• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vivitar 5125 camera doesn't work, can I take it anywhere in Sheffield, England for repair?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
It's still under warranty from Argos, I bought it in late March so I've only had it a bit less than 6 months.

I am fully aware of Google.

I have changed the AAA batteries in the camera and it still doesn't work.

HELP! I took some photos on my phone as a back up and they haven't worked either.

It's still under warranty from Argos, I bought it in late March so I've only had it a bit less than 6 months.

I am fully aware of Google.

I have changed the AAA batteries in the camera and it still doesn't work.

HELP! I took some photos on my phone as a back up and they haven't worked either.
Have you contacted Argos?

Have you contacted Argos?

No point, they won't do anything because it's more than 90 days since I bought it, plus I don't have the receipt.

However I do have the card I bought it on.

Might call down tomorrow to Meadowhall Argos.

No point, they won't do anything because it's more than 90 days since I bought it, plus I don't have the receipt.

However I do have the card I bought it on.

Might call down tomorrow to Meadowhall Argos.
Ok, but your opening post didn't reflect that.

Did you send in any warranty paperwork from Vivitar?

Ok, but your opening post didn't reflect that.

Did you send in any warranty paperwork from Vivitar?

No, International company = International post costs.

Might Google their website to see if they have a UK phone number to call.

No, International company = International post costs.

Might Google their website to see if they have a UK phone number to call.

Be sure to refer to the correct model number: Vivitar S126

Though I suspect you're SOL on this. It's the sort of gamble one takes to get the functionality of a device they want at such a low cost. Expect to pay far more for decent digital cameras that last.

The sort of lesson we all endure at one time or another. That more often than not, "we get what we pay for".

Be sure to refer to the correct model number: Vivitar S126

Though I suspect you're SOL on this. It's the sort of gamble one takes to get the functionality of a device they want at such a low cost. Expect to pay far more for decent digital cameras that last.

The sort of lesson we all endure at one time or another. That more often than not, "we get what we pay for".

Well I Googled their website and it's an American company with no UK phone numbers, and I'm not adding about £20 to my phone bill for a long International call to explain my problem.

I filled in the form on their support page with my UK phone number, hopefully they'll call me next week.

Well I Googled their website and it's an American company with no UK phone numbers, and I'm not adding about £20 to my phone bill for a long International call to explain my problem.

I filled in the form on their support page with my UK phone number, hopefully they'll call me next week.

I suspect this is as good as it will probably get under the circumstances. Just an independent but generic troubleshooting site for Vivitar cameras:

https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-vivitar-cameras-492902

Truth is, to get a digital camera with the functionality and quality you were looking for, expect to pay two to three times what you paid for the Vivitar. Good digital cameras cost good money. Anything less is just that.

I suspect this is as good as it will probably get under the circumstances. Just an independent but generic troubleshooting site for Vivitar cameras:

https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-vivitar-cameras-492902

Truth is, to get a digital camera with the functionality and quality you were looking for, expect to pay two to three times what you paid for the Vivitar. Good digital cameras cost good money. Anything less is just that.

@Judge, I am an unemployed, on benefits 42 year old Aspie in the UK, I can't afford expensive cameras, especially when I use the camera about 3 or 4 times a year at the most.

@Judge, I am an unemployed, on benefits 42 year old Aspie in the UK, I can't afford expensive cameras, especially when I use the camera about 3 or 4 times a year at the most.

That won't change the dynamic that you get what you pay for. Your only recourse under such circumstances is to be patient and save money until you can afford something that will do the job and last.

Otherwise expect this to happen more often than not. It's sad, but there's a ton of stuff sold at the lowest of prices that fails quite quickly. And much of it goes under the radar of consumer watchdogs. Making a lot of Chinese manufacturers rich over predictable one-time purchases. Even better when disgruntled buyers repurchase the same item that fails just like the first one.

It's a market that is preying upon the instant gratification of consumers combined with products not meant to be repaired as they once were when I was much younger.

"Cheap" is seldom a positive sign over much of anything that is electrical. A lesson I once learned in the early 90s paying less then $20 for a no-name CD burner that was DOA.

Last edited:
That won't change the dynamic that you get what you pay for. Your only recourse under such circumstances is to be patient and save money until you can afford something that will do the job and last.

Otherwise expect this to happen more often than not. It's sad, but there's a ton of stuff sold at the lowest of prices that fails quite quickly. And much of it goes under the radar of consumer watchdogs. Making a lot of Chinese manufacturers rich over predictable one-time purchases. Even better when disgruntled buyers repurchase the same item that fails just like the first one.

It's a market that is preying upon the instant gratification of consumers combined with products not meant to be repaired as they once were when I was much younger.

"Cheap" is seldom a positive sign over much of anything that is electrical. A lesson I once learned in the early 90s paying less then $20 for a no-name CD burner that was DOA.

Yeah in most cases I know not to buy cheap goods made in Chinese sweat shops by people paid slave wages.

Yeah in most cases I know not to buy cheap goods made in Chinese sweat shops by people paid slave wages.

Unfortunately even the more reliable and expensive cameras are also likely to use components made in China using the same labor. But with improved foreign quality control standards and oversight involved.

Last edited:
Vivitar, a once storied camera brand known for quality flashes and third-party lenses, isn't what it used to be. The imprint is now owned by Sakar, a company that has built its reputation on low-cost products of questionable quality, manufactured to spec and imported from China.

Next time I buy a camera, I might even go against the grain and buy a Sony branded one, their cameras tend to do well in reviews from what I've read before.

Might hit PC World next week and have a look.

Sounds like the board. Most likely they will want you to send it out for repair, then the cost of shipping and what repairs they will cover under warranty might or might not be more than the camera is worth. You can try it, just make sure they give you a quote for any costs beforehand.

It's a shame, but most of them are basically disposable. I've torn apart quite a few and sometimes it's easy to see why.

I take quite a few pictures, both for pleasure and for ebay. So I go thru cameras. I normally buy something used a few years old for next to nothing on ebay, and use it until it dies or I run across an upgrade.

What I look for is lens quality (I prefer Leica), a decent zoom, and performance indoors in low light situations. I don't need to see every mega pixel, nor do I need to spend the extra time uploading all of them. Currently have an older used 5MP Panasonic Lumix that I have under $10.00 invested in including shipping. It replaced a more costly 16MP Fuji that was just a total mistake. The cheap Lumix shoots 100x better with a lot less fuss.

Sounds like the board. Most likely they will want you to send it out for repair, then the cost of shipping and what repairs they will cover under warranty might or might not be more than the camera is worth. You can try it, just make sure they give you a quote for any costs beforehand.

It's a shame, but most of them are basically disposable. I've torn apart quite a few and sometimes it's easy to see why.

I take quite a few pictures, both for pleasure and for ebay. So I go thru cameras. I normally buy something used a few years old for next to nothing on ebay, and use it until it dies or I run across an upgrade.

What I look for is lens quality (I prefer Leica), a decent zoom, and performance indoors in low light situations. I don't need to see every mega pixel, nor do I need to spend the extra time uploading all of them. Currently have an older used 5MP Panasonic Lumix that I have under $10.00 invested in including shipping. It replaced a more costly 16MP Fuji that was just a total mistake. The cheap Lumix shoots 100x better with a lot less fuss.

Cost of International shipping for a £30 camera? They can forget that, I'll just save up and buy a new camera at some point.

From the Argos website:

CAN I RETURN MY ITEM IF THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT?
If you’ve had it for more than 30 days…up to 12 months

We’ll assess what’s wrong and then, if possible, we may arrange for it to be repaired

If it’s faulty, we’ll fix it, replace it or give you all or some of your money back depending on how long the product might reasonably be expected to last. But after 6 months we might need you to prove that it was faulty at the time when you bought it, collected it or had it delivered.

We’re afraid wear and tear isn’t included.

Don’t take this wrong, but make sure any protective film is removed off the contacts were the batteries go. They can be small and clear and very hard to see.
Then, just make sure the batteries are placed in the right direction. I know you probably already know this but sometimes the simple things work.
Good luck with your camera.

Well I've just found the "Fast track" order receipt from Argos on my Gmail, so I'll go down to Argos later and see if they'll do anything

Well it turns out we don't need to go back to Argos, my carer has mended the camera! All it needed was clearing out the memory, and a new set of batteries.

Last edited:
Well it turns out we don't need to go back to Argos, my carer has mended the camera! All it needed was clearing out the memory, and a new set of batteries.

Interesting. Sounds like a similar problem I've had with my Sony digital recorder. Maddening when it happens. Though in this instance the +- contacts for the batteries are not movable. Wondering if using more expensive high-quality alkaline batteries would make a difference. Hmmm.

Glad you got it to work again though.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom