• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you like about your autism?

What do you like about your autism?

• Beautiful lights

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Synesthesia

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My special interest

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Special taste/color perception

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Stimming

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Memory

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • NOTHING

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Fantasy/imagination

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
It's like a relative you can't get rid of, Autistic/Aspergers is a family member you have to hangout with because you are blood related in some horrible first cousin way. If l could truly cut this part out of me then l would be on the Twlight Zone. But on the other side is that we have a need to truly express this enigma/malfunction of the junction to any poor sap within forum threads.

Yes, let's celebrate. lol HoodieAnt, l am afraid is a optimist.

Dreams can be so irritating and weird for me. My first dream at a young age, my goldfish died, l woke up at my grandmother's and called my mom and told her my fish was dead, could she check? That dream still makes me sad like it was my fault. My mom confirmed, like it would never cross her mind that it was traumatic to children on the spectrum.

This sort of thing is why I'm glad that my own dreams are like a Salvador Dali painting viewed through a warped stained-glass window by a 5-dimensional squirrel on an acid trip. None of that "depressing topics" stuff. Dont need that while sleeping, it's bad enough during the day.

The good things:
1) Very good memory. I memorize poems, scriptures, quotes, songs - I memorize anything that I like so I can have it with me whenever I want.
2) Read super fast.
3) Extremely good at "systems of rules". This includes math, programming, traffic, language, etc. If I can learn the rules to something, I can find implications, tricks, and hacks that no one else notices.

Ah, memory. How I wish I had one.

But then, there's.... math....

MATH....

371-vampire.jpg

This sort of thing is why I'm glad that my own dreams are like a Salvador Dali painting viewed through a warped stained-glass window by a 5-dimensional squirrel on an acid trip. None of that "depressing topics" stuff. Dont need that while sleeping, it's bad enough during the day.

Ah, memory. How I wish I had one.

But then, there's.... math....

MATH....

View attachment 57832

Beautifully said. lol

Choose one or more!
And write if you want!

-------------------------------
I did this poll because many people hate their autism. There's always a bright side but it's often so small. Let's make a list of the good things of autism!

Thanks! Awesome Poll. I think that the bright side is often much larger than is considered because it seems to be human nature to focus on the negative. I think we need more positive input!

My case is a good example. Until I discovered that I was autistic I hated my life because I only viewed the negative. Now I see it in a different light.

I feel that I owe my life to my autism. I do not believe I would have achieved what I have otherwise. I was born into a very impoverished family in a very backwards town in rural Texas. My performance in school was terrible. I was unable to learn as taught by the teachers. I was regarded as retarded. In reality however, I can learn, just not as taught in school. I learn best by myself.

I guess my strength was my focused passion of electronic circuits. That passion has remained since single digit age to present. But it is that passion that self-educated myself to have ended up as a highly regarded Senior Electronics Design engineer. I was the only one at the design firm where I ended up without a college degree but was pursued by all the other engineers, with esteemed degrees, asking me theory and design questions. Considering my origins, I am sure that if I were not autistic, there is no chance I would have ever ended up in this position.

All my life, I have hated being so weird and retarded, but until just this year, I never knew about autism. That puts a whole new perspective on my life. Now I can see how autism has been the propelling force of my career and life. Wow, what a difference this perspective has made. Finally, I am proud of my “retardedness”, now that I know that it was really autism!

I'm rather good at words and writing. Most people cringe when they have to write a 12 page essay; I look forward to it and finish pretty quickly.

What I like about my autistic self.

I like that I think outside of the box (if the box were the size of the planet)
I like having wonderful and quirky spectrum people in my life
I like that I have been forced to think for myself
I like all of my many extreme interests and obsessions
I like being so different
I like that it has taught me compassion for people who are different than me

Last edited:
I used to have the stereotypical Aspie memory, which also made school easy for me, education-wise, up until college where classes got harder and I started losing that memory (it’s long gone now, these days I’ve been known to be actively watching a show and forget what’s on during commercial breaks:oops:) (didn’t help that I went in with exactly zero study skills because I’d never actually had to study before). I miss that. I think it’s the one good thing I got from my autism, but it’s gone now.

I can not think of anything really. Several mentioned memory, but mine is shoddy. I can not think of anything I enjoy that I would not also enjoy without being autistic. Or any attributes I have that I would not have without autism.

I like it because it has taught me to appreciate others and their differences. But sometimes this is why l also don't like it because l don't want to be the underdog for being seen as weird.

But l do feel creative and l enjoy bringing that to anything l create.

I like it because l celebrate that l don't need to have somebody glued to me 24/7.

I like it because it's forced me to stand up for myself when l don't see or respond in a NT world and follow along like sheeple.

l like it because this forum was created as a result of this blessing/trait/weirdly diverseness and we all can say something here with nobody complaining about the content.

I like some points like my interests but also has [low] points like with dd limits me on some things no matter how hard you work which was very frustrating when growing up would hit the wall and did not know about the meltdowns and needing to have alone time.

Not one thing i`l gladly remove my ASD and all the so called FEW " gifts " i got with this and all the other diagnosis as the downside of this VASTLY Outway the positives and the price i had to pay to get this few " gifts "

I used to have the stereotypical Aspie memory, which also made school easy for me, education-wise, up until college where classes got harder and I started losing that memory (it’s long gone now, these days I’ve been known to be actively watching a show and forget what’s on during commercial breaks:oops:) (didn’t help that I went in with exactly zero study skills because I’d never actually had to study before). I miss that. I think it’s the one good thing I got from my autism, but it’s gone now.

I will add that I’m another who wants their autism gone. Sure, I wouldn’t be the person I am now, but the thing is, I don’t like me as I am. The only good thing I got is long gone, and now I’m left with only neutrals and negatives. I would gladly literally give an arm and a leg (my own) to have it gone.

I dislike my Autism and in my experience N/T opportunity and personal experiences of being, labelled, underemployed and generally’down’ about being me, apologies it’s been a horrid day

I dislike my Autism and in my experience N/T opportunity and personal experiences of being, labelled, underemployed and generally’down’ about being me, apologies it’s been a horrid day

we must live in the same place- my day started good then morphed into me remembering evil ex and his loose fingers. Hope you are doing better.

we must live in the same place- my day started good then morphed into me remembering evil ex and his loose fingers. Hope you are doing better.
Thanks had my Grand-Daughter for a sleepover which was lovely, think my drinking alcohol habit is making my mood worse, gonna try not to drink for a bit and see if that shifts my perspective, it's a beautiful sunny day so plan to be outdoors and enjoy the sunshine, also have slipped into a pattern of seeing to much of my 'evil' ex and feel silly for doing this but feel lonely ATM

New Threads

Top Bottom