• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird films and T.V. Shows

I watched a french series: "The woman from the sea"
It was somewhere between drama, mystery and environmental desaster.
A girl who had been found naked in a cave near the ocean and raised by a fishermen and his wife.
A commissioner who dedicates his life to solve a mysterious crime. A female serial killer who kills men after having sex with them. The woman seeks out the girl...

...finds her on an island in the Mediterranean Sea...

... and it turns out, both the girl and the woman are related. They are the last of the sirens.

In this fictional universe sirens are a species of parasites. They procreate with human males (at least that's my conclusion) and their victim dies from anaphylactic shock. They can breathe below water but also air (prolonged stay on land causes damage, the girl developed asthma as a result of growing up on land). The woman has mind-reading abilities. She can also cause electronical devices to fail. She doesn't have a pulse. Their eyes reflect light in darkness just like cat eyes. They can actually survive grave injuries, water heals their injuries in seconds.

There aren't many things that could kill them. The villagers uncovered their secret in the end.
As a result, both the girl and the woman died a violent death. The local mob killed the serial killer siren by setting her on fire. The girl was killed by a shot through her heart.
This wasn't very satisfying to watch for me because I enjoy happy ends.
It started out as a crime series until mysterious elements that can not be rationalised came to the fore.
I constantly pondered with myself whether I should continue to watch it or not. It was pretty boring in the beginning. But I wanted to solve the riddle- I have to admit I skipped one episode. This movie series was a tedious affair, but in a very beautiful setting on a french island. Lots of underwater scenes too, showing the pollution and destruction of human society. A few great philosophical lines, too.
All in all, I'd give it 6 stars out of 10.

The Empty Man is a recent release that really makes me question how anyone convinced any executives to get this made.

I couldn't say whether anyone would like it but it is a highly, highly unusual movie in both theme and structure.

Also, the first 20 minutes are like a mini movie that has little to do with the overall movie in case at the start it seems like its obvious what sort of movie this is going to be.

I love weird and over the top horror movies, but forum rules prevent me from posting videos of my favorite scenes here. I love practical gore special effects and Tom Savini is a legend. The more ridiculous it gets, the more I tend to enjoy it. I really do not care for realistic violence in movies.

I think you would like the cube series of movies. suspenseful and the why really keeps you on the edge of your seat. A bit of math for the math types. puzzles get it right or somebody dies in a novel way. Canadian production we are a bit different up here. keeps you quessing what is the cube. A real W5 mystery.
My son found it got us watching it.

Last edited:
I had not heard of the movie The Producers, but one day was flipping through channels and came across the musical number in it; Springtime for Hitler and Germany. My jaw dropped until I realized what was going on.

I have always had an interest in unusual films, most notably if they have an underlying mystery. I never knew why. my youngest son is now hooked to these caught from me.
I guess they are made by the Artsy Autistics among our tribe.

I went to a party once I kept everybody entranced by rhyming off film and TV show titles. The young people were taking notes, who says they do not like autistics.

Who else is into this stuff list examples;

TV shows such as was one called 'Lexx', a Canadian German production. Blew me out of the water when I first watched it the original Avenger series from Britain and films such a 'CUBE". I loved the Prisoner series when I was in College.
My son will probably really like to hear of stuff he has not seen yet.
The Avengers was an incredible show! Honor Blackman, Diana Rigg, or Tara King?

So was the Prisoner. Did you ever see "Secret Agent," (aka Danger Man)which was where the character came from?

Last edited:
The Cube and one underwater called The Sphere.

The Prisoner series, Avengers, Quantum Leap, Dark Shadows, The Munsters.
All old, wierd and wonderful.

The Cube and one underwater called The Sphere.

The Prisoner series, Avengers, Quantum Leap, Dark Shadows, The Munsters.
All old, wierd and wonderful.
I loved Dark Shadows but it was on early enough in the afternoon I only go to see it during summer break. I enjoyed all those shows you mentioned. Do you remember The Man from U.N.C.L.E.? How about The Addams Family? Original Lost in Space? Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? Have Gun Will Travel?

I think everyone loved Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.

I loved Dark Shadows but it was on early enough in the afternoon I only go to see it during summer break. I enjoyed all those shows you mentioned. Do you remember The Man from U.N.C.L.E.? How about The Addams Family? Original Lost in Space? Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? Have Gun Will Travel?

I think everyone loved Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.

Yes, all except Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Don't remember that one.
I stream Dark Shadows on Prime now.

Time Tunnel. An oldie I remember.

More modern, Dr. Who is strange and interesting.

I like the brits attitude to us Aspies they like us and revel in our strangness.

Fresh Meat - there's a character called Howard.
IT Crowd - Moss

Both of those characters are clearly on the spectrum and instant classics in those UK Comedy TV shows.

Ed

I grew up on television from the early fifties and so TV and Movies are a particular Aspie obsession, so fair warning.

I am particularly attuned to the weird and strange and I am constsntly on the lookout for new experiences.

Almost anything written, directed or produced by David Lynch (both Twin Peaks series [especially the second in 2016] for TV, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, Lost highway, etc)

Films in no particular order:

The Fall
Predestination (fairly faithful adaptation of the Heinlein short story "All You Zombies")
The City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
Amélie
Micmacs
Dark City
Mirrormask
Swiss Army Man
Naked Lunch
eXistenZ
Okja

I could go on for pages more but I will instead mention a few TV shows I have liked:

American Gods
Good Omens
Twin Peaks (the original and the follow on in 2017)
Stranger Things
Sense8
First Season of Altered Carbon (not so much the second)
Locke & Key
Glitch (very strange Australian TV series)
Jean Claude Van Johnson (as weird and funny as the title might suggest)

Again enough to give a sense of things. I believe one has to be willing to watch anything, even stuff you might not really have any interest in. It seems to me to be a minimum requirement to have valid opinions about any media. Without perspective it can not be a true review just opinion.

I enjoyed every one of the titles I have listed for many reasons and all titles are just off the top of my head. If I spent more time, I could probably come up with many more of each type, but I am trying to keep my enthusiasm from getting away from me.;)

Excellent film.

A couple of other surreal French films, these are from the 70's and by Luis Buñuel

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois
220px-Discreet-charm-poster.jpg

That Obscure Object of Desire
Obscureobjectdesireposter.jpg

Ed

I grew up on television from the early fifties and so TV and Movies are a particular Aspie obsession, so fair warning.

I am particularly attuned to the weird and strange and I am constsntly on the lookout for new experiences.

Almost anything written, directed or produced by David Lynch (both Twin Peaks series [especially the second in 2016] for TV, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, Lost highway, etc)

Films in no particular order:

The Fall
Predestination (fairly faithful adaptation of the Heinlein short story "All You Zombies")
The City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
Amélie
Micmacs
Dark City
Mirrormask
Swiss Army Man
Naked Lunch
eXistenZ
Okja

I could go on for pages more but I will instead mention a few TV shows I have liked:

American Gods
Good Omens
Twin Peaks (the original and the follow on in 2017)
Stranger Things
Sense8
First Season of Altered Carbon (not so much the second)
Locke & Key
Glitch (very strange Australian TV series)
Jean Claude Van Johnson (as weird and funny as the title might suggest)

Again enough to give a sense of things. I believe one has to be willing to watch anything, even stuff you might not really have any interest in. It seems to me to be a minimum requirement to have valid opinions about any media. Without perspective it can not be a true review just opinion.

I enjoyed every one of the titles I have listed for many reasons and all titles are just off the top of my head. If I spent more time, I could probably come up with many more of each type, but I am trying to keep my enthusiasm from getting away from me.;)
Good list American Gods, I watched WhIle I was in the Hospital. lousy wi fi in the hospital.

Excellent film.

A couple of other surreal French films, these are from the 70's and by Luis Buñuel

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois
220px-Discreet-charm-poster.jpg

That Obscure Object of Desire
Obscureobjectdesireposter.jpg

Ed
He is the guy that made milky way. I would love to watch the other two.
Warning I theatre had emptied out when I watched it, very sureal sort of like looking at a Salvadore Dali painting.

"The Producers" is a real comedic masterpiece!

We got lucky up here in the seventies they started showing Brit TV shows much better productions then American TV. Which tended to be geared to the lowest common denominator, must admit the Brit's use crappy sound equipment, even now. I love their comedy, never watch American comedies, Must admit getting better in the last few years.

The anime of The Powerpuff Girls, Powerpuff Girls Z, is really bizarre even for the genre. So many odd choices were made including turning HIM into the weird clown jester thing, turning Snake into a teenaged girl named Ivy, making one of the Amoeba Boys a female named Violet and the group were still called The Amoeba Boys, Princess Morebucks turned into a super villain if her cat screamed, this make up seller became Seduca if she put on lipstick, and the most disturbing thing of all is they turned Fuzzy Lumpkins into a full blown perv with the very open desire of grabbing Miss Bellum In very inappropriate ways and the Japanese version doesn’t even try to hide it either! There’s this one episode where he tries to get her to love him so he can touch the woman and the Girls are actually encouraging Fuzzy. And this was meant for kids too!

Of TV series Pushing Daisies was absolutely fantastic, Counterpart which starred J.K. Simmons, The Rook, Carnivale from HBO was interesting, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) was a good late 60's UK show released in the US at that time as My Partner the Ghost. If you are forgiving of UK low budget 1970's production quality there is Sapphire & Steel with David McCallum and Joanna Lumley, which had great stories. It was sadly much lower budget than that era's Doctor Who, which says a lot. BBC's 1996 production of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere was excellent, no matter what haters say.

For movies that haven't been mentioned above, try The Man Who Fell to Earth, Donnie Darko, and pretty much anything and everything by Terry Gilliam.

New Threads

Top Bottom