• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Very Personal Post

peoplesrjames

I need help. So, I moved to a new town about 4 years ago. I only knew one person. He picked me up from the airport and then introduced me to one of his friends. The friend he introduced me to showered me immediately with care. FYI, we are homosexual males. Anyways, so my new friend I met the very first day made it a point to show me around the city and get me used to a brand new atmosphere. He was dating someone at the time, but always insisted on me being around. In a short period of time I became a professional third wheel. I was around so much that I would often witness some emotional and verbal abuse from my friend to his boyfriend. At first I wondered why his boyfriend would put up with it. However, my friend did a profoundly good job of making it seem like the boyfriend was inadequate and ungrateful and lazy, etc. I soon found my friend doing some pretty awful things to get “revenge” on his boyfriend that were awful and some his boyfriend still doesn’t even know about. I watched this person I called a friend do some horrendous things to people, but somehow felt close to him because he always confided it in me.

Fast forward 3 years later, and they have broken up(in a very cruel way). My friend decided to buy a house and asked me if I wanted to rent a room from him. While I friendship wasn’t always perfect(I was definitely on the receiving end of some silent treatments a few times) I figured it would be a good arrangement. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. While we inevitably got closer, his mask fully came off. Everything that went wrong in the house was my fault. I was expected to clean everything which was never discussed. Rent suddenly went up with no notice. He would humiliate me or mock me in front of guests. He would often give me the silent treatment anytime I questioned any of the things he did that bothered me around the house. He’s very social and somewhat of a playboy so there’s frequently guests or “dates” over regularly. It’s apparently my job to be a server, a cook, and a cleaner for his guests. We have a large common area that we generally are both in, but he has dates over so often that I’m generally pressured into being in my room most of the time. He constantly critiqes me, tells me what my problems are “because he cares” and everytime I achieve something he reminds me that it’s either insignificant or I got lucky and didn’t earn it. There have also been a few times where he actually hit me, one time in front of friends at a dinner party. I made a joke that he didn’t like and he punched me. The dinner party was immediately over as people were so disturbed that they left. He apologized the next day, but on top of the verbal abuse, I realized I am being abused. He humiliates me in public and on social media as well. He recently attacked me on FB for posting an opinion that he didn’t agree with. He attacked my opinion and me personally. I asked him not to do that and he unfollowed me in order to “not hurt me” which actually hurt more.

My friends don’t even allow me to speak about the situation anymore because they say they can’t stand hearing me be hurt by this person. My friends don’t even come over to the house anymore because they don’t like him and he’s not shy about being verbally abusive towards me in front of them. I’ve actually had to prevent my best friend from coming over to fight him after he heard he had been hitting me. I get inboxes and text messaged from people who see how he treats me on social media and sadly, my response is to defend him. I don’t know why, but I don’t like people thinking he’s a monster or bad person. Some of my friends have offered me a place to stay with them until I find my own place, but I feel like if I moved out, the friendship would be over and he would definitely attack me. It’s just so hard to picture the kind, generous person I met has now turned into someone that acts like he hates me. Actually, there are moments where he still treats me well, birthdays and holidays in particular. But when things are going well, its like he finds weird reasons to pick fights. Just yesterday he called me to blame something on me that wasn’t my fault and then he hung up on me. And I spent hours trying to replay the situation to see if maybe it was my fault.

I’ll be completely honest, during his period of being single we have been intimate. He initiated every part of sexual contact in the beginning and it was good. He is very charming, handsome, and physically fit. However, after a few months of casual sexual encounters all initiated by him, it stopped when I attempted to initiate. He went from frequently seducing me to suddenly saying that we are friends and shouldn’t cross that line anymore. This happened when I wanted it. We’ve been intimate here and there the past few months and again, he initiated it although he previously said he didn’t want to cross that line anymore. This always makes me feel awful.

Please, what kind of world am I trapped in?

You are trapped in the personal world of an abusive control freak. Get out of there, find somewhere else to live and once you do, have nothing further to do with him. You saw how he treated his first boyfriend, now he's doing exactly the same thing to you. He doesn't see you as a person but merely as a possession.

I suspect that dominant and submissive relationships only work if both parties are completely comfortable in the roles they possess. A social dynamic that probably doesn't happen very often.

Otherwise I'd think it can be particularly problematic when the one who perceives themselves dominant doesn't honestly care how the other person feels about being forced into a role of submission. Where "resistance is futile".

Run- don't walk away from such a controlling person.

I just have a hard time figuring out where my aspergers makes me unaware of if this is normal behavior or not. Usually when he does something that hurts my feelings I usually hear that I'm just sensitive and AS and am blowing it up.

You are trapped in the personal world of an abusive control freak. Get out of there, find somewhere else to live and once you do, have nothing further to do with him. You saw how he treated his first boyfriend, now he's doing exactly the same thing to you. He doesn't see you as a person but merely as a possession.

But I'm not his boyfriend.

Close, brotherly pals, who sometimes
have sex with each other, but only when
he wants, not when you make the first move.

This doesn't sound so fun and brotherly to me.
But, Cain and Abel were brothers, too.

Close, brotherly pals, who sometimes
have sex with each other, but only when
he wants, not when you make the first move.

This doesn't sound so fun and brotherly to me.
But, Cain and Abel were brothers, too.

Well...when you put it like that...

I want to leave but feel like I don't know where I would go or who would be there for me.

Sometimes you just have to adjust to the prospects of living alone and without any real support network. It can be scary at times, but in the process you might just find you are drawing on personal resources you never knew you had.

If you don't leave then you're effectively giving him permission to continue treating you like sh*t and that's precisely what he'll do. Over time he'll get progressively more abusive too. Nobody else can get you out of the situation except yourself and if instead you simply find excuses not to leave then you obviously don't value your own safety or your own worth as a human being. Be it on your own head.

Last edited:
I want to leave but feel like I don't know where I would go or who would be there for me.

Seems to me having NO ONE there for you is still preferable to having this monster abusing you and messing with your head constantly. Grow a pair and do the smart thing, the thing that is best for you, though it will be painful, scary and difficult for a while. Leaving ASAP, immediately, holds a very high probability of a better life for you, though there is a risk of things worsening. Staying absolutely guarantees more misery and abuse. And people like this always escalate over time.

I just have a hard time figuring out where my aspergers makes me unaware of if this is normal behavior or not. Usually when he does something that hurts my feelings I usually hear that I'm just sensitive and AS and am blowing it up.

This is NOT normal behaviour, and you are NOT blowing it out of proportion. He is an abuser sweetness and you need to find the courage to leave. The physical and emotional abuse will continue and get worse and worse as time goes on. I wish I could give you a huge hug and help you out of this! As scared as you feel about leaving, staying will do nothing but hurt you more xxxxx

Edit to add: Him telling you its because you're AS, sensitive etc is him placing the blame on you, specifically using your AS, which is disgusting on his part! You are a victim, never ever blame yourself for someone else abusing you! xx

Last edited:
This is NOT normal behaviour, and you are NOT blowing it out of proportion. He is an abuser sweetness and you need to find the courage to leave. The physical and emotional abuse will continue and get worse and worse as time goes on. I wish I could give you a huge hug and help you out of this! As scared as you feel about leaving, staying will do nothing but hurt you more xxxxx

Edit to add: Him telling you its because you're AS, sensitive etc is him placing the blame on you, specifically using your AS, which is disgusting on his part! You are a victim, never ever blame yourself for someone else abusing you! xx

That's why I get confused. I know I have AS and he does too. He says he knew before I actually told him because his sisters a therapist. He uses the whole "I'm the only one that really understands you and you just don't get certain things" line all the time. So a sense of need has been instilled since day one. Reading all of the responses is hard because I agree with them, but leaving feels like jumping into a black hole since I'm very routine based and this has become a part of my routine.

That's why I get confused. I know I have AS and he does too. He says he knew before I actually told him because his sisters a therapist. He uses the whole "I'm the only one that really understands you and you just don't get certain things" line all the time. So a sense of need has been instilled since day one. Reading all of the responses is hard because I agree with them, but leaving feels like jumping into a black hole since I'm very routine based and this has become a part of my routine.

Sounds as if he has manipulated you via your AS from day one :( thats an evil thing to have done, especially seeing as you aren't sure what is perceived as being right/wrong...
I can't even imagine how scary and difficult changing up your routine would be, and I'm sorry you're in such a unpleasant predicament :( unfortunately there's not going to be an easy way out of it.
Is there anyone you can run to? Just pack up your important things and go? xxx

Sounds as if he has manipulated you via your AS from day one :( thats an evil thing to have done, especially seeing as you aren't sure what is perceived as being right/wrong...
I can't even imagine how scary and difficult changing up your routine would be, and I'm sorry you're in such a unpleasant predicament :( unfortunately there's not going to be an easy way out of it.
Is there anyone you can run to? Just pack up your important things and go? xxx

My best friend, who ironically introduced him to me, has said I can spend a few weeks with him. He hates him now, not because of what he does to me, but what he did to his ex. But that's not stable. That's only for a few weeks. I'm not sure what I would do or if I could find a place in a few weeks.

And looking back on it, a part of my AS is obsession with horror movies. Every year he treats me to all of the horror amusement parks out here because he knows it's importatnt to me. That's why it's so weird when he suddenly acts mean towards me. There's a pendulum between being extremely nice and extremely mean and I can never adjust to it.

My best friend, who ironically introduced him to me, has said I can spend a few weeks with him. He hates him now, not because of what he does to me, but what he did to his ex. But that's not stable. That's only for a few weeks. I'm not sure what I would do or if I could find a place in a few weeks.

And looking back on it, a part of my AS is obsession with horror movies. Every year he treats me to all of the horror amusement parks out here because he knows it's importatnt to me. That's why it's so weird when he suddenly acts mean towards me. There's a pendulum between being extremely nice and extremely mean and I can never adjust to it.

That back and forth between loving and abusive is how he controls you. If he's nice to you sometimes, when he does bad things you'll think of the nice parts and go, "well, he can't be that bad, look at all the lovely things we do!" manipulation at its finest.

There is a decision you'll need to make sweetness, whichever way you decide you need to go, I wish you the best. Please don't hesitate to inbox me if you feel the need to talk to someone :) xxx

I was in an abusive relationship many years ago, and remember swinging back and forth in my decision to leave him. When I finally did, I was on my own with a newborn child but I was able to draw on those inner reserves that I never knew that I had! I ended up getting an apartment and going back to school when my child was one year old, (she went to daycare) and I never looked back. You only live once, and why spend your younger years putting up with crap? Do you have dreams, ambitions that you would like to go for? Do you picture having this mess of a person at your side throughout your life?

Seriously dude, get the hell away from your roommate. Perhaps there are domestic violence shelters that would accept a male, and they usually have caseworkers that will help you get a new place to live. Or if you phone one they can perhaps advise you on getting safely away. You don't have to accept crumbs of niceness mixed in with cruelty, humiliation and abuse. Unless you really want to. Good luck to you!

Some of my friends have offered me a place to stay with them until I find my own place, but I feel like if I moved out, the friendship would be over and he would definitely attack me.

There's your answer. Move out, block him on all social media, and who cares what a sick abuser thinks?

Get away and your head will clear.

New Threads

Top Bottom