• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird films and T.V. Shows

BBC productions are great, just like some of the best science experiments were done on low budgets. I never listen to the haters, they are not part of our tribe. my only complaint the Brits like cheap sound equipment even now I quess I trained my ears over the years.

Last edited:
Yes, all except Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Don't remember that one.
I stream Dark Shadows on Prime now.

Time Tunnel. An oldie I remember.

More modern, Dr. Who is strange and interesting.
I remember "Time Tunnel" too. Do you remember "Mr. Ed?"

Young child, Dr. Who dates back to 1963.

Early Who is not so modern. The "classic" Dr. Who ended with Tom Baker.

Then in the 80s there was a kind of a "middle ages" of Doctor Who until the show finally died in 1990.

Then it entered what is known as the "Wilderness Years: with games, comics, toys, and books and such but no television. But like any good Time Lord, the show regenerated. There was a bad movie in 2003 and then the modern series began in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose. Next year the show will be 60 years old.

I truly lusted after Billie Piper. Life was complete when I got to see a whole lot more of her in Penny Dreadful.

The anime of The Powerpuff Girls, Powerpuff Girls Z, is really bizarre even for the genre. So many odd choices were made including turning HIM into the weird clown jester thing, turning Snake into a teenaged girl named Ivy, making one of the Amoeba Boys a female named Violet and the group were still called The Amoeba Boys, Princess Morebucks turned into a super villain if her cat screamed, this make up seller became Seduca if she put on lipstick, and the most disturbing thing of all is they turned Fuzzy Lumpkins into a full blown perv with the very open desire of grabbing Miss Bellum In very inappropriate ways and the Japanese version doesn’t even try to hide it either! There’s this one episode where he tries to get her to love him so he can touch the woman and the Girls are actually encouraging Fuzzy. And this was meant for kids too!
LOL! That's Japan for you. They don't view things the same as us Americans. Shows directed at kids may be full of inappropriate stuff. In the not too distant past, it would get censored before an American distributor would touch it. Sailor Moon was heavily censored. Even today Crunchyroll and Funimation edit their anime down to be the equivalent of Facebook safe.

After mentioning the series Pushing Daisies yesterday I had an itch to start watching it again today and now had to come back and praise it again. It's an absolutely fantastic fantasy of strangeness and fun. If you like fantasy and black comedy I would suggest going to IMDB and watch the trailer. I would paste a link, but I'm new here and not sure if that's against the rules.

Ever hear of the Tentacolino tv show? It is a cartoon that is a sequel tv series to the events of the animated sequel to an animated movie about the Titanic. It’s even more bizarre and insulting because in the Titanic movie the main female character gets the ability to talk to animals because her tears were hit by magical moonlight, there’s a rapping dog, an anti-whaling plot, and literally no one dies! And then the sequel movie Tentacolino has the two main characters of the first movie and their dog and two mice friends search for the remains of the Titanic and end up in Atlantis which is occupied by racist mice, sentient toys, merpeople, this otter/stingray hybrid, and a gay lisping fish with a spring literally shoved into his body who likes to play dress up and there’s this battle with talking sharks and at the end the main characters get the Titanic reassembled and a Secret private island as a reward for their help. And that is just the very tip of the iceberg of this madness. The animated tv series is called Fantasy Island and the events are even more insane somehow as the couple has two kids who go from babies to preteens in a matter of weeks and there’s this pirate ghost and his friend who is this cloud girl and they act like antagonists until the birth of the son and then they’re suddenly good. Look up Bobsheaux on YouTube and search his channel for Titanic to get the full story. Believe me when I say that this is guaranteed to be the most insane thing you’ll ever see.

Got hold of a copy of Luis Bunuel's "The milky Way" plan to invite my son and a couple of friends so we can watch together.

I’ve mentioned this film on other threads recently, but I’ll mention it again: Rhinoceros Eyes. Weird as hell. The protagonist is autistic. Reminds me of Donnie Darko in many ways.

