• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
The keyboard has ruined my handwriting skills.
I'm a good touch typist and it is just so much faster, so my thoughts flow easier.
Writing seems tedious compared to typing.

I agree @The Pandector that writing is for grocery lists, notes, signing business papers and short items.
I haven't always been this way.
I used to like writing letters to people and keeping a journal, but then e-mail came along and that went by the wayside.
Same with reading. I prefer the computer for that now also.
But I don't like texting.

I use both, but not very good at either of them. I have bad handwriting, and can't write quickly. I can't type as fast as most people either, though I have become faster in recent years.

Mostly typing for me. I type at the speed of a thing that's too fast for me to finish this analogy properly.

As for writing, well... when I'm doing like, proper brush lettering? Pretty, flowing script, colorful and with flourishes.

Basic handwriting? Hieroglyphics, made by someone who has never seen hieroglyphics before. It's that bad.

I used to write fiction by hand, up until I got my first typewriter in my twenties. I prefer the keyboard so that I can keep up with my ideas, and don't really miss handwriting, due to hand cramping: a common malady with left handed people!

I prefer typing. It's so much faster and I can actually type about as fast as my thoughts which helps a lot more. Writing I find myself having a lot of trouble keeping up with my brain.

For example this post probably would have taken me 1 minute to write but I typed it in 30 seconds. Big difference for me so it's very helpful.

Last edited:
I prefer typing because it's easier for me to organize my thoughts that way compared to handwriting, I can't exactly backspace and reword myself when I try to think of what I want to say if I were writing something by hand VS me typing it out.

I have never liked writing stuff by hand for a variety of reasons, I think part of it is because I am left-handed and when I was in school, a lot of the desks are made for right-handed people and so I would often have to angle myself weirdly when sitting so I could write but that just resulted in me getting cramps and aches in my wrist. When I was at home, it was fine but writing stuff by hand in school was annoying because they had no left-handed desks.
That makes sense. Ohh yes, I have a friend who is left-handed, she had to do the same. She's a really talented artist and smart person. Having no left-handed desks seems frustrating.

The keyboard has ruined my handwriting skills.
I'm a good touch typist and it is just so much faster, so my thoughts flow easier.
Writing seems tedious compared to typing.

I agree @The Pandector that writing is for grocery lists, notes, signing business papers and short items.
I haven't always been this way.
I used to like writing letters to people and keeping a journal, but then e-mail came along and that went by the wayside.
Same with reading. I prefer the computer for that now also.
But I don't like texting.
You're similar to my Grandma (no offense, don't take it the wrong way), she likes and does all three ^^ Sometimes I help her when she has trouble with technology because she gets frustrated over it. My Mum did an IT degree and is interested in how computers work.

Mostly typing for me. I type at the speed of a thing that's too fast for me to finish this analogy properly.

As for writing, well... when I'm doing like, proper brush lettering? Pretty, flowing script, colorful and with flourishes.

Basic handwriting? Hieroglyphics, made by someone who has never seen hieroglyphics before. It's that bad.
Aww that's really nice ^^ I like it though, I don't think it's bad

I prefer typing because it's easier for me to organize my thoughts that way compared to handwriting, I can't exactly backspace and reword myself when I try to think of what I want to say if I were writing something by hand VS me typing it out.

I have never liked writing stuff by hand for a variety of reasons, I think part of it is because I am left-handed and when I was in school, a lot of the desks are made for right-handed people and so I would often have to angle myself weirdly when sitting so I could write but that just resulted in me getting cramps and aches in my wrist. When I was at home, it was fine but writing stuff by hand in school was annoying because they had no left-handed desks.
Yes! That whole right hand desk thing is akin to foot binding. Like they couldn’t just use the exact same pieces to assemble a left hand desk! Talk about abuse as a way of life. Then they have the gall to tell Lefty that he has to flatten his wrist, etc., etc. because he fails to write smoothly as he drags his traumatized elbow bone over the edge of the desk for the fiftieth time…. Okay. I’m okay now. That topic needs a trigger warning. ;)

Neat idea, I'll respond in writing first then...

PXL_20230503_140140168.MP.jpg

Always hated having to write out entire pages by hand when it was required, too much strain on my right hand. Also don't have anything else besides a bunch of bent up copy paper right now and...well, a single pen that, as you can see, is running low on ink. Note to self: get some gel pens, mechanical pencils, and a proper notebook...just in case.

Typing I'm fine with and is the bulk of what I do now. Neither are a problem for me except when it's over an extended period of time. I don't think that's good over the long term for anyone anyways, unless they've got hands of steel or something I'm not aware of to keep at it.

Typing over handwriting 99% of the time. I can keep up with my thoughts if I type, and I usually need to type/write for formal or business reasons, so my concentration is on how clearly I can express my ideas. Typing allows me to go back and re-word things if they seem unclear from an objective eye. If I handwrite, I risk losing my thought in the middle of etching out my sentence, as my mind wanders to making sure my handwriting looks nice, and does not think about the contents of my writing.

The only time I strongly prefer handwriting is when I am journaling my emotions, and it is purely for me and it doesn't matter if I am expressing myself clearly objectively as no one will read it :)

Neat idea, I'll respond in writing first then...

View attachment 102230

Always hated having to write out entire pages by hand when it was required, too much strain on my right hand. Also don't have anything else besides a bunch of bent up copy paper right now and...well, a single pen that, as you can see, is running low on ink. Note to self: get some gel pens, mechanical pencils, and a proper notebook...just in case.

Typing I'm fine with and is the bulk of what I do now. Neither are a problem for me except when it's over an extended period of time. I don't think that's good over the long term for anyone anyways, unless they've got hands of steel or something I'm not aware of to keep at it.
I love your handwriting though, it's okay :)

Typing over handwriting 99% of the time. I can keep up with my thoughts if I type, and I usually need to type/write for formal or business reasons, so my concentration is on how clearly I can express my ideas. Typing allows me to go back and re-word things if they seem unclear from an objective eye. If I handwrite, I risk losing my thought in the middle of etching out my sentence, as my mind wanders to making sure my handwriting looks nice, and does not think about the contents of my writing.

The only time I strongly prefer handwriting is when I am journaling my emotions, and it is purely for me and it doesn't matter if I am expressing myself clearly objectively as no one will read it :)
Me too honestly, writing is more of a fun thing for me to relieve emotion, same with drawing with a pencil ^^

I am someone that prefers handwriting. I get thoughts out better that way. Just grabbing a paper and pen/pencil tends to make it easier for me. Despite my less than clean handwriting.

I don't mind typing. But I reserve that more for stuff like being on forums, like this. I am not big on typing documents on the computer. It doesn't feel as personal, I guess. Plus none of the sensory of holding a pen/pencil and hearing the writing sounds on paper. It's mechanical clacking. Just not as soothing and pleasing.

But that just maybe me.

I am someone that prefers handwriting. I get thoughts out better that way. Just grabbing a paper and pen/pencil tends to make it easier for me. Despite my less than clean handwriting.

I don't mind typing. But I reserve that more for stuff like being on forums, like this. I am not big on typing documents on the computer. It doesn't feel as personal, I guess. Plus none of the sensory of holding a pen/pencil and hearing the writing sounds on paper. It's mechanical clacking. Just not as soothing and pleasing.

But that just maybe me.
Wow that makes a lot of sense to me personally.. I like the idea of using a typewriter or something I haven't used before, even something old fashioned. I enjoy both and think that writing is more enjoyable and less strenuous :) I also do it less often since I'm accustomed to technology.

Each is different, for me. Handwriting helps me remember things, if I won't just remember. And it will help me remember, even if I never look again. Especially if I make up a shorthand on the fly.
-
Typing is good for me to collect my thoughts. I type very fast, so I can edit on the fly.
-
They use different parts of the brain, so while the end result may be the same, they serve different purposes, for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom