowed politics and recently started doing a little "house cleaning" of it's own with strict new rules. My husband had been lurking (it was a FB group) but finally it got to be too much to even watch so he found his maturity and left.

I personally with both groups felt uncomfortable with their treatment of anybody who didn't meet their strict standards of atheism and social justice and politics. The written rules and unwritten rules are so narrow that plenty of very nice people would not be truly welcomed. And despite claims of being friendly toward disabilities it was more that sorta thing where if you are disabled you may come in but expect to be ignored, excluded, patronized, ect... You know, there is a ramp but everybody sits at the tall tables so the person in the wheel chair is stuck at the low tables unable to participate. (I did point this out and got a shoulder shrug)

Anyhoo, enough, it's long over and hardly a rare occurrence. But that is how atheist can act like religious groups. It's like there is just some sorta innate sense of tribalism within people that will come out with or without a belief in a deity or holy books.

The literal sun?

Hopefully not the homonym sun.

before I pop or go flat myself, perhaps I will have supplied enough meaning through sheer dint of imagination to convince myself by then that something noteworthy did indeed happen. Absurdism affords me some comfort

Not meaning but context within our closed system.

Rain or sunlight to a flower has meaning only in the sense those things assist in the functioning purpose of the current manifestation of energy called a flower.

But isn't that also absurd? :)

Ok, @Propianotuner , you also asked about the UU church. I will keep it simple here because I am not a UUer myself and so am unqualified to go into much detail.

The Unitarians have long ceased to be Christian but merged in around 1960 or so with the Universalist, an unorthodox group of Christians. There is a group of basic principals that everyone sorta shares, basic ethics and morals, but that's it.

The Unitarians have a copy of the Bible in the library along with books from every other religion and copies of Emerson

... Absurdism affords me some comfort...

Ah, now you're talking. Me too. :D

But actually I do follow a religion. I also follow science and observed nature. The thing is I can never make them fit together. Like one is Lego and the other K-nex.

And as far as I can tell, no one can link their supernatural beliefs to observable science. Hence the separation.

Ah, now you're talking. Me too. :D

But actually I do follow a religion. I also follow science and observed nature. The thing is I can never make them fit together. Like one is Lego and the other K-nex.

And as far as I can tell, no one can link their supernatural beliefs to observable science. Hence the separation.

Is science itself so sacrosanct either?

Is science itself so sacrosanct either?
No. Its full of half cocked/baked ideas and misconceptions. You can see that just in autism studies. Something often the result of egos reaching to far with too little data. But at least, they are only temporary place holders until something with stronger evidence and comes along.

That is in a healthy independent scientific community. The more politics exerts control the less reliable it becomes. It is undeniable however, like a ever increasing tide, over the millenia science has so far managed to continue to advance.

Hopefully not the homonym sun.

You mean... :eek: Well I guess there's worst ways to go.

image_4444e-ASASSN-15lh.jpg

Last edited:
To start with here, I'd like to thank all of you for your participation and intend to do my best in this post to address much of the noteworthy material in the thread. Sadly I can't get to all of it as you have certainly been stimulating conversation partners here.

In what is often called "the modern situation" we are collectively being faced with increasingly diverse mindsets from those around us. Pluralism isn't going anywhere and I definitely doubt how well this old perspective on religion is going to hold up moving forward, religion as "a set of supernatural beliefs" may start to grind roughly against people around the world who don't self identify that way or understand the practice of religion along those lines.

This is especially true of Near Eastern and Eastern cultures. It's not a guess on my part but almost certainly a fact that there are people living near you who don't think of (just as a few common examples) their Taoist, Confucian, Hindu, or Buddhist beliefs as necessarily supernatural.

If you don't mind me asking: what kinds of doctrines and sects are we talking about?

I had never heard of a group being both unitarian and universalist before this post. Frankly I'm very curious to hear from unitarians why place as much importance as they do on following ethical and other philosophical concepts within the Bible, if they don't believe in its supernatural elements. It's difficult for me to understand all of those teachings being true for people without what I see as much of the impetus underlying them.

It's curious to me how many people take issue with the idea of exclusivism. Having come from such a religion it has always made perfect sense to me how religions around the world, some of other varieties than monotheism included, can be mutually exclusive. There are fundamental contradictions in how they understand reality, so of course such people aren't going to believe in the possibility of a round square.

Well, my friend, as it turns out I'm an agnostic for mostly the same reasons ;)

I'm not so sure your given example lends credence to the idea that groups of people are responsible. However, now that I think on the issue further it really was too narrow minded of me to assume that groups as a matter of course can't be responsible.

Instead I've observed that they have more of a tendency to act out of self interest first, and responsible, sensible behavior isn't guaranteed or even all that likely in a lot of scenarios. You have correctly pointed out that the scales tip towards the other end as well, and such behavior can definitely be more likely. I hardly need to point out any examples of unethical and destructive behavior engaged in by companies.

Ah, but if a definition is just about anything then it isn't much of a definition, is it?

Not to be too presumptive about your exposure to religious thought, but I'm inclined to think that the modern Western dialogue on this subject has conditioned you into having those perceptions.

Ideas like anti-rationality, Reformed Epistemology, "faith vs reason", and so on actually happen to be more of a recent trend in the grand scheme. In the past, untold volumes were written by the religious about how they rationalized their beliefs and the relationship between theology and philosophy may have been messy at times, but it was an open one nonetheless. There were those who were critical of applying disciplined thought to religious dialectic, but by the same token there is no shortage of those on the other side of the aisle, rather there is a noteworthy abundance and it may be edifying for modern thinkers who subscribe to your perspective to check that against the writings of authors such as Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Peter Abelard, Avveroes, and Al-Ghazali, just to name a few.

It is interesting that you have mentioned Empiricism here because the Rationalists and Empiricists who did the most during the course of their debates to form the scientific method today (which is actually not identical to the school of philosophy known as Empiricism but a continually debated and emended synthesis of both Rationalism and Empiricism) were, by and large, religious themselves. At the time they called themselves "natural philosophers" and they didn't see faith as inimical to reason.

In fact, given any extended linguistic study it can be argued that the ancient root words for "faith" in Hebrew, Greek, and Classical Latin are all examples of words that imply a specific reasoning process themselves.
As it turns out I don't believe much of anything, friend.

Frankly I'd even be a bit surprised if you went as far down that rabbit hole of not believing as I find myself, skeptical even of whether logic represents anything more than something self referential, tautological and ultimately meaningless, unsure of whether language could have some semblance of a relationship with truth values in which virtually any statement could be justified beyond what I deem to be reasonable doubts.

When not in submission to that extreme of a skeptical mode, I live in a universe without a mind or any apparent order beyond what we've forced upon it through imaginative interpretation, an existence where the least amount of doubt I could extend is enough to let me assume that organisms, ourselves included, are biological machines. That life isn't quite so unique as we think it is, matter converting to energy and vice versa, arrangements of matter self perpetuating just the same as genetic molecules self replicate. A nihilistic universe is a fascinating, meaningless universe.

In that respect our assessments have been ultimately the same, as much as I habitually play devil's advocate for everyone who believes everything I don't. At the least I like to set the record straight when I can and think about the many popping balloons; in the end, before I pop or go flat myself, perhaps I can supply enough of my own meaning through sheer dint of will and imagination to convince myself by then that something noteworthy did indeed happen. Absurdism affords me some comfort.
Wait, I had something for this...
Yeah...
No, it's gone.
(Opportunity lost)
(Obscure "Archer" reference)
I'm going to warn you, in advance, that I intend to rebut this. Just can't find ANY damn time.
I'm COMING for you! LOL.

I went to the UUs for awhile.
It was a 45 mile trip, one way.

They were very self consciously liberal.
They did have a library of books to lend out.

They had a Christmas cookie bake.
They sang "Row, Row, Row Your Boat,"
as a devotional.

It was a little too.....vague...for me, eventually.
Pleasant, but vague.

I believe I had been expecting something
more Ralph Waldo Emerson, initially, not
realizing that U had merged with U.

I went to the UUs for awhile.
It was a 45 mile trip, one way.

They were very self consciously liberal.
They did have a library of books to lend out.

They had a Christmas cookie bake.
They sang "Row, Row, Row Your Boat,"
as a devotional.

It was a little too.....vague...for me, eventually.
Pleasant, but vague.

I believe I had been expecting something
more Ralph Waldo Emerson, initially, not
realizing that U had merged with U.

I go maybe twice a year with my husband. You never know what you will get from Sunday to Sunday and from what I understand from church to church. The first UU he attended had science lectures every Sunday morning. I would go more often than twice a year if the local church was like that one.

New Threads

Top Bottom