• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What does it mean when someone asks "can I ask you a personal question?"

Acorn_Elf

Some lady I know texted me asking "can I ask you a personal question?" So I said "I guess." She never texted back. What could it be or mean? I keep wondering now.

I find it often means, "I want your permission to ask you a question that social convention tells me would offend you, yet I want to know the answer so I'll power through it anyway"

Hmmm....well, I've always thought that "Can I ask you a personal question" usually means that the question that follows might be of a sensitive nature that should be carefully considered and treated as a private matter - that's just me tho.

To me, it means that:

1. They want to learn more about you and further the relationship.
2. They are aware that there are levels of personal boundaries that they should respect.
3. They are not completely certain that they have become close enough friends with you to ask what they're about to ask.
4. They want to remove that uncertainty while respecting any boundaries that may exist.

It's never a bad thing for them to ask that question. Also, even if you say "yes", you still don't have to answer their question.

"May I ask you a personal question?" he asked.
"Sure," she replied.
"How much money do you make?" he asked.
"I'd rather not say." she replied.

Maybe they’re just trying to think of a way to word it without offending you in any way. This often takes time.

The word "personal" can mean all sorts of things, from details about your sex life, to your bank balance, what you had for breakfast or your religious beliefs. You can always ask the subject of the question before consenting to go any further, and even if you do consent to the question being asked, it doesn't mean you have to answer it. "I'd rather not say" is polite; otherwise, "Mind your own business" will do!

New Threads

Top Bottom