• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unusual phobias in children with ASD

stanmgk

My father was talking to me about the fears I had when I was a child. Most of those fears were related to media. For example: test patterns at the beginning of VHSs, 20th Century Fox logo, still images at the movies. Some weren't related: fear of cloudy days and thunderstorms, being murdered.

I, then, found this very interesting article:
Unusual Fears and Phobias in Children with ASD

It seems unusual fears and phobias may be very common in children with ASD.
According to the research, one of the most common unusual fear is fear of toilets. Also, most children (71,1%) had unusual fears in only one category.

Once again, my unusual fear is not in a list of fears. I have a great fear of buildings or things collapsing underneath me. When I'm in a building that's more than 2 stories high, I get extremely nervous. I also can 'feel' swaying underneath me (no doubt a simple affect of the fear.) Apparently I developed this fear after 9/11, (which I have zero feelings about 9/11, so it seems strange that somebody would attribute my fear to that.) I hate bridges, I hate a lot of built things honestly. Stairs. I just can't teach myself to trust things. >:

Also I don't know why heights was considered an unusual fear, as that's a really common one - along with claustrophobia.

That was a very interesting article. Even at my age, I can remember when I was five or six years old. My grandmother lived in a very old, creepy house in Chicago. I did not like the house and really did not like the basement. Even with the lights on, it was dark and full of shadows. I can still see that basement in my minds eye. I don't know if that had any thing to do with that, but when I was a teen and a young adult I was a risk taker. Now it scares me to think about some the things I used to do.

When i was little I had a fear of wind and clouds. The wind was so bad I would have meltdowns if anyone tried to get me outside, even is it was breezy. Even when it was not I spent my recess time in preschool and kindergarten hiding in a giant tractor tire that was in the playground.

did not even think about balloons. I will not under any circumstances attempt to blow one up using an air tank. If I use my lungs I always under inflate them. I am so afraid of one popping I don't want to be anywhere near some one inflating them. I work in retail and we get balloons for some events, I get very odd looks when I adamantly say I won't go near the things.

I don't think my childhood fear was too unusual except for the degree to which it frightened me. I was terrified of insects, especially flying insects. I finally got over it at some point. Now I'm the one who carries insects outdoors rather than kill them.

Oh, and I had a fear of having any clothing pulled over my head.

My three year old.
Fear of
Wind
Rain
Vacuum
Blender
Doctors
Insects
Daddy not being able to fix it
The sea

To name but a few

Huh. That's interesting. I was afraid of both my parents sitting on my bed at once because it would sink so much under the weight of three people it seemed like it was going to break, and creeped out by a perfectly bare floor at night.

The only unusual fear I had as a kid was of those big forklifts and other machines at Lowes. They freaked me out for some reason, even if I just heard the beeping at a distance. I still hate those things.

Now I remember that I always had fear of big letters. My grandma had a towel which had a giant logo and, when I saw this, I used to cry a lot. Also, there was a store next to my house which had a giant logo at the facade.

New Threads

Top Bottom