• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vintage truck photos

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
This past weekend a large vintage truck collection, here in Alberta, had it's annual open house, about 60 trucks crammed together inside a building (think winter time), awful photography but more about the experience of being there... International trucks only in this collection, and it's way better to see them in person than just on their website... My crappy photos (Part 1), my main interest was the commercial trucks... Their website where the better photos are - The Kirkham Collection • Old International Truck Parts

I'm pretty sure at least one person around will like these
Kirkham 05.jpg

Attachments

• Kirkham 01.jpg
    Kirkham 01.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Kirkham 10.jpg
    Kirkham 10.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Kirkham 09.jpg
    Kirkham 09.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Kirkham 08.jpg
    Kirkham 08.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Kirkham 07.jpg
    Kirkham 07.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Kirkham 06.jpg
    Kirkham 06.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Kirkham 04.jpg
    Kirkham 04.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Kirkham 03.jpg
    Kirkham 03.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Kirkham 02.jpg
    Kirkham 02.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 12
My crappy photos (Part 2
Kirkham 13.jpg
), my main interest was the commercial trucks...

Attachments

• Kirkham 20.jpg
    Kirkham 20.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Kirkham 19.jpg
    Kirkham 19.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Kirkham 18.jpg
    Kirkham 18.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Kirkham 17.jpg
    Kirkham 17.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Kirkham 16.jpg
    Kirkham 16.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Kirkham 15.jpg
    Kirkham 15.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 12
  • Kirkham 14.jpg
    Kirkham 14.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Kirkham 12.jpg
    Kirkham 12.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Kirkham 11.jpg
    Kirkham 11.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 12
These four trucks were on the outside of the shop, probably better photos :cool:
Kirkham 23.jpg

Attachments

• Kirkham 21.jpg
    Kirkham 21.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Kirkham 22.jpg
    Kirkham 22.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Kirkham 24.jpg
    Kirkham 24.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Kirkham 25.jpg
    Kirkham 25.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 10
Vintage American trucks are so appealing! They have such nice styling, yet are utilitarian too. I wish we had them in the UK. I guess we do have a few. I like the way they develop a nice patina when kept in a warm climate. They kinda develop a rash of rust, but they aren't corroding structurally. They seem so unfussy, like you could just throw a few supplies in and go anywhere :)

Vintage American trucks are so appealing! They have such nice styling, yet are utilitarian too. I wish we had them in the UK. I guess we do have a few. I like the way they develop a nice patina when kept in a warm climate. They kinda develop a rash of rust, but they aren't corroding structurally. They seem so unfussy, like you could just throw a few supplies in and go anywhere :)

There are lots of great looking UK trucks! We did get a few of them here in Canada after WW2, the most common being the Bedford CA, some Leyland, Morris and Austin trucks...

There are lots of great looking UK trucks! We did get a few of them here in Canada after WW2, the most common being the Bedford CA, some Leyland, Morris and Austin trucks...
That's true :) Unfortunately most of them have dissolved in the rainy British weather. Still, the American ones just seem cooler to me :)

That's true :) Unfortunately most of them have dissolved in the rainy British weather. Still, the American ones just seem cooler to me :)

I've just seen lots of photos from British car shows with some really nice vintage British trucks, but then what do I know :rolleyes: I'm more interested in classic import vehicles (I know I live in the wrong place), but go ahead and enjoy some American iron if that's what you like :)

I've just seen lots of photos from British car shows with some really nice vintage British trucks, but then what do I know :rolleyes: I'm more interested in classic import vehicles (I know I live in the wrong place), but go ahead and enjoy some American iron if that's what you like :)
I suppose being used to seeing British trucks, even some very old ones still on the road in the 80s, they don't seem so novel to me. I'd imagine if I'd grown up in the US, I probably would be looking at British trucks and thinking they were more interesting than the US ones. "The grass is always greener on the other side" as they say :)

I suppose being used to seeing British trucks, even some very old ones still on the road in the 80s, they don't seem so novel to me. I'd imagine if I'd grown up in the US, I probably would be looking at British trucks and thinking they were more interesting than the US ones. "The grass is always greener on the other side" as they say :)

Most trucks of the 1930's to 1950's (anywhere in the world) had far more style than the current crop of trucks, part of the art deco movement, the designers were also artists...

I'm primarily a computer guy, but I love engines, too. Great metal beasts to adjust, care, and feed, with a life and personality of their own. I had been getting into motorcycles more since I can't even afford a car these days.

The European trucks I've seen seem to have a smaller, more conservative style, and I'm not sure if that shows up in the performance numbers, or if it's solely just stylistic. Throughout the 20th century, the US was about doing things on a grand scale, so they liked their trucks to be huge, brute, and Mack-like.

Last edited:
Reminds me that the new Ford Broncos have been trying really hard to look like the old International Harvester's. What's old will always come back around as new and exciting again. That means that I can possibly become popular at around 87 years old, haha.

The European trucks I've seen seem to have a smaller, more conservative style, and I'm not sure if that shows up in the performance numbers, or if it's solely just stylistic. Throughout the 20th century, the US was about doing things on a grand scale, so they liked their trucks to be huge, brute, and Mack-like.
That's true :) In the UK and parts of Europe after the 2nd World War, we didn't have a plentiful supply of fuel, so cars and trucks were designed to be smaller to save weight. Also our roads were usually narrower too and we didn't build high speed high ways for quite a while. Some of our cars were sold into the US market. Up until the 1950s I think our cars were essentially identical.

The US had a massive supply of oil and the economy was booming there so car designs started to reflect the affluence. In the UK we weren't doing so great so our cars tended not to be as impressive unless you were upper class and could afford a Bentley or a Rolls Royce.

Reminds me that the new Ford Broncos have been trying really hard to look like the old International Harvester's. What's old will always come back around as new and exciting again. That means that I can possibly become popular at around 87 years old, haha.
All of the kids will aspire to be elderly just like us. It's the latest trend... very, very late...

That's true :) In the UK and parts of Europe after the 2nd World War, we didn't have a plentiful supply of fuel, so cars and trucks were designed to be smaller to save weight. Also our roads were usually narrower too and we didn't build high speed high ways for quite a while. Some of our cars were sold into the US market. Up until the 1950s I think our cars were essentially identical.

The US had a massive supply of oil and the economy was booming there so car designs started to reflect the affluence. In the UK we weren't doing so great so our cars tended not to be as impressive unless you were upper class and could afford a Bentley or a Rolls Royce.

I've moved to Mexico, and I see a lot more European-style vehicles down here, like Renault, and Mini Coopers, and also the Hilux mark, which was intended to make the concept of the pickup truck sound sophisticated. The rest of the world has a much more practical and usable notion of what a motorcycle is (versus the US), and I've been greatly enjoying efficient, lightweight, agile machines.

Don't forget about Canada, we had an even wider variety of British cars sold here (vs. the United States), British Commonwealth of course... And quite a few "lorrys" were sold here in the years immediately following WW2...

That's neat, but I never want to be that guy, who owns a car that's too "valuable" to drive.

"Big Al" drove this old Austin on the highway to shows in Ontario, and also owned this 1960's BMC Marshall coach (BMC = British Motor Corp), only six were built as factory support/racing support vehicles...
BMC Marshall Coach 01.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom