• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unsure of the gentleman diagnosing me.

CalDomine

He keeps using the term asperger's, which, as I'm lead to understand, is no longer part of the diagnostic model.
Also, he told me not to research autism at all, which I found strange.

He keeps using the term asperger's, which, as I'm lead to understand, is no longer part of the diagnostic model.

Hi CalDomine
I'm wondering if this is UK or US or elsewhere? I suppose if he is used to using the term "Aspergers" it may feel natural for him to continue to do so despite the reclassification of terms. Maybe he is not aware of the reclassification of terms? As far as you not researching Autism, maybe he thinks it could be actively used by you during assessment to influence your responses? Or maybe he doesn't want you to be affected consciously or unconsciously by written insights on Autism? Relying on & requiring first -instance answers-responses during testing? I dunno :) Doubly interested as I have a re-assessment Friday. My original high function autistic spectrum disorder(s) diagnosis was in 1998/9 & done by an educational psychologist at Uni. This time it will be a locum psychiatrist so no idea what to expect. I done a shedload of research the last couple years though, in lieu of years of diagnosis-denial so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing regarding the pending encounter haha

All the best to you CalDomine :)

An American lady on SOS in France, told me that the experts are those with aspergers, but we are ignored due to: biased opinion.

I went to an "ordinary" dr and blurted out that I have aspergers and of course, she asks when I was diagnosed and I could not lie. Now this dr knows 0 about me and yet, comparing me with classic autistic patients, she slams me with: there is no way you have aspergers ( despite claiming she knows what it is). It manifests itself in certain settings!

"Professionals" are more confused that we aspies, ever could be! I would personally be very polite and see if you can find an aspie professional and if he is supposed to be one, then goodness me, what next?!

Is he an older guy? Maybe he's just not staying "updated", so to speak.
The doctor who diagnosed me gave me the same advice, he was worried I "wouldn't understand" the diagnosis and make the wrong conclusions or something. Didn't stop me from doing my research though, not like he could force me not to.

I went to an "ordinary" dr and blurted out that I have aspergers and of course, she asks when I was diagnosed and I could not lie. Now this dr knows 0 about me and yet, comparing me with classic autistic patients, she slams me with: there is no way you have aspergers ( despite claiming she knows what it is). It manifests itself in certain settings

I've had professionals within psychiatry on both sides of the argument, some have told me "yup, you're an aspie", others "I know what Asperger's is, and you definitely don't have Asperger's". It's made things very confusing, I'm still not entirely sure if my aspie-like traits are due to, well, Asperger's, or my childhood being full of traumatizing events.

Last edited:
Does he wear a lab coat? I don't pay any attention to doctors unless they wear a lab coat.

;)

He probably just doesn't want you to "know" the answers to give to convince him you have AS/don't have AS. Presumably he forgot that you already know enough to suspect you have AS and that's why you're there now.

He is an older guy, yeah.
The fact that he obviously isn't up to date of current diagnostic criteria is exactly what worries me.
I'm sure he's very professional, but if he is out of date enough to still use "Asperger's", then what if he's so out of date that he fails to realise that autistic adults will have found coping mechanisms to appear NT.
I have a lot of concerns, but we'll just have to see how things play out, I suppose.

Also, I'm based in the UK, for the person who was wondering (I can't see your name from here, sorry).

I was not diagnosed until I was 62 years old, which makes my situation different than most. I first heard of AS when I was 60. After that I researched it for a couple of years. I was about 95% sure that I was a Aspie, but I wanted to know for sure. I already knew that doctors are not all the same, so I sought out a doctor who was experienced with AS. I was diagnosed with the old DSM-4. I feel confident that I got the right diagnosis. The point is that no one should feel uneasy about shopping around for the right doctor.

He is an older guy, yeah.
The fact that he obviously isn't up to date of current diagnostic criteria is exactly what worries me.
I'm sure he's very professional, but if he is out of date enough to still use "Asperger's", then what if he's so out of date that he fails to realise that autistic adults will have found coping mechanisms to appear NT.
I have a lot of concerns, but we'll just have to see how things play out, I suppose.

Also, I'm based in the UK, for the person who was wondering (I can't see your name from here, sorry).

It is my understanding that Asperger's Syndrome is still a correct term in the UK. Is this not correct? Anyone?

It is my understanding that Asperger's Syndrome is still a correct term in the UK. Is this not correct? Anyone?
My friend had a grandchild who was diagnosed as Asperger's Syndrome early this spring here in the USA. His parents weren't handed papers for any level of autism as described in the DSM 5. I am not sure how it was even possible,but the kid is getting support funded by the government to help him.

New Threads

Top Bottom