• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Well here goes.

Eman

Hi all,

This is my first post here on aspiescentral.com. I did lurk around a few aspergers websites but decided to just dive in and join one. I used to post on many forums regarding my interests and hobbies (which I will get to later!) but this is the first time that I am posting using my "real" (well, close) name rather than a complete pseudonym.

I am 29, male, and self diagnosed with aspergers but when I read the books by Kendall (I think thats his name? Cant be bothered to look it up at the moment) :pI found I had 95% of the symptoms.

I've been aware of being different since I was a kid. I was a loner until I was 17-18. I've never had a girlfriend (and don't really feel like dealing with it right now) and I also have trouble holding down a job or getting accepted for one as I'm terrible at interviews due to my social anxiety at being judged. However other than that I am fairly high functioning I think, as the long years of being bullied and stuff in elementary and junior high, but also admittedly some excellent teachers and TAs in elementary especially grades 5-7 to whom I will forever be grateful helped me adjust at least partially to "NT" communication styles.

I'm actually pretty decent at acting, especially in comedy. I applied similar skills from drama class (our drama teacher may well have had aspergers as well: he was definitely awkward and lanky but his acting skills were just terrific, and he had a bit of jitters teaching us kids, but I think we all liked him, and I do wish him well wherever you are, Mr. Wallace. :)) to "perform" the social game. It took work, I was still awkward and a little goofy, but I could laugh and talk with NTs about various subjects at least for a time.

I suppose I am relatively fortunate. My family has been mostly supportive, and my dad was probably AS himself as well. I am somewhat goofy with my friends, but very shy and almost cataconic in front of ppl with authority: I am a nervous wreck and will absolutely wilt under pressure. I hate conflict to the point where I was once a pushover basically, but admittedly the internet has helped, and I've been a "keyboard warrior" for years now, but I don't really want to flamewar or troll anymore (yes I admit I did troll youtube vids I didn't like back in the day, but I'm trying to move on. I think all those years of being pushed around pushed me to a point where I lashed out at anything I didn't like on the interent) , thats in the past now I hope! :D

As for my interests? Well, I'm Canadian, so hockey's a big one. So big, in fact, I am convinced hockey along with video game fandom single-handedly ended my friendless status in grade 12, my final year of high school. How much was I into hockey? I would go to games and basically mouth off stats and strategies to random strangers in the stadium. Being an aspie I didn't realize that they might be bored by my incessant analysis of hockey even though they were at the game. Using my studly aspie logic, I thought "you came to the hockey game: Good! Let me educate you on the pros and cons of playing an umbrella PP strategy over an overload strategy!" :wavespin: (I won't get into the details of them here! It will take up at least another page's worth of text!) I didn't understand what sarcasm was. In uni I actively enjoyed taking opposite opinions of my classmates. (For instance, I was trollingly pro-Bush and pro-Republican in a very liberal part of Canada, LOL!) I said "didh't you guys talk about overpopulation and scarce resources? War will take care of that!" And shocked everyone. But I loved it. :cool: That was my way of getting back at NTs, of sorts. (PS. Im not actually all that rightwing, I did it more to rile ppl up than anything TBH)

Hmmm.... well I also like strategy wargames and military stuff in general, WW2 history, Ancient Roman history, Chinese and Japanese history, etc, etc a war buff basically.

Wow I've rambled on long enough! Hope to talk to you all soon!

Sincerely,

Eman

Wow, long intro.

Welcome! I'm new here myself and I think we'll get along great since I also have interest in history, particularly Russian and Soviet history. Rome is quite fascinating as well. Cool to see another person in Canada as well.

Hello and welcome! It's always great to see a new face around here. And I'm also into military history of all kinds, so I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about.

Thx for your replies guys! I do tend to ramble online: On my facebook account I'm known to post 500 word analyses of other people's lunch pictures.

Anyway, I look forward to posting here and hopefully (finally) meet and talk with others like myself!

What part of Canada are you from? Anyway besides history I'm always up for talking hockey or the NHL. :p

I remember as a kid I had table top hockey and I used to "play" it by making sounds and gliding the players over the "ice" and play out whole games in my head, with penalties, PA announcements, crowd noises and everything!

I can see your avatar is quite Russian :p. Well my favorite tank is the T-34/76 which IMO saved Russia and the USSR in 1941-1942

What part of Canada are you from? Anyway besides history I'm always up for talking hockey or the NHL. :p

I remember as a kid I had table top hockey and I used to "play" it by making sounds and gliding the players over the "ice" and play out whole games in my head, with penalties, PA announcements, crowd noises and everything!

I can see your avatar is quite Russian :p. Well my favorite tank is the T-34/76 which IMO saved Russia and the USSR in 1941-1942

I'm in BC. Btw, which team do you support? I think mine is obvious, considering my location ;D.

Yes it is, Ivan the Terrible.

Wow small world, jannah. I'm from BC too, Vancouver. I live in Hong Kong now but yeah I was raised in Van. Canucks? I've been a Canucks fan since I was 8. (Aspie that I am, do not ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER say I am a Canucks bandwagoner LOL). I used to go to GM Place and before that the Pacific coliseum and try to "educate" the fans around me "don't yell shoot when the lane is blocked, you idiots! Even Doug Lidster/Jeff Brown/Jyrki Lumme/Ed Jovanovski/Sami Salo can't thread it through there!"

I would also "engage" fans in conversation about whether we should play an umbrella formation on the PP or an overload, and whether Momesso/Linden/Bertuzzi/Kesler should stand in front of the net, or should we switch Bure/Naslund/D. Sedin to the side boards or behind the net, Luongo or Schneider, etc etc... yeah my hockey fixation was definitely influenced by aspergers LOL!

New Threads

Top Bottom