• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weather Interest

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
So my aspie brother developed an obsessive interest in the weather when he was just a kid. As a young teen, he used to watch the weather channel 24/7, and even tracked hurricanes and storms during his spare time. Other people, especially the family, used to make fun of him for it. They would joke that anytime they needed a weather report, they could just call him. He wanted to become a meteorologist but was never great at school and eventually didn't make it. He was also obsessed with maps and geography. He memorized routes and basically was a human GPS.

I used to be a bit embarrassed for him because I didn't know anyone else his age with such an intense interest in the weather. Later on, I guess after high school, I started to become increasingly aware of the weather as well which has remained to this day. I constantly check the forecast several times a day and love storms and watching them unfold live or on TV. When it comes to small talk, it's usually the only topic I can come up with. I've also been keen on geography as well, and was probably my best subject in school.

A few years ago, when I started researching Asperger's and autism, the very first article I read mentioned the obsessive interest trait and listed obsessions in arbitrary things like weather and maps as examples. Thought this was a strange coincidence but made me wonder, is it a common interest among aspies?

Anyone else here weather obsessed?

One of the things I wanted to be when I grew up was a meteorologist. Obsessed with it for a while. Being a storm chaser would have been ok but that never happened either.

I am. Haven't really related my obsession with asd though. I really only got interested in weather when I learned to sail 10 years ago. My interest grew into obsession when we bought our blue water sail boat. Being able to predict future weather based on known weather patterns is very handy when you are off shore.

One of my favorite things to do is watch storms playout on earth.nullschool
earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

It is a graphical representation of global recorded weather data in real time. There are different predictive models you can choose from and even break down the data in layers like wave data, wind data, temperature etc. You can even watch the wind at various levels of the atmosphere.
And rotate the globe to see what is happening everywhere!

One of the things I wanted to be when I grew up was a meteorologist. Obsessed with it for a while. Being a storm chaser would have been ok but that never happened either.
Yes, storm chaser was (is) a top dream job.

I am. Haven't really related my obsession with asd though. I really only got interested in weather when I learned to sail 10 years ago. My interest grew into obsession when we bought our blue water sail boat. Being able to predict future weather based on known weather patterns is very handy when you are off shore.

One of my favorite things to do is watch storms playout on earth.nullschool
earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

It is a graphical representation of global recorded weather data in real time. There are different predictive models you can choose from and even break down the data in layers like wave data, wind data, temperature etc. You can even watch the wind at various levels of the atmosphere.
And rotate the globe to see what is happening everywhere!
Hm makes me think it could be linked to ASD then, due to our abilities or hypersensitivity to detect patterns, as you've mentioned. Good points.

Hm makes me think it could be linked to ASD then, due to our abilities or hypersensitivity to detect patterns, as you've mentioned. Good points.

You could be right about that! I have only suspected asd for a short time.

Weather goes hand in hand with aviation.
It is a huge part of your written test to gain your pilot's license.
Although I am now medically unfit to gain my ticket, weather still plays a huge role in my life.

For instance, your altimeter readings are based directly on barometric pressure.
All airports have a compass rose on the paddock that allows you to check your magnetic compass reading with the field elevation posted on a sign to calibrate the altimeter.
As a strict part of your preflight, you do a final look at the altimeter before you start your roll-out.
It is very important to know what the baro reading is where you are headed in order to not be caught off guard by an altimeter that goes out of calibration.
That's why being on top of your game with the weather is extremely important.

Last edited:
Meteorology departments were probably like a sheltered workshop for autistics, although I don't know if they are now, cos wevver seems to have been assimilated by the climate change borg.

Weather goes hand in hand with aviation.
It is a huge part of your written test to gain your pilot's license.
Although I am now medically unfit to gain my ticket, weather still plays a huge role in my life.

For instance, your altimeter readings are based directly on barometric pressure.
All airports have a compass rose on the paddock that allows you to check your magnetic compass reading with the field elevation posted on a sign to calibrate the altimeter.
As a strict part of your preflight, you do a final look at the altimeter before you start your roll-out.
It is very important to know what the baro reading is where you are headed in order to not be caught off guard by an altimeter that goes out of calibration.
That's why being on top of your game with the weather is extremely important.
It's funny you mention that, my brother ended up going into aviation management.

I started university as a meteorology major a long time ago. (But was sidetracked into Writing, commercial & then Studio Art, finally a stupid degree in Arts Management, then some external juggernauts of life came along, which are a different matter.) Anyways. Weather has always interested me. From what I was told, some of my first words concerned my sense of the temperature and scents in the air around me.

Wow, a lot of weatherheads here. It's interesting though how the weather was either a primary interest or something that spawned other interests and vice versa. I was more into astronomy but ended up in geology, which is also relates to weather and climate.

Why do you think that the weather is a common interest other than it being related to other personal interests? It seems very coincidental. Observable patterns which might appeal to an aspie mindset as I mentioned before?

I have some interest in weather, like when the forecast calls for rain during a major upcoming event that I want to attend the upcoming weekend :rolleyes:

I certainly have a strong interest in clouds, likely also related to photography and the visual side of things, and sometimes (often) get excited when there are great clouds around...

Like one recent classic car cruise night with rather interesting clouds, I spent the night photographing clouds using the foreground of the cars... I am also known for doing photography in rather inclement weather, like going for walks on ultra cold winter days, or snowy days... When most of my fellow photographers don't even leave the house... :)

Wild Wednesday 06.jpg

I love watching the weather I should have been a meteorologist only job you can be 100 percent wrong everyday and keep a job.

I love maps. I love looking at them. Give me a map any map. I would like a wall covered with different maps if I had the space.
Now that I live in a valley instead of the hills I am more interested in the weather rather than just if it affects what I want to get done on any given day. I can see farther and watch the clouds.

I like to look at the weather but I really dislike weather small talk. It's very common in the UK. Every office I've been to, people will talk about the weather.

Apparently the cold and the rain are bad - I disagree wholeheartedly.

It's not even cold, but yesterday my parents spent the whole of dinner complaining about how cold it was. I ate dinner fast and left asap.

Ed

I have some interest in weather, like when the forecast calls for rain during a major upcoming event that I want to attend the upcoming weekend :rolleyes:

I certainly have a strong interest in clouds, likely also related to photography and the visual side of things, and sometimes (often) get excited when there are great clouds around...

Like one recent classic car cruise night with rather interesting clouds, I spent the night photographing clouds using the foreground of the cars... I am also known for doing photography in rather inclement weather, like going for walks on ultra cold winter days, or snowy days... When most of my fellow photographers don't even leave the house... :)

View attachment 70273
I'm a cloud enthusiast too. I wish more people were. Some recent ones on my phone:
20210816_154938.jpg
20210714_103158.jpg

Also big on lightning. I can sit and watch for hours.
20210719_203743.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom