• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Biggest Burdens and Gifts of Having Asperger's Syndrome?

Best: Creative, a good writer, good analytical skills, well spoken and the ability to focus for a long time ( if said topic interests me)

Worst: A feeling of not really being a part of the world around me. Anxiety ( OCD, social anxiety), sensory issues (light sensitivity)

THE GOOD

I have a great memory for things of real interest to me. I go to an adult education class specializing in people on the spectrum, and at the end of each school year they have a talent show. The first time, I recited Jabberwocky. The second time, I recited the Prince's monologue from Romeo and Juliet. Next time, I plan on reciting some of the prologue to the Canterbury Tales.

If I'm really interested in something, I have an unusually vast knowledge of anything related to it.

THE BAD

I have a habit of wanting to talk about anything that comes to mind, and getting upset when no one is able or desiring to listen. Sometimes I even realize how stupid the topic sounds.

Trouble changing routine. It is hard for me sometimes to even change something in my morning routine when I'm brushing my teeth.

Judgement issues. I often get upset when we plan on taking an outing, only to not go and regret it later. I also have trouble making decisions. I basically don't know how to react sometimes.

Last edited:
Good: My long term memory and imagination. Being able to focus and memorize massive amounts of stuff about the things I love, like sewing, video games, history, and music. Also being able to read books very quickly. Having a different perspective on everything than other people.

Bad: Never being able to tell if someone is joking or not. My long term memory is both a blessing and a curse, I've memorized some of my favorite songs and a movie, but I can never forget anything bad I've done (socially) or anything mean someone has ever said to me.

Sensory issues are very tough to deal with. The slightest little noise or light is enough to keep me wake at night, making sleep next to impossible here at college.

My short term memory isn't the greatest, it takes me months to remember names of people.

The toughest thing for me is always managing to say the wrong thing. Even if I apologize instantly afterwards, I can never forget it. This always makes me feel like I'm a misfit in a group of misfits.

Good: My long term memory and imagination. Being able to focus and memorize massive amounts of stuff about the things I love, like sewing, video games, history, and music. Also being able to read books very quickly. Having a different perspective on everything than other people.

Bad: Never being able to tell if someone is joking or not. My long term memory is both a blessing and a curse, I've memorized some of my favorite songs and a movie, but I can never forget anything bad I've done (socially) or anything mean someone has ever said to me.

Sensory issues are very tough to deal with. The slightest little noise or light is enough to keep me wake at night, making sleep next to impossible here at college.

My short term memory isn't the greatest, it takes me months to remember names of people.

The toughest thing for me is always managing to say the wrong thing. Even if I apologize instantly afterwards, I can never forget it. This always makes me feel like I'm a misfit in a group of misfits.

I remember moments in my life where I did something wrong, in great detail. There was this one time where we were at a classic car racing event. I was talking to someone in a garage when he warned me of a car coming by. I thought the car was coming into the garage, so I tried to get out, only to nearly be hit by the car. Fortunately, the car was a Can Am prototype (roughly based on 1970s FIA group 5 prototypes) and was driving at no more than 5mph (8kph), so the worst that could've happened was for me to fall onto it with no injuries. I managed to hop past it without getting hurt. I regret that moment, but am frustrated that I remember it in such detail.

Interesting: learning for me is a simple task, specially languages.

Worrying: I am not able to live a normal life and I feel the pressure that the time has come to relieve my parents from the load I represent to them.

Burdens: slow at everything, clumsy, lack of ability to make friends, monotone voice, not funny to other people

Gifts: extreme creativity, know a lot about special interest, hypersensitive, good with animals, and last but not least, intentionally being able to make people feel awkward without myself feeling awkward.

Burden : knowing I passed it on to my children and that they are not brave enough to make the leap into the unknown that I did

Gift : living the life I have had with all the adventure and wonder it entailed, it is why I would never accept a cure.

