• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Biggest Burdens and Gifts of Having Asperger's Syndrome?

although i am moderately classic autistic and not aspie, the worst issues for me are:
*communication-i may be verbal now but it doesnt stop me acutely struggling. *language difficulties,understanding words or sentances and people not understanding this issue because i technically have mental capacity-i have to use a dictionary/thesaurus on my phone or online when i struggle with it.
*challenging behavior. needing to be heavily medicated for it and my neurologist wanting me to wear my padded helmet,i dont mind but it is incredibly hot so i dont wear it at the moment.
*extreme sensory issues with all senses,especially sound and texture/touch.
*such extreme anxiety,i hate it and it ruins my life and makes my depression worse.
*having such a rigid thought process and rigid routine.
*very bad and rigid visual processing-i see lines and colours and these come together to make shapes-i have perfect vision technically its just i process things very slow and dont recognise some things.
these are my worst issues.

my best traits are:
*being the first one people ask about computer problems.
*having a great long term memory that goes back before age 5.
*being very tolerant and caring of people who are much more autistic or intellectually disabled than self.
*being able to find humour in absolutely anything and being told im very naturally good humoured.
*amazing with animals,i treat them better than i treat myself they are like gods to me,i know its because of my autism and how i relate to them, i dont relate to people.

Worst: Difficulty forming close friendships despite having a lot of aquaintances/casual friends- mainly because I suck at making small talk and initiating conversations unless we are discussing a specific topic of interest, and I tend to be pretty shy. I get offended/defensive easily, along with agitated over small things often, which sucks too.

Best: Highly intelligent, excellent memory and attention to detail, self taught myself to become a very skilled/competitive bowler without formal lessons, and same thing for my artistic(drawing) and musical(vocal) talent. Also, my ability to connect with pets, especially cats.

(only self-diagnosed with Aspergers at this point though)

Worst thing - feeling totally alone and unconnected to the world

Best thing - my imagination makes the best company anyhow

New Threads

Top Bottom