• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Two more social disappointments

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I got up early in the morning so I could attend a hiking Meet Up event in Austin. Unfortunately, the experience was sour. I overshot the trailhead because I didn’t know the area and the place I thought it was going to happen at was the wrong one. I ended up wasting $10 on a camping site and I wasn’t allowed a refund. I got to the trailhead and was far behind the others. Even trying to contact the organizers was unproductive since they didn’t respond to me at all but they did to others. After running and stepping on stones in rivers for 40 or more minutes, myself and another person who was delayed caught up with the group. Unfortunately, few people were social and one of the organizers has been passive aggressive to me.

I also got a notice from the gaming group I’ve been a part of for a good while now. First they wanted me to take a more active participation in their games but after a kerfuffle in trying to organize the next game, they decided to instead give me a proverbial restraining order. I can’t join in any games until further notice and they think maybe I should join a different group.

Last edited:
Sorry about your experiences. I don't know how meet ups work, though I have been a trip leader for Sierra Club local outings and for the Traverse Area Paddle Club and organize rides or events for the bike club.. I require signups, and in an email, trip directions as well as participants are shared in order to promote car pooling. Sometimes, an easy location is chosen to meet at and we caravan from there or people are provided maps. With this, I know who to expect and know that the when and where is understood. So, making sure people arrive is planned and not left to chance, though being on time is appreciated. I'd avoid outings conducted by that leader. Better yet, if you know a nice hike or two why not go through the process to be vetted as a leader and organize an outing.

@Markness

For the hiking Meet Ups, how many organizers are there?
What does the passive aggressive one do?

The gaming group: What's going on there?
What does 'take a more active participation in their games' mean?

How interested in their games are you?

Sorry to hear of your experiences.

I live in a mountainous area and there are a number of clubs and organizations, formal and informal.

There's three main categories that they tend to fall into:

1) Experienced / Casual

Target: experienced / higher level hikers (e.g. trail runners, those training for ultras, or are comfortable doing multiple summits in a day, etc.), who are usually quite familiar with the hikes in the area, and can tackle them at a faster pace

Intention: Have some buddies for your trip / group training

Style: Usually someone announces that they are going on a certain hike at a certain time, and those interested can join them there - a very casual approach to things. Basically, meet at the trailhead at X time and let's go. Due to the lack of structure, typically fast pace, and that they may be visiting more technical trails, not recommended for someone who doesn't fit the target profile.

2) Mixed / Affinity Organization

Target: any skill/comfort level

Intention: To bring people from a certain area or school together as a social activity

Style: There is a formal club that participants have to join, sign a waiver for, and pay dues, which are often assessed on an annual basis, but sometimes available on a per-trip basis as well. There is an organizer who does call-outs for events and they are often an experienced hiker with first aid training.
If someone is interested in a certain hike, they can reach out to the organizer to suggest it.
When calling out for an event, they will provide details (location, if vehicle needed, time, difficulty level, recent trip reports, equipment/supplies/money for gas, parking or campsite etc. needed, and if the club itself may have any equipment for rent), and ask potential participants to confirm if they are driving or available to drive, and if so, number of seats available, or if they need a ride.
The organizer will cap the size at whatever they are comfortable with (usually 20 or 30), and provide updates when it is full, or if more drivers are needed.
There are some standard rules (e.g. Trips are usually Saturday or Sunday, meet at X Community Centre at 7:45-8:00 AM for sign in and for distribution of maps and to go over back-up plans in case the parking is full, emergencies, etc., drivers depart at 8:15 AM sharp, and everyone meets up again at the destination parking together, though if group size is large enough, the organizer may allow splitting into two or maybe three groups based on speed)

2a) Mixed / Self Organizing

This is basically a variant of #2, where the group/club leader is more of a facilitator rather than an organizer. Members join, and their dues/donation, sign the waiver, but call-outs can be done by any member on the basis that they become the organizer for that hike, and on the expectation that they are familiar with that hike. The member would endeavor to ensure if possible that at least one person with first aid is on the trip, and following the trip, they would provide a trip report to the facilitator.
The facilitator may organize one or two general meetings per year.

It sounds like the event you joined is similar to that of #1, and perhaps going forward you may find a #2 or #2a type club/organization to be more suitable.

I especially liked the Style, section in Mixed/Affinity Org.. I always liked car pooling - the better to meet people. I met my spouse carpooling to a national service trip when she was in Chicago and I was passing through Illinois for fossil collecting.

Sorry about your experiences. I don't know how meet ups work, though I have been a trip leader for Sierra Club local outings and for the Traverse Area Paddle Club and organize rides or events for the bike club.. I require signups, and in an email, trip directions as well as participants are shared in order to promote car pooling. Sometimes, an easy location is chosen to meet at and we caravan from there or people are provided maps. With this, I know who to expect and know that the when and where is understood. So, making sure people arrive is planned and not left to chance, though being on time is appreciated. I'd avoid outings conducted by that leader. Better yet, if you know a nice hike or two why not go through the process to be vetted as a leader and organize an outing.

Well, the Meet Up group that includes hiking I left has a monopoly over all the hiking spots in the Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood region. I also don’t have a PC so I can’t organize anything and while I am saving up for one, it’s going to take a long while because good ones aren’t cheap.

Why did I leave the outdoor Meet Up group? Well, I could only attend the Monday hikes because of my work schedule, it got frustrating how some people would disappear without warning (One who I thought liked me I reached out to through Meet Up’s messenger did not reply back to me.), I got deathly sick twice, and the group leader chewed me out while others were in earshot.

Well, the Meet Up group that includes hiking I left has a monopoly over all the hiking spots in the Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood region. I also don’t have a PC so I can’t organize anything and while I am saving up for one, it’s going to take a long while because good ones aren’t cheap.

Why did I leave the outdoor Meet Up group? Well, I could only attend the Monday hikes because of my work schedule, it got frustrating how some people would disappear without warning (One who I thought liked me I reached out to through Meet Up’s messenger did not reply back to me.), I got deathly sick twice, and the group leader chewed me out while others were in earshot.
Is there a local chapter of the Sierra Club that runs outings? There you will find people willing to help and teach as well as the type of leaders who enjoy their activities. You will find out that nobody has a lock on trails. And weekend trips are memorable.

@Markness

For the hiking Meet Ups, how many organizers are there?
What does the passive aggressive one do?

The gaming group: What's going on there?
What does 'take a more active participation in their games' mean?

How interested in their games are you?

It’s not solely a hiking Meet Up group. It’s meant to be a group for sober people who want to do activities. Hiking just happened to be the activity they decided on. The two organizers I met at the Sans Bar and they invited me to join. One is a man and the other is a woman. The woman got bent out of shape over something I said about Demon’s Souls even though it wasn’t a dig at it; it was actually a praise for the game! She refuses to talk to me even if I ask Meet Up related questions and gave me the cold shoulder on the hike.

As for the gaming group, they are blunt military or related types who cycle through tons of different tabletop RPGs. They think I am not participating enough and that’s largely because I am still a novice at this medium of gaming as well as getting discouraged when my voice is either not heard or when my input fizzles out.

Adderall helps me concentrate on them in general.

Is there a local chapter of the Sierra Club that runs outings? There you will find people willing to help and teach as well as the type of leaders who enjoy their activities. You will find out that nobody has a lock on trails.

Never heard of them so I don’t know.

Never heard of them so I don’t know.
The Austin Regional Group of the Sierra Club has their outings on the meetup calendar. I believe they have about 5,000 members If your library can access the website, you will find outings and more.

Of the six couples living in N. Michigan who remain close friends, 4 of us met our spouses on outings.

As for the gaming group, they are blunt military or related types who cycle through tons of different tabletop RPGs.

There's your possible problem there; I know friends who have kept RPG's going for a long time. Hard to get involved in the act of storytelling when you speedrun it.

The woman got bent out of shape over something I said about Demon’s Souls even though it wasn’t a dig at it; it was actually a praise for the game! She refuses to talk to me even if I ask Meet Up related questions and gave me the cold shoulder on the hike.

I... what?

Well, THAT is someone you dont need to be hanging around. I've met gamers like that... the sort that base their entire bloody identity on their favorite game and if you say something even slightly off-putting about it, they react as if you'd insulted their great ancestors and then, I dunno, slap you with a glove and challenge you to a duel.

Chances are that person would soon prove herself to be rather unpleasant even if you hadnt said anything that somehow offended her. That type usually aint much fun to be around.

As for the gaming group, they are blunt military or related types who cycle through tons of different tabletop RPGs. They think I am not participating enough and that’s largely because I am still a novice at this medium of gaming as well as getting discouraged when my voice is either not heard or when my input fizzles out.

@Gerontius is right about this one.

A group that just flies through a bazillion of those just aint gonna work for someone who is not VERY used to tabletop games in general. Not to mention it kinda ruins the point.

You need a group that will, you know, just bloody well stick with one.

New Threads

Top Bottom