The burden parts are the difficulties and resultant lifelong problems with talking, listening and sensory issues.
The gifts are enjoying being focused in on a subject &/or activity, and my quiet world of my own.

The worst part is this nagging feeling of emotional emptiness. I just want to really FEEL and CONNECT, understand and be understood.

Most difficult: My inability to take hints or read no verbal cues well.

Best: Talent, creativity, ability to self learn rapidly, empathic ability, ear for music, naturally good cook, I never feel lonely, even if am alone for months on end and don't speak to another human being, I can easily entertain myself with nothing but my own mind to do so. I'm content by myself and, do not feel the need to rely on anyone except myself for anything.

Hello My name is Aleksander, also known as AspieDenmark. I would like to start a thread to get abit better knowledge on what you feel is the hardest part of having Asperger's syndrome and what actually benefits you of having Asperger's Syndrome.

My personal worst experience with having asperger's syndrome:

Waking up in the morning, getting threated like crap and my whole day is ruined.

My personal gift of Asperger's syndrome:

Being able to self learn things very quickly.
The worst things I would say are loneliness, isolation and depression. The best, hmmm can't think of anything off the top of my head. I guess things could be worse though!

My burden, not being understand for the way I am, my gift, focus & the ability to master what I am interested in. Aleksandr, I an legally blind, wit nystagmus as well. Aside from Asperger's, I also have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome & I'm a single-digit handicap golfer with along list of championships. FAS sucks, the eye problems suck, too! But I'm proud to be an Aspie! It gives me the focus and obsession to be a good golfer. Be proud of who you are, and your accomplishments. Use your Asperger's to your advantage, and become a master of any skill you choose!

My worst: feeling like my sole reason for existence is to be the world's toilet...
My best: being able to learn quickly...

Burden, being a social klutz, benefit, obsession and hyper focus that has made me good at golf, despite being legally blind with nystagmus.

Burdens has been the shunning and bullying prior to figuring out how to handle it in high school, where I found a group I fit into. Since today is one month of me knowing I'm as Aspie, I went through a hellish few years not knowing why I was so exhausted, snappish, and feeling like I was about to see my mind fall out and roll down the stairs :)

Benefits are ME. This is me: in all my passionate, understanding, looking-for-patterns glory. I never did want to be "like everyone else" and finding out I'm an Aspie has been mostly an occasion of joy.

Last edited:
Worst:

Being unable to have healthy interactions because consciously shaping my behaviour to be socially appropriate is tiring. Then comes the time when I'm distracted or tired and snap back to awkward and usually offend people deeply, leading to them leaving me or treating me badly for it.

I also can't play board games, nor anything sport-related because I can't keep up with the rules and usually get hit in the face by the ball.

Best:

I can do accents, learn languages and speak them with the precision of a native with enough study and time. That might be possible due to my non-stop mimicking of what people say.

Better than the best:

There is an infinite number of details composing everyday scenarios. Every time I walk through a well-known place, I see one of these details and it's a whole new sight. It feels like the first time I've ever been there.

The worst thing is not knowing I was autistic when I was younger, leading me to make career mistakes and wonder why I wasn't coping with things that everybody else took in their stride, and wondering why my relationships didn't last and I found myself still unmarried at 30 (definitely on the shelf in my day! It's different now of course).

The best thing; noticing things other people miss (which I thought was just me until I was reading up on autism); my good dress sense and eye for colour.

The worst thing is not knowing I was autistic when I was younger, leading me to make career mistakes and wonder why I wasn't coping with things that everybody else took in their stride...

So much this. Though I am glad I rolled with it at the time, because there were things I was interested in which would have made me crash and burn much sooner than I did.

The good: Quick learner when I am interested, good long-term memory, being able to link two seemingly unrelated things together, attention to details.

The bad: anxiety and depression problems, being rejected/bullied in high school, hypersensibilty to sounds, not knowing what to do in social situations.

New Threads

Top Bottom