• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your thoughts on horror movies?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I used to really hate violence in anything. I do not like violence on TV, in movies etc.
I hate slasher flicks where they just hack someone to pieces and I find most horror movies too scary and do not watch them anymore.
I also do not like crime shows or real life crime shows. I also do not like movies where they swear too much.

I have seen ones though..
I have seen scream, scream 2&3 I think, I know what you did last summer, I still know, final destination and probably 2 &3, the craft, the shining, the byrds, the village, the sixth sense, the happening, signs and a few others.
I always hated the slasher ones though I had to look away and hated them
And the others did scare me and I lost interest eventually because I think even the the sixth sense and the happening scared me too.
Someone showed me saw and that was the worst thing ever.
Even beetlejuice, Addams family and hocus pocus is scary to me.
There are things about those movies that freak me out.
What about u?

I often find I'm disappointed with horror movies. If I get the creeps when watching a horror movie then I'm impressed.
Movies like The Shining are proper horror movies and I enjoy watching that each time.
I hate when horror movies are predictable and nothing creepy or scary happens. Like when it consists of teenagers staying in a haunted house and they play pranks on each other until real haunting things start happening but the haunting things are barely shown, just a load of blood and screaming, and it's just not scary.

If I were to make a horror movie I would have a really eerie, haunting, ghostly, depressing theme (like the theme to Midsomer Murders), have the story set in a really old-fashioned house (or any building) with really old furniture and old appliances, with really creepy and unsettling vibes throughout, like the old Mark Twain children's programme.

The sort of atmosphere to take you to the uncanny valley and really give you the creeps.

To me the horror genre began to morph into something else in the late 70s. When slasher movies seem to sell far more than what I would consider to be "classic" horror films of much earlier eras, when ambience was more important than gratuitous violence. More art, and less shock- and blood.

But then I feel relatively immune from an emotional response regarding Hollywood films in general. Mostly because of the "culture shock" I first encountered in seeing so many of my university acquaintances show me so many images from their homicide investigation textbooks as criminal justice majors. And to think that up to that point I thought I had seen it all. But then unlike the movies, these images were the real thing. -Real horror.

Though at times I do appreciate select special effects, such as "The Thing" (1982). For what it's worth, I still enjoy so many of those Universal horror movies made in the 30s and 40s. Relatively lame when it comes to special effects, but the ambience created (especially in black and white) was marvelous.

Last edited:
Since 2002, officially, I help make them sometimes - a handful of areas I can offer. I have been desensitized to it since a young age overall, but more than that, I think that having and knowing the creative abilities and the many jobs and edits in making the projects work and "come to life" makes it even harder to be scared by them. There are still some that give me a jolt or really excite me for how shocking they are, and it's more of the cerebral surprises pulled than just gore. I agree that fewer horror movies lately know to create an atmosphere and use suspense like they should. I could list a good many films that IMO get horror just right, but to keep this from becoming an OCD rant of which I may not stop, haha, I will just say that the best horror film of this year is, "Talk To Me."

I often find I'm disappointed with horror movies. If I get the creeps when watching a horror movie then I'm impressed.
Movies like The Shining are proper horror movies and I enjoy watching that each time.
I hate when horror movies are predictable and nothing creepy or scary happens. Like when it consists of teenagers staying in a haunted house and they play pranks on each other until real haunting things start happening but the haunting things are barely shown, just a load of blood and screaming, and it's just not scary.

If I were to make a horror movie I would have a really eerie, haunting, ghostly, depressing theme (like the theme to Midsomer Murders), have the story set in a really old-fashioned house (or any building) with really old furniture and old appliances, with really creepy and unsettling vibes throughout, like the old Mark Twain children's programme.

The sort of atmosphere to take you to the uncanny valley and really give you the creeps.
I would like to go in a haunted house like on a set or something someone made. I like a bit scary but I could never stay in a real haunted house.
I do not like to believe in ghosts they give me the creeps.
I like creepy things sometimes like at Halloween but too gruesome and it gives me the creeps.
I just like a little gothic and creepy.

I can't stand watching humans fighting or getting hurt, injured, tortured or what have you, but I love a good cheesy paranormal show or movie that doesn't involve violence or gore.

If anyone has some cheesy recommendations, please send them my way, BTW :D

Neutral. Not a fan but not opposed. But I don't like gorey violent ones for sure.

I would like to go in a haunted house like on a set or something someone made. I like a bit scary but I could never stay in a real haunted house.
I do not like to believe in ghosts they give me the creeps.
I like creepy things sometimes like at Halloween but too gruesome and it gives me the creeps.
I just like a little gothic and creepy.
I'd love to go in a real abandoned building and experience supernatural activity for myself, even though I'll be terrified but I'm just into that thrill seeking stuff. But it appears to be illegal to enter abandoned properties nowadays, or they're inhabited by aggressive homeless junkies that are more scarier than any horror movie, but aggressive homeless drug-abusers aren't the sort of thrill I want to seek.

To this day, my favorite horror film remains "The Haunting" (1963)

Filmed in black and white, and with a minimum of special effects and gore. Allowing your imagination to wander...

Simply brilliant...:cool:

Another of a similar nature- "The Innocents" (1961)

Last edited:
To this day, my favorite horror film remains "The Haunting" (1963)

Wow, I didn't realize that the '99 version was a semi-remake of an older movie. I love that one so much that I'm going to have to check the original out :)

I have pictures from a few film locations that I just randomly took, and there are anomalies there. I tried showing them as they only are, and I was accused of photoshop. I understand, I guess because of the film related things that I could pull off, if I truly wanted to...but these are completely unedited and the real thing. I used to ghost hunt with some close friends, but we stuck close to home and ran out of places to go. I have definitely seen and heard some things that come to no other conclusion besides those places are active.

I used to watch horror movies when I was younger but then I lost interest. Something about it affects me too much, I feel a little down and gloomy when the movie is over. Horror is dark and gloomy and I don't really need that in my life, far from it. The last horror movie I watched a while ago was "Hereditary", it was dark and gloomy. I prefer to watch comedies, something more uplifting and fun.

I used to watch horror movies when I was younger but then I lost interest. Something about it affects me too much
I’ve had a similar experience. I used to watch so many and I would really push it in terms of crazy stuff.

I think I was feeling numb back then and I would do anything just to feel something.

Now though, too much real life has passed, and I’m not able to watch horror movies with the interest I once had.

Although, I will go back and watch Evil Dead just for kicks every now and then.

Although, I will go back and watch Evil Dead just for kicks every now and then.

Yeah I will gladly watch Evil Dead again, for the n'th time :) I don't really see that as a horror movie. It's a classic and it's just groovy. ;)
All three of them. Bruce Campbell should have won Oscars.

Last edited:
Not exactly movies, but I love the Animated Horrir Flicks channel on YouTube. They have smooth and beautiful animation, and the stories are creepy but are rarely gory. It’s more of the kind of fear that’s psychological. I think my favorites he’s made are The Midnight Ghost, Pizza Delivery and The Haunted House! Great for dipping my toes into horror.

I can't handle anything morbid, including horror movies or war, or shooting, killing action movies or even nature movies that shows any animals being killed.

However, there are some horror movies that I actually like. For example; "Housebound" and "The House with a Clock in it's Walls". Both of these are actually funny comedies, but Housebound seems like a full on horror movie until near the end where you discover [Caution! Spoiler alert] there is no evil ghost or spirit or anything like that. Everything that made all the spooky, scary stuff was actually someone who is trying to help. That's when you realize it is all funny instead of scary. There are some bloody scenes, but they are too fake (I think on purpose) to be taken seriously or scary. A very well crafted movie.

I like The House with a clock in it's walls because it was entertaining and Lewis ended up with a very loving family. Loving, because they were all "misfits". I guess that appeals to me because I am a misfit.

I do have a fascination with horror movies such as Stephen king. I love the shinning, doctor sleep, silver bullet, It, etc. I also love silence of the lambs as well. I don’t like some slasher movies such as scream and saw. I find them to be very boring.

New Threads

Top Bottom