• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your sensory issues?

noises people make when they eat, drink, breathe, sleep, chew gum; loud sudden noises, neighborhood kids screaming in their backyard, loud music (not my own), any shrill or high pitched sound
smells: tires, most perfumes, BO, burnt food, gasoline, chlorine, vinegar
touch: don't like much of any kind, handshakes creep me out, hugs are just too personal
fabric: scratchy, slippery, too tight, too loose, tags in clothes, lint balls in my socks
spacial: crowds, people standing to close or walking behind me too close or too fast, small spaces, feeling trapped
visual: bright lights (especially ones that flicker or oncoming cars with their brights on)

smells: tires, most perfumes, BO, burnt food, gasoline, chlorine, vinegar
tou

I'm sensitive to the smell of tires in a completely opposite way. I work in the warehouse of a racing tire distributor, so I'm around tires all day. People think I'm crazy, but I can pick out different aromas of tires. Some smell like brownies, others like cat pee, and some even like cucumber salad!

I'm sensitive to the smell of tires in a completely opposite way. I work in the warehouse of a racing tire distributor, so I'm around tires all day. People think I'm crazy, but I can pick out different aromas of tires. Some smell like brownies, others like cat pee, and some even like cucumber salad!

Cucumber salad?? LOL! I'm actually allergic to rubber.........I worked at this one company that was having their roof tarred and I broke out in a rash from head to toe!

Cucumber salad?? LOL! I'm actually allergic to rubber.........I worked at this one company that was having their roof tarred and I broke out in a rash from head to toe!

Yeah, that one's pretty bizarre I admit, but that's what it smells like to me!

seems a LOT of people here have problems with sunlight. I am the same, if I leave a shop with electrical lights and venture into sunlight, even not very much of it, I end up repeatedly sneezing. Then if I go into another shop, I come out sneezing yet again. The sun seems to tickle my nose somehow. I also hate using buses in bright sunlight, because you can't really keep your eyes open and if you keep blinking trying to keep them open people stare at you making the problem worse. It's for this reason I take sunglasses with me often, even if it looks like rain, because then if I have the problem I can just hide under the glasses and even if people stare at me they can't see my eyes so it's a double plus :D other than that, there's touching polystyrene, makes me shiver and my fingers feel weird

seems a LOT of people here have problems with sunlight. I am the same, if I leave a shop with electrical lights and venture into sunlight, even not very much of it, I end up repeatedly sneezing. Then if I go into another shop, I come out sneezing yet again. The sun seems to tickle my nose somehow. I also hate using buses in bright sunlight, because you can't really keep your eyes open and if you keep blinking trying to keep them open people stare at you making the problem worse. It's for this reason I take sunglasses with me often, even if it looks like rain, because then if I have the problem I can just hide under the glasses and even if people stare at me they can't see my eyes so it's a double plus :D other than that, there's touching polystyrene, makes me shiver and my fingers feel weird

Sunglasses are my best friend! I was so happy when big shades came into fashion because then I didn't look like an idiot in my aviators.

I hate light too, specially fluorescent lamps, and spend most of my time in my room in darkness.

Aspergers sensory issues

Okay I'm totally curious
Who all here has sensory issues? what are they? And how do you cope with them?
I have really bad sensory issues with bright lights so my mom keeps all the main lights off around the house for me and whatever and in my room I only use Christmas lights (I have a strange obsession with Christmas lights I have every kinda Christmas light you can think of) they give me the right about of bright but comfortable lighting in my room so I always decorate with them and I keep a big board over my window so no light comes in :)
My second sensory issue is... I don't like the feeling of soft toilet paper infact nothing soft I will not touch (mostly just microfiber) at all like no way if I just HAVE TO then I will lick my hands or something Ahha! With the toilet paper issue I just use cheap toilet paper that you would find at a school because it doesn't bother me :)
Okay so I wanna hear what other people's are because I'm curious I've never had any exposure to other people like me until I just joined this site :)

Re: Aspergers sensory issues

Okay I'm totally curious
Who all here has sensory issues? what are they? And how do you cope with them?
I have really bad sensory issues with bright lights so my mom keeps all the main lights off around the house for me and whatever and in my room I only use Christmas lights (I have a strange obsession with Christmas lights I have every kinda Christmas light you can think of) they give me the right about of bright but comfortable lighting in my room so I always decorate with them and I keep a big board over my window so no light comes in :)
My second sensory issue is... I don't like the feeling of soft toilet paper infact nothing soft I will not touch (mostly just microfiber) at all like no way if I just HAVE TO then I will lick my hands or something Ahha! With the toilet paper issue I just use cheap toilet paper that you would find at a school because it doesn't bother me :)
Okay so I wanna hear what other people's are because I'm curious I've never had any exposure to other people like me until I just joined this site :)

The christmas lights thing is an interesting idea. but boyfriend who I live with, has SAD so he has these daylight bulbs in a few of the lamps, and they are way too bright for me, I always feel likes its shining right in my eyes, but without them he seems to get depressed. The difficulty with soft things is interesting, I guess it never would have occured to me that someone wouldn't like to touch something soft. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think it is interesting. I have noticed I have a hard time with some fabrics that are soft when you run your hand along it one way but not when you run your hand he other way, that feels so uncomfortable for me and actually makes me feel really yucky inside. I tried to explain this to my boyfriend, but he was just like that is the way fabric is, but not all fabrics are.

