• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Very Personal Post

he sounds like someone with narcissitic personality disorder, you should look this up, if his sister is a therapist then who knows they might know about this too.

As a person with AS or asp, its hard to figure out intentions of others, and even understand why someone might be angry at you, however at this point it seems like he would even making you feel like crap because you are breathing in the same room. This is not what it should be like, and this is not right, he has issues and he is using you to blame and at the end of the day maybe make himself feel better, leaving you miserable. It wont be easy to move on, in the unpredictable world, let alone as AS and not being able to predict are a horrible match, but dont stay at the cost of your self esteem and your self worth, those are much more difficult to piece together, than the thought of having to deal with uncertainty through moving out of this abuse.

Can you make a plan with someone outside the situation? That way they can help you keep strong, help you pack up and leave. Otherwise you may lose courage to act on this.

They are trying to. I have to build up the resolve to leave. It's hard to do.

Sounds pretty hard to stay.

Here's some resolve: If you don't get out, you can't complain, not even internally. You are choosing to continue with things as they are then, so stay and be happy.

Oh, and resolve doesn't "build up". It erodes. Get out now.

I just have a hard time figuring out where my aspergers makes me unaware of if this is normal behavior or not. Usually when he does something that hurts my feelings I usually hear that I'm just sensitive and AS and am blowing it up.

I have had just such a person in my life for many years, and dumping him was the best thing I ever did.

My best friend, who ironically introduced him to me, has said I can spend a few weeks with him. He hates him now, not because of what he does to me, but what he did to his ex. But that's not stable. That's only for a few weeks. I'm not sure what I would do or if I could find a place in a few weeks.

And looking back on it, a part of my AS is obsession with horror movies. Every year he treats me to all of the horror amusement parks out here because he knows it's importatnt to me. That's why it's so weird when he suddenly acts mean towards me. There's a pendulum between being extremely nice and extremely mean and I can never adjust to it.

I second what someone has said before - this is emotionally abusive and controlling behavior. People who are like this might not see others as people with their own feelings and thoughts and opinions but as extentions of themselves. He's manipulating you and controlling you and you need to take the opportunity and get out fast. Staying will only do you long term harm. My mom was like this growing up and into my college years. These types of people won't change and they're very good at convincing you that its all your fault, that they do so many things for you, that you misunderstood or didn't remember it right, etc, all to keep you around.

You said your friend will let you stay with him for a few weeks, right? Use that opportunity to get on your feet. Do you have a job? A car or access to city transportation, or even a bike? It might not be enough to live on your own but it'll work if you can find a roommate or if a friend has a spare room. It'd do for now, anyways, just to get you out of there and on your feet.

I need help. So, I moved to a new town about 4 years ago. I only knew one person. He picked me up from the airport and then introduced me to one of his friends. The friend he introduced me to showered me immediately with care. FYI, we are homosexual males. Anyways, so my new friend I met the very first day made it a point to show me around the city and get me used to a brand new atmosphere. He was dating someone at the time, but always insisted on me being around. In a short period of time I became a professional third wheel. I was around so much that I would often witness some emotional and verbal abuse from my friend to his boyfriend. At first I wondered why his boyfriend would put up with it. However, my friend did a profoundly good job of making it seem like the boyfriend was inadequate and ungrateful and lazy, etc. I soon found my friend doing some pretty awful things to get “revenge” on his boyfriend that were awful and some his boyfriend still doesn’t even know about. I watched this person I called a friend do some horrendous things to people, but somehow felt close to him because he always confided it in me.

Fast forward 3 years later, and they have broken up(in a very cruel way). My friend decided to buy a house and asked me if I wanted to rent a room from him. While I friendship wasn’t always perfect(I was definitely on the receiving end of some silent treatments a few times) I figured it would be a good arrangement. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. While we inevitably got closer, his mask fully came off. Everything that went wrong in the house was my fault. I was expected to clean everything which was never discussed. Rent suddenly went up with no notice. He would humiliate me or mock me in front of guests. He would often give me the silent treatment anytime I questioned any of the things he did that bothered me around the house. He’s very social and somewhat of a playboy so there’s frequently guests or “dates” over regularly. It’s apparently my job to be a server, a cook, and a cleaner for his guests. We have a large common area that we generally are both in, but he has dates over so often that I’m generally pressured into being in my room most of the time. He constantly critiqes me, tells me what my problems are “because he cares” and everytime I achieve something he reminds me that it’s either insignificant or I got lucky and didn’t earn it. There have also been a few times where he actually hit me, one time in front of friends at a dinner party. I made a joke that he didn’t like and he punched me. The dinner party was immediately over as people were so disturbed that they left. He apologized the next day, but on top of the verbal abuse, I realized I am being abused. He humiliates me in public and on social media as well. He recently attacked me on FB for posting an opinion that he didn’t agree with. He attacked my opinion and me personally. I asked him not to do that and he unfollowed me in order to “not hurt me” which actually hurt more.

My friends don’t even allow me to speak about the situation anymore because they say they can’t stand hearing me be hurt by this person. My friends don’t even come over to the house anymore because they don’t like him and he’s not shy about being verbally abusive towards me in front of them. I’ve actually had to prevent my best friend from coming over to fight him after he heard he had been hitting me. I get inboxes and text messaged from people who see how he treats me on social media and sadly, my response is to defend him. I don’t know why, but I don’t like people thinking he’s a monster or bad person. Some of my friends have offered me a place to stay with them until I find my own place, but I feel like if I moved out, the friendship would be over and he would definitely attack me. It’s just so hard to picture the kind, generous person I met has now turned into someone that acts like he hates me. Actually, there are moments where he still treats me well, birthdays and holidays in particular. But when things are going well, its like he finds weird reasons to pick fights. Just yesterday he called me to blame something on me that wasn’t my fault and then he hung up on me. And I spent hours trying to replay the situation to see if maybe it was my fault.

I’ll be completely honest, during his period of being single we have been intimate. He initiated every part of sexual contact in the beginning and it was good. He is very charming, handsome, and physically fit. However, after a few months of casual sexual encounters all initiated by him, it stopped when I attempted to initiate. He went from frequently seducing me to suddenly saying that we are friends and shouldn’t cross that line anymore. This happened when I wanted it. We’ve been intimate here and there the past few months and again, he initiated it although he previously said he didn’t want to cross that line anymore. This always makes me feel awful.

Please, what kind of world am I trapped in?

You had me at "his mask came off." Get out! He may threaten you, get help! Domestic violence is a crime, call the police! Do you feel in your heart of hearts that you are worthy, that you are beautiful? Do you feel you do not deserve this? Sorry if i repeat what others have said... I just spouted off immediately without reading the whole thread--my knee jerk reaction. Study the sociopathic personality as an interest. Protect yourself.
http://fornology.blogspot.com/2015/03/gaslighting-sociopaths-favorite-tool.html ...

Take care.
J

Last edited:
You had me at "his mask came off." Get out! He may threaten you, get help! Domestic violence is a crime, call the police! Do you feel in your heart of hearts that you are worthy, that you are beautiful? Do you feel you do not deserve this? Sorry if i repeat what others have said... I just spouted off immediately without reading the whole thread--my knee jerk reaction. Study the sociopathic personality as an interest. Protect yourself.
http://fornology.blogspot.com/2015/03/gaslighting-sociopaths-favorite-tool.html ...

Take care.
J

I know I don't deserve it. I just get off balance because most of the times things are generally great. Then random fights get picked and I'm getting the silent treatment for days.

I know I don't deserve it. I just get off balance because most of the times things are generally great. Then random fights get picked and I'm getting the silent treatment for days.

Um, yeah. That's how he plays you like a marionette. Doesn't that make you angry? It should. You can't change him, and he will find someone else, but do you really want to continue volunteering?

I just cannot understand why people volunteer for this kind of treatment! I makes me angry and frustrated that they come on here and share all of this, then make excuses to stay there and continue to take it!

peoplesrjames: Why do you keep complaining about it but you won't do anything to change it? You are an autonomous being; you don't have to stay where you are not happy. What exactly do you expect us to do if you won't change anything? We obviously care enough to give you feedback but then you say things like "most of the time things are generally great." If that's good enough for you then that's how it'll stay. Peace.

I think you put it best, so eloquently, when you said "mask." I think you know what the truth is.

I appreciate the kind words from everyone. It's so hard because I'm afraid no matter what I do. I'm going to buikld up the courage to leave. I have to.

They are trying to. I have to build up the resolve to leave. It's hard to do.

This person sounds like they have narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) based on your descriptions. These types of people do not change and this person sounds like they might be a very good manipulator. They might be one individual behind closed doors and another person completely out in public or when company is over. They might have come from a bad background and never received the help they needed to deal with it. People with NPD might boost their (actually) fragile self esteem by picking arguments over everything and always needing to be right. Does this describe the person you know at all? Many people with NPD are. Google it and see if you think that it describes him.

That resolve you speak of will only weaken as time passes on. He will not change, he can't, not without even acknowledging that his behavior is a problem. You cannot do anything to make it better as it is NOT your fault to begin with. NO ONE deserves this treatment. You said it yourself - 'his mask came off'. In my opinion, anyone you can say that about isn't safe to be around. Not healthy at any rate. You deserve better, you deserve someone you don't have to 'walk on eggshells around' if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I just cannot understand why people volunteer for this kind of treatment! I makes me angry and frustrated that they come on here and share all of this, then make excuses to stay there and continue to take it!

peoplesrjames: Why do you keep complaining about it but you won't do anything to change it? You are an autonomous being; you don't have to stay where you are not happy. What exactly do you expect us to do if you won't change anything? We obviously care enough to give you feedback but then you say things like "most of the time things are generally great." If that's good enough for you then that's how it'll stay. Peace.

This is AspiesCentral, Garnet. Your post came off as quite negative in my opinion. This is meant to be a place of support and acceptance and your post did not come across as that to me. Us aspies get enough **** in real life let alone on here. He should be able to express his opinion without blatant negativity. If you have a problem with his post that's fine, you can have your opinion, but i think you should find a better, more (constructive?) way to word it.

Have you ever known someone with narcissistic personality disorder, or those type personality traits? I have because I grew up with one. Don't assume things are so black and white. He's on here for advice on a situation he's struggling with, and he's perfectly entitled to mull over it as long as he wants to. It sounds like a complex situation. Just because we replied doesn't mean he has to decide what we want him to, that's his decision.

This is AspiesCentral, Garnet. Your post came off as quite negative in my opinion. This is meant to be a place of support and acceptance and your post did not come across as that to me. Us aspies get enough **** in real life let alone on here. He should be able to express his opinion without blatant negativity. If you have a problem with his post that's fine, you can have your opinion, but i think you should find a better, more (constructive?) way to word it.

Have you ever known someone with narcissistic personality disorder, or those type personality traits? I have because I grew up with one. Don't assume things are so black and white. He's on here for advice on a situation he's struggling with, and he's perfectly entitled to mull over it as long as he wants to. It sounds like a complex situation. Just because we replied doesn't mean he has to decide what we want him to, that's his decision.

I do sincerely apologize if I came across as negative. I just got frustrated because I was being triggered to remember seeing my mother put up with this kind of treatment, and yes I have relatives that have narcissistic disorder issues, and who were abusive and cruel to me.

I come across blunt because of my aspieness, and not because I am meaning to be unkind. Please know that underneath my frustration is genuine compassion and concern! I hate it that my words are taken wrong. I don't think I will come back.

I am glad you shared here. You have gotten great guidance. My compassion for your challenging times in this relationship and situation.

To answer your question, you are not "trapped" in any way.
When you choose to take your power back, your life will be more healthy. It has little to do with him, and everything you do with you. When you understand that you are empowered to be responsible with whom you choose to surround yourself, you will opt to only create a circle of positive, healthy, balanced people in your life.

We may have challenges with reading facial expressions, body language, and intent, but once we DO sense something's amiss, ( and we learn to listen to our body's response during interactions... and to trust that response) we can choose who to engage with. After all. For us, engaging with anyone and is energetically expensive. To be in our circle: Only respectful, considerate people need apply.

Best of wishes and happy success moving forward toward balance, health, and positivity!

New Threads

Top Bottom