• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your sensory issues?

I've also just realised I have so many more of these problem.

I HATE strangers touching me, even brushing against me when in public, I hate perfume / aftershave sections in shops and can't be there for more than 5 minutes at a time. I have the same issue with foods (Looks, smells, temperatures, textures and any other reason my mind wants to tell me that whatever it is will kill or harm me), Balloons (blowing up and popping of them), certain fabrics (scratchy ones, some wools and stuff that is like silk / sheer). Busy patterened clothes is also something that can feel like it hurts to look at. I know this is even weirder, but things that aren't level or equal kinda make me feel uneasy too....

Jees, what a list haha

>I don't know if its just me or if it's common or if it's related or unrelated(still fully discovering all this!) but I seem to have super super super sensitive skin. EVERYTHING tickles me. Everything. It means I can't really be touched without me screaming and curling into a ball. My boyfriend has been nice about it, everything is referred to as "Operation Don't Tickle Kelsey" but I think it's strange. Interesting, anyway. Again, I don't know if it even has anything to do with Asperger's.

Oh my gosh! I have this too! I posted a bit about it in When Touch Becomes Unbearable but wasn't able to adequately explain it like you did. :) Glad to know i'm not alone. :)

I think I mentioned all this before, but anyway...

I try not to let it bother me normally so I won’t usually take much notice but, I really cannot stand the muted cacophony of electronics and whitegoods.

The other day I went all over the lounge looking for this tiny hum, it wasn't the telly, it wasn't the computer, it wasn't the cat (wait, what... I don't have a cat)!
It was a pocket hard drive I had sat on the desk, it was happily transferring some files for me, because there was some papers under one end it was just a hairs breadth off the desktop so it was whirring away.

The Xbox also whirs while the disc is spinning up to load the game and the fridge & freezer both hum softly almost to themselves, they take it in turns oddly, the motor on one will kick in just as the other one shuts off, or so it seems (sneaky blighters).

The TV will join in on all this by making noisy certain colours, like if there is and advertisement for something and the back ground is predominantly a primary colour or something neon the TV goes ooooooooohhh, but if the background is a muted colour it's like mmmmmmmmmmmm. If the background is all white the TV has the audacity to tell me to ssshhhhhhhhh.

Maybe I only really notice this because of how quiet the house is, or so people tell me, truth is, all electronics buzz, whir, hum and on occasion, whistle [ask a dog].

Oh, how about the smell of ants talking... yes ants communicate with a vapour trail of pheromones apparently and I can smell that, maybe that is why I am depressed, the ants are having a party and everyone is invited except me LOL

I think I mentioned all this before, but anyway...

I try not to let it bother me normally so I won?t usually take much notice but, I really cannot stand the muted cacophony of electronics and whitegoods.

The TV will join in on all this by making noisy certain colours, like if there is and advertisement for something and the back ground is predominantly a primary colour or something neon the TV goes ooooooooohhh, but if the background is a muted colour it's like mmmmmmmmmmmm. If the background is all white the TV has the audacity to tell me to shussh...

Ive always been like this! The screen on my computer used to hum to different colours on it, but I used to find the sound comforting! I used to be able to tell if a telly was switched on in a house (with the volume turned off) just by hearing the high pitched whine of the electrics!

If you remember VHS tapes, and tape cassettes for music, I was an expert in rewinding/fast forwarding them to exactly the right point I wanted just from the whine of the motors spinning to the resistance of the tape being wound... shame there's no job that that would come in useful(!!)

My PC has a whine to it unless I turn the power supply off by the switch even when the PC itself is off. It drives me nuts!:mad:

I am into sound though, so perhaps that my "sense" of choice. I can't smell for toffee, and I can't stand chemicals in perfumes and cleaning products, which I'm seriously adverse to!:S

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm bothered by sudden loud noises, by loud music of the clubs, by the feel of velvet, by the bursting of the balloons, to be touched by strangers and as a child I did not want to be touched by anyone. The daylight does not bother me (but I wear view glasses and maybe this help with reflections of sunlight) but I bother reflections on the glass, and it bothers me to look at something like a moving river, the screen of pc going up and down fast with the mouse, watch tv moving scenes especially the sea. I can not stand on windy days.

@ Buckyboy: Do you mean like down duvets (comforters) or touching the actual 'fluff'? If you mean the fluff, how are you with cotton balls & the cotton wadding in some pill bottles?

I deplore the texture of microfibre. Many women will know this texture more than you guys do because it became trendy to make bras out of this stuff. I can't stand the way it seems to stick to the fingers despite looking smooth. It just seems---WRONG! Like velvet when you rub it against the nap. BLECH!

Flashing lights give me full blown migraines. I don't like being hugged or touched. I don't like the sound of forks scraping on plates, dripping water or people eating. I have really good hearing and turn the tv volume low when watching. The texture of some foods makes me not like them.