Watching a film called Proof, really a film about us Aspies. you have to be an Aspie to sort of follow this movie. references pop into my head as I watch, amazing I understand the references in the film along with where the script writer got them from. Weird film, for sure.

When I was very little, there was a channel that showed a lot of foreign films, which my parents would record onto VHS since they were often shown very late at night. One that I remember very vividly is "Alice" by Jan Svankmejer - As if Alice in Wonderland wasn't surreal enough, this adaptation really leans into the weirdness of that story by emphasising the sensory experience of Alice as she explores Wonderland - the images and sounds and atmosphere of the whole film is visceral and dirty and dilapidated. Plus hearing the Queen of Hearts scream "Off with her head!" in Czech was pretty terrifying for me as a five year-old.

Another unusual but not unpleasant show, and also an adaptation of one of my favourite books, is the BBC TV version of "The Enchanted Castle" by E Nesbit. The special effects and child acting are hilarious, but the story is still expressed pretty engagingly and it's doubly nostalgic for being set in 1906 Edwardian England and being made in 1980.

I can't remember if I ever mentioned the "Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies" movie on here. It was weird and terrible.
They even said all of the characters were fictional and should bear no resemblance to actual people, even though they were all blatantly based on (and had the names of) actual historical figures. LOL

Amazon women on the moon, also agree with Terry Gilliam movies, esp. Baron Munchausen

The Donut Repair Club aka The Donut Man is messed up both because of how random things get during episodes but also how it delivers the episode’s messages while involving Christianity. I saw a video about the Easter episode of this show and I feel rather insulted by how they addressed the topic of death. I can look past the flaws of trying to shove religion in my face at all times but they treated a widow’s husband death as if it wasn’t on the same level of Jesus’ death and they literally prayed for her to “feel better and know that she will get to see him in Heaven someday.” I mean the gesture was nice but praying for someone who is mourning the loss of a loved one isn’t going to make them feel better. The Donut Man even tells the kids that “Mr Johnson (the deceased man) was sick for a long time and thought it’d be best to take him up to Heaven” which is a really damaging message to tell kids because then you make any little kids panic if someone they love has been sick for more than a week and that God might take them up to Heaven too because He thinks it’s for the best. And then the kids talk all about Jesus dying made them feel sad right in front of the grieving widow who was there to help with some Easter pageant they were preparing because her husband used to do it every year and she wanted to honor him that way and she leaves the room in silence. The way she feels better is one of the kids tells her all about Jesus dying for everyone’s sins and she is suddenly comforted which disturbs me because her husband’s death has absolutely nothing to do with the Gospel or even religion itself! This episode could have said that sometimes when a person has been sick, they are suffering and God decides that they deserve to be pain free and that not everyone who has been sick for a long time dies and they learn to adapt with living with a chronic illness or even get better over time.

For context as to why I felt insulted with how this show dealt with the difficult subject of death, my mom died two days before Mother’s Day and four days before I was going to fly out to spend two weeks with her. I had to say goodbye to her over the phone. I was going to a local church at the time and they often did activities with other members and so I went over to the pastor’s house because I didn’t want to be alone in my apartment and then fall into a depressed state because I didn’t think my mom would want that and I didn’t want that. I just needed to be around other people that weekend. The pastor did say a prayer for me and my mom for some comfort and that was the end of that and from there no one in his house was trying to tell me about how Jesus dying made them feel sad or that it was good that my mom wasn’t suffering anymore and that God thought it was best to take her away. I just wanted to remember her as being healthy and enjoying life not sick from the chemo. I wanted to remember the two of us doing things together. I didn’t want to talk about how sick the cancer treatments had made her. And I certainly didn’t want religion forced fed to me during that difficult time because my mom was a non practicing Buddhist and also because religion had absolutely nothing to do with me mourning the loss of my mom.

New Threads

Top Bottom