• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do I do?

codyawalter

I suppose a normal person would probably go ask his/her friends about this if it came up, but im not normal. Whether I truly have aspergers or not, infeel that the people on thus forum understand me better than anybody else. My question here is complicated, but I'll try to simplify. Here it goes. My girlfriend means everything to me. She is the one person that I am open to and I couldn't imagine life without her. We are both currently in high school and are planning on staying together once we are finished. The original plan was for her to go to college with me, but then she changed her mind. Now she wishes to travel the world. Needless to say, this change in plan has lead to several breakdowns from that time to this one. I know that I need to go to college, but being without Ashley is unacceptable. Despite the fact that it isn't anything close to logical, I am considering going with her. I'm worried, I'm freaking out, and I need some opinions. Opinions help me feel better and help me to realize where I stand. If I did go with her I would go to college after we were back to the US a few years down the line. What would any of you do in this situation?

Well first of all I am sorry to hear that you're having trouble in your relationship. I hope it gets better. Second my thought is has she thought about changing her plans at all to be with you? Would she be willing to go to school first and see the world second. The world will always be there but the ability to go to college well it may not. How badly do you want to go to college? There seems to be a need for compromise here. I know how much you care about you're girlfriend its obvious that its tearing you apart not to be with her...Are you worried that if you don't go with her that she'll end up with someone else? Not saying that's the case so please don't take it that way. I am just trying to figure out what part are you worried and freaking out over. What do your parents think? Can you talk to them about it too?

I really hope things get better for you...we're all here to lend an ear if you need us.

As is my understanding, a lot of people defer collage for a year or too to gain some life experience and shake off the stress of that first bit of schooling before diving into it again by going to university.
I think you may need to get a definite confirmation of the girlfriend’s feelings in all this; it seems to me as though she is also confused about a few things.

Good luck with everything, hope things work out for you in a beneficial way ; ]

Traveling the world before going to college is not a bad idea. People I have known who took some time off before starting college seemed to have a more level-headed view of what they wanted, and how to get there, than people who went straight to college.

Has your girlfriend asked you to go with her? If not, have you asked how she would feel if you went with her?

I suppose a normal person would probably go ask his/her friends about this if it came up, but im not normal. Whether I truly have aspergers or not, infeel that the people on thus forum understand me better than anybody else. My question here is complicated, but I'll try to simplify. Here it goes. My girlfriend means everything to me. She is the one person that I am open to and I couldn't imagine life without her. We are both currently in high school and are planning on staying together once we are finished. The original plan was for her to go to college with me, but then she changed her mind. Now she wishes to travel the world. Needless to say, this change in plan has lead to several breakdowns from that time to this one. I know that I need to go to college, but being without Ashley is unacceptable. Despite the fact that it isn't anything close to logical, I am considering going with her. I'm worried, I'm freaking out, and I need some opinions. Opinions help me feel better and help me to realize where I stand. If I did go with her I would go to college after we were back to the US a few years down the line. What would any of you do in this situation?

Sometimes it's important to keep your head cool in situations like this, sometimes you should just go with a flow... It's hard to say which case is this...
a couple of questions:
Does she want to travel the world with you?
What do you mean by "travel the world"? Go and see some sights or move to another country, get a job and live there for a while?
In both cases (if you are planning to do it together) it could be a good reality check for you both, you will be able to see if you can stay together for the rest of your lives or not. The second option would be way better reality check though :)

And one more opinion from an older lady with kids :) you have to think of yourself, and your future. If you have one of those love for life beautiful fairy-tale situations (believe it or not I've met at least 3 couples like that) then no matter what's going on in your lives you'll make it, travel the world, go to college, get jobs, get married and live happily ever after. If relationships showing some minor cracks already, then it might be tough and you might end up with nothing in the end...

If you have wealthy parents though, then you'll probably be fine either way :)

Personally, at your age I wasn't a big believer in love and wasn't even completely sure what it was. But... I've met people who didn't stay with loved ones and regretted it later blaming themselves for the rest of their lives, I also met people who did stay together and still regretted their choice, because they got bored and wanted to explore other possibilities but it was too late.

If you were definitely on the spectrum I would ask you ... even though... what's the hell, doesn't matter... are you sure that it's love not an obsession?

OK, I'm done. You don't have to listen to me, but I hope some things that I say can be useful.

New Threads

Top Bottom