I love hugging my family but I haaaaate touching strangers. Shaking hands, pat on the back, anything. I have two coworkers who have kissed me on the cheek from gratitude and it's all I can do not to stiffen up and sock 'em :p

Gomendosi said:
The TV will join in on all this by making noisy certain colours, like if there is and advertisement for something and the back ground is predominantly a primary colour or something neon the TV goes ooooooooohhh, but if the background is a muted colour it's like mmmmmmmmmmmm. If the background is all white the TV has the audacity to tell me to ssshhhhhhhhh

In tandem with the TV thing and colours making sounds, why is it that everybody I have ever known is apparently colour-blind? They all have the colour way up on the tellie so the colours seem sort of neon to me and all make noise, when I had a missus she used to let me have a preset colour selection all my own where everything was ordinary, skin was skin coloured and the colours didn't sing, then as I was going to go home she would put it back to her colours and regular pink people looked sunburnt or even orange... Grrr LOL

I can't tolerate sunlight. Aside from the fact that I'm 90% Irish with the skin color to prove it (i.e. I burn very easily) my eyes are very sensitive to it. I don't go outside unless I have to when it's sunny. I love it when it rains, but if it's snowy and sunny, forget about it. I'll stay inside for days.

I can't be in a store during busy hours. I'll wait until the middle of the night to go grocery shopping if I have to. People are just so inconsiderate of those around them and I want to throat-punch the people just standing around blocking the aisles.

I also can't do multipe things at once. For example, just the other day I was watching a very interesting documentary about the Donner party with my husband, and he asked me to read a few pages of a book he was into. I got a little irritated because I was missing the documentary and at the same time it was blaring in the background while I was reading. Then, as I was reading and trying to block out the noise, he started talking to me (he's a little ADD). I finally ended up putting the book down and telling him it was interesting, then hit rewind on the whole program. I don't even know what he was saying to me. Drives me nuts, lol.

I can't stand sticking to anything- car seats, couches, chairs, so any kind of leather or plastic material irritates me insofaras furniture is concerned. I don't like the way water feels on me AFTER I get out of the bath. I can't stand the feeling of turtlenecks or eyeglasses (they touch my cheeks). I don't like the feeling of tags (most of my clothes now have the printed kind which are much better). I don't like the feeling of stepping on something squishy, sticky, or wet so no mud puddles to me, and I have to have messes in the house cleaned up fairly immediately. A small hard substance on my clothes feels like nails. The tiny little ... what's the word.. attachment pieces on a feather (the quill I guess? but small ones) in my feather pillow feels like nails to me also. Gently rubbing my skin in the same spot for longer than 5 minutes is incredibly irritating to me (prior to that it's like a drug!) My husband doesn't even have to touch me to tickle me. I will feel ticklish if he just acts like he's going to tickle me oddly enough. (Usually this is only after my skin has become highly sensitized). The upside of this is that the lightest touch is very euphoria inducing so long as it's not repeated ecessively. Some downsides though are that nursing my 6 month old can be painful (not during, mostly it's irritating during) but afterwards.

I also don't like artificial light. It gives me headaches. I prefer sunlight whenever possible, but not super bright sunlight. I prefer indirect sunlight.

As far as sounds, if I am sleeping, I am a very light sleeper and the slightest sound will make me jerk awake and my heart will race as though someone had taken a balloon and popped it right over my face or something.

I can't tolerate sunlight. Aside from the fact that I'm 90% Irish with the skin color to prove it (i.e. I burn very easily) my eyes are very sensitive to it. I don't go outside unless I have to when it's sunny...I also can't do multipe things at once.

I am also of pasty Irish descent. And Dutch also. So sunlight bothers me a lot! I read somewhere that people with blue eyes cannot tolerate sunlight well. And then my husband buys a sailboat! I burn and get motion sickness too. So he mostly goes out with other people.

Like you, I cannot multi-task. I can't stand when two people talk at once. No idea what any of them are saying. My husband would laugh at me because I can not listen to him and write a note at the same time. He thinks this ridiculous! I thought that was normal.

My husband and son are very light sensitive. My poor son, when he was two and three, would have tears pouring out of his eyes in bright sunlight. He wasn't crying though. Hats and sunglasses all the time just like his daddy.

A Tarragon- Hahaha! Yes, that would not be reccomended. "Here, let me squish you. I just want to see if you smell like an ant!"

I can't stand my hair being played with. When I was little, I used to get into huge fights with my mom and grandma because I hated having my hair fixed.

Also, being in crowds when there are several different conversations going on is the worst. It just seems so loud. I work in a gas station that gets really busy, so I'm always so anxious and mess things up because of the noise.

New Threads

Top Bottom