• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

« We grew up not knowing we were autistic »

I identify with the following statement, since where I live is the same. That’s why I’m in the aspie closet.

“I think St Lucia is now starting to realise there are autistic kids - and that being autistic is not a bad thing. It’s taken a long time - they’re kind of where we were here in the UK about 20 years ago”.

I also identify with this, since I’ve been a foreigner for the last 15 years. People assume I’m weird because I’m from
somewhere else.

“I went to high school in the US, and so some of the quirky traits that make me ‘me’, were not seen as being odd or bizarre.

They were seen as belonging to the Scottish girl - culturally attributed rather than individually attributed.”

I had this as a link as well but you beat me to it.

Theres a tv program on at 10pm wednesday about autism in the uk too.
No doubt someone will confirm.

Hey, look what I found today in BBC news today...
« Some women with autism aren't diagnosed until adulthood - if ever. Here, a group of autistic women open up about their experiences”.
We grew up not knowing we were autistic

Nice find thanks for sharing it! Hopefully my daughter will allow herself to watch it. Her school have pointed out that she knows very little about her ASD diagnosis and is almost in denial. We tried to talk to her and buy her books aimed at teens and young adults as she is a prolific reader, but after a cursory glance she will always say “I’m not reading that!”
However, I have noticed that she will watch a movie or documentary on AS/D
although she will pretend to be playing with a phone or something similar, I know she is watching and taking it in. It’s as though she will not read a dry book about her diagnosis but she is interested in watching people with the same diagnosis and hearing what they have to say, as long as she can pretend to be disinterested. So thanks for the info and hopefully she will (covertly) watch it and read the article linked here.

Interesting I related to alot of that as I was in my late twenties when I got my diagnosis. So is there a program based on this article on wed night 10pm?

Interesting I related to alot of that as I was in my late twenties when I got my diagnosis. So is there a program based on this article on wed night 10pm?

I think its a separate program. I just don't know what side its on. I dont think its bbc.
But its national autism awareness week or something...

I'm glad to see increasing numbers of late-diagnosed aspie women featured here and there. But it's frustrating that "late" generally means no more than their forties or fifties. And more usually, it's their twenties or thirties. Are older aspie women really so few and so invisible that no one can find them?

Interesting article. I know Autism is more of a male disorder than a female one as well. Good to see these women speaking up.

So is there 2 programs on about Autism wed night at 10pm? Ch4 and BBC? I'm confused now!

As far as I can see, there is one autism program being transmitted at 10 pm on Weds and it's on Channel 4. The BBC article that Sabrina linked to in the OP doesn't appear to have a TV programme to go with it (if there was such a programme, I'd expect a link to it in the news article).

Here's what the Radio Times shows for all terrestrial channels on Weds evening:
TV listings guide

I also grew up not knowing I was autistic. My mother kept mentioning autism at different points in my childhood, but I didn't understand it then until a few months ago when I decided to look it up after she said it again. Now I'm here and awaiting diagnosis from an autism test I had on the 28th. A month is like forever from now, and I'm worried that he won't find anything after I listed all the symptoms and took the test as well as me and my mother filling out the papers.

New Threads

Top Bottom