Those light bulbs sound super uncomfortable :O yeah the soft things is really strange to me also ever since I was little I've always had a huge issue with it :O it makes it really hard for me to use blankets and also tissues :O

The christmas lights thing is an interesting idea. but boyfriend who I live with, has SAD so he has these daylight bulbs in a few of the lamps, and they are way too bright for me, I always feel likes its shining right in my eyes, but without them he seems to get depressed. The difficulty with soft things is interesting, I guess it never would have occured to me that someone wouldn't like to touch something soft. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think it is interesting. I have noticed I have a hard time with some fabrics that are soft when you run your hand along it one way but not when you run your hand he other way, that feels so uncomfortable for me and actually makes me feel really yucky inside. I tried to explain this to my boyfriend, but he was just like that is the way fabric is, but not all fabrics are.

I can't deal with bright lights either, though I'm still thinking about buying daylight bulbs... for painting. A lot of people told me it helps a lot more since it doesn't make colors look weird and "off". Curious to see how that's going to work with my overly sensitive eyes.

Maybe if it's less "out in the open" and more focussed it's way better. But yeah, that's a single use and not for indoor lighting

Totally off topic and everything (it's the ADD) you paint??? :O what kind of art do you make?

Totally off topic and everything (it's the ADD) you paint??? :O what kind of art do you make?

I mostly paint miniature figures for tabletop games. But I've got a petproject going on with digital art, photomanipulations and sometimes props as well (which need to be painted and all as well).

Some is in my gallery on my profile here... and there's a link in my signature to my deviantart page.

That sounds really interesting ill look at it :) a few of my stuff is on my profile but I haven't really been able to produce anything amazing in awhile :O
I just realized I could have just replied with a quote whoops -.-

Last edited:

I can be hypersensitive to some pain and hyposensitive to other, not sure how that works there...
My biggest sensory issue is noise. Too loud, too close, too sudden - can't.
I've always had issues with bright lights and strong smells or tastes, even clothing tags brushing against me. But none is as bad as the sound. I'd say next is smell and taste, then touch just a touch behind it, finally the brightness.

Ohhh,I'm sensitive to pretty much any annoying,repetitive type noise. Usually quiet ones,such as when my brother sniffs and coughs due to sinus issues when we stay in hotels as a family and i am trying to sleep. or,when someone pops their bubble gum,the sound makes me very angry,and im not sure why. pretty much stuff like that. And I have extra sensitive hearing,so I cant listen to as loud of music as most can.
light,im not overly sensitive to,although certain shades of light can cause me to feel off.
Taste,im not really sensitive to either....touch either...so im pretty sure its mostly just sound.

Sudden loud noise really gets to me. For example the most common instances are, knocks on my door that could be equated to a gunshot in close proximity. I'm speaking of the door to my room and my parents or sister knocking, not the front door to our house, so it's not the social anxiety aspect of it. Though that is just the same. Thankfully though, I live in a rural area and knocks on the front door are extremely rare, and even rarer still that I hear them since my room is in the back of our very sound resistant house.

Heat and cold really get to me as well. This one is quite aggravating since I live in Kentucky. For those that do not know the climate of Kentucky, the summers can be described as jungle-like, VERY hot and humid, and I have to say this gets to me more than cold. The winters, though usually not very harsh relative to more northerly climes, can still produce bouts of well below freezing weather. Though you can always bundle up for cold weather, you can't bundle down for hot and humid.

Touch, I really dislike touch. Very rarely I hug even family and will instinctively bat away or jerk away from any touch light or firm. This really troubles me emotionally as even my own mother gets this treatment. I do not know why. Heat and cold, it's arguable that nobody likes those extremes, and sudden loud noises will make nearly anyone jump if they are zoned out, but hugging my own mother? This is troubling. It isn't anything from my past either as I have never had any history of being inappropriately touched or anything. I don't understand it!

Last edited:
I'm sensitive to all kinds of sensory stuff, but some are ofc a little worse then others like bright lights, fluorescent lights, high pitch sounds, sound of many household machines and light touch. But as I wrote, I have issues with some stuff in every sensory group, so my sensory issues are my biggest problem I think.

Touch, I really dislike touch. Very rarely I hug even family and will instinctively bat away or jerk away from any touch light or firm. This really troubles me emotionally as even my own mother gets this treatment. I do not know why. Heat and cold, it's arguable that nobody likes those extremes, and sudden loud noises will make nearly anyone jump if they are zoned out, but hugging my own mother? This is troubling. It isn't anything from my past either as I have never had any history of being inappropriately touched or anything. I don't understand it!

I suddenly get stiff as a board when someone hugs me(even if I try to act warm and loving, it happens somewhat). I really think this is a sort of reflex, kind of a response to perceived "danger".

I can't stand it when there is constant chattering when I'm in a classroom - that is soooooooooooooooo annoying! Similarly, my head feels overloaded when there is a heated argument within a large group.

New Threads

Top Bottom