• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you like about your autism?

What do you like about your autism?

• Beautiful lights

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Synesthesia

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My special interest

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Special taste/color perception

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Stimming

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Memory

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • NOTHING

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Fantasy/imagination

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

HoodieAnt

Choose one or more!
And write if you want!

-------------------------------
I did this poll because many people hate their autism. There's always a bright side but it's often so small. Let's make a list of the good things of autism!

Last edited:
I like that is has given me a fantastic memory.
I also like how it has made me different. This used to be a major negative, but I've chosen to stop fighting my aspergers and now see this as a positive

I like it because it has taught me to appreciate others and their differences. But sometimes this is why l also don't like it because l don't want to be the underdog for being seen as weird.

But l do feel creative and l enjoy bringing that to anything l create.

I like it because l celebrate that l don't need to have somebody glued to me 24/7.

I like it because it's forced me to stand up for myself when l don't see or respond in a NT world and follow along like sheeple.

l like it because this forum was created as a result of this blessing/trait/weirdly diverseness and we all can say something here with nobody complaining about the content.

My attention to detail, my ability to retain, memorize and reproduce information and music almost eidetically (I'm a trivia powerhouse :p ) my deadpan sense of humor, my skill at wordplay and my ability to put my thoughts into writing. Oh, and sometimes my sensitive hearing and smell can be a plus.

My eidetic memory is the main feature I sing praises of, but at the same time wouldn't wish it on an enemy because of the distractions it presents.

The filing and retrieval system in place is baffling to say the least.

When in deep thought, I get microbursts of images that come in numbers too many to count.
They are always crystal clear and crisp to boot.
I named that part of it the flurry because of how it looks.
I was granted a serious amount of intelligence to go with the package, but I'm not sure if the spectrum plays a role in that part.

Memory
Systemising
Imagination
Pattern Recognition
Sideways thinking
Rapid learning
Emotional detachment
The fascinating friends I've made in the autistic community

I'm glad of the memory and imagination. But I also like that I don't feel like I have to dress or look like everyone my age group and can wear what I like, whether it's stylish or not. I really like that a lot. I would hate to have to wear things I didn't like just to look like everyone else.

A few advantages:

1. I'm fast. Like, *really* fast, to the point of it being very abnormal. I dont mean physically. I mean in terms of mental processing speed. A great many things may as well be in slow motion to me. In the time it takes for someone to swing a fist at me, I have enough time to form a complex plan to deal with them after their swing is complete. Fortunately this hasnt happened IRL, but it sure happens in games alot. Downside: slow things are slllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

2. Really coordinated.

3. Can mentally track & process a huge number of things at once. Downside: Absolutely incapable of focusing on ONE thing at a time. Not enough things to focus on? I space out.

4. Very good at extrapolation and prediction.

5. Extremely sensitive hearing. Dont bother trying to sneak up on me for a scare. You may not hear yourself moving, but I knew you were down the hall coming towards me anyway. A freaking cat cant sneak up on me. Added bonus: I can sneak up on YOU. If even I cant hear myself move... you sure cant either. I actually do this pretty frequently, because it's hilarious. Downside: loud things are loud.

6. Great with animals! Best one yet.

7. Dreams are hyper-bizarre. This makes them constantly interesting. It may also be part of why I tend to be less affected by super weird stuff IRL.

But I also like that I don't feel like I have to dress or look like everyone my age group and can wear what I like, whether it's stylish or not. I really like that a lot. I would hate to have to wear things I didn't like just to look like everyone else.

Yes! This one. I'll wear what I bloody well want to, and to heck with current trends.

Well... to a point. What I really like is my various costumes, but I cant get away with those on an average day. I find this irritating.

A few advantages:

1. I'm fast. Like, *really* fast, to the point of it being very abnormal. I dont mean physically. I mean in terms of mental processing speed. A great many things may as well be in slow motion to me. In the time it takes for someone to swing a fist at me, I have enough time to form a complex plan to deal with them after their swing is complete. Fortunately this hasnt happened IRL, but it sure happens in games alot. Downside: slow things are slllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

2. Really coordinated.

3. Can mentally track & process a huge number of things at once. Downside: Absolutely incapable of focusing on ONE thing at a time. Not enough things to focus on? I space out.

4. Very good at extrapolation and prediction.

5. Extremely sensitive hearing. Dont bother trying to sneak up on me for a scare. You may not hear yourself moving, but I knew you were down the hall coming towards me anyway. A freaking cat cant sneak up on me. Added bonus: I can sneak up on YOU. If even I cant hear myself move... you sure cant either. I actually do this pretty frequently, because it's hilarious. Downside: loud things are loud.

6. Great with animals! Best one yet.

7. Dreams are hyper-bizarre. This makes them constantly interesting. It may also be part of why I tend to be less affected by super weird stuff IRL.

Yes! This one. I'll wear what I bloody well want to, and to heck with current trends.

Well... to a point. What I really like is my various costumes, but I cant get away with those on an average day. I find this irritating.

Dreams can be so irritating and weird for me. My first dream at a young age, my goldfish died, l woke up at my grandmother's and called my mom and told her my fish was dead, could she check? That dream still makes me sad like it was my fault. My mom confirmed, like it would never cross her mind that it was traumatic to children on the spectrum.

Not a question I can easily answer, other than to state that I consider my autism in general to be something that amounts to a "love/hate relationship".

A dynamic that should not come as a surprise to most of us. ;)

1. I'm fast. Like, *really* fast, to the point of it being very abnormal.
2. Really coordinated.
3. Can mentally track & process a huge number of things at once.

Me, too, but exactly opposite!
1) Not fast. Very meticulous and deliberate.
2) Could fall off the floor.
3) Can multitask up to one thing at a time. Switching tasks can take longer than doing the actual tasks.

The good things:
1) Very good memory. I memorize poems, scriptures, quotes, songs - I memorize anything that I like so I can have it with me whenever I want.
2) Read super fast.
3) Extremely good at "systems of rules". This includes math, programming, traffic, language, etc. If I can learn the rules to something, I can find implications, tricks, and hacks that no one else notices.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom