• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trying to break my habits

HenleyMae

I have to constantly fidget, which is fine, except that the way I usually end up doing it is by picking at my fingers. I frequently end up with bleeding fingers, which can be a problem at work. People also find it distracting, and I'm sure, gross. This also extends to my toenails, though only at home. I hate how the ends of toenails are soft and bendy, and so usually end up ripping off chunks of my nails. A nail picking session left me with five bloody toes, one of which got infected. I'm at a point where I really want to stop doing this.

The problem is, I get a real compulsion to pick at them. I call the feeling "Claustrophobia" in my fingers and toes, because the skin feels too tight and almost dirty unless I pick at them.

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks to keep me from picking? I tend to start doing it absently. I'm trying keeping my nails painted, and have agreed with a friend that if I can leave everything alone for three weeks to heal, we can go get manicures and pedicures together. But my fingers are feeling "claustrophobic" and I'm having trouble.

Thanks for any ideas.

I bit my fingers way down to the quick just a few hours ago because I got the sensation that the skin felt too tight, or almost uncomfortable not to mess with, if that makes any sense.

I can't offer any help unfortunately, since I'm dealing with it as well, but I'm looking forward to seeing if any recovering nailbiters have anything to say about this one. If I stumble across a good action plan, I might also come back and post it here in case it could be helpful to you or others.

I bit my fingers way down to the quick just a few hours ago because I got the sensation that the skin felt too tight, or almost uncomfortable not to mess with, if that makes any sense.

I can't offer any help unfortunately, since I'm dealing with it as well, but I'm looking forward to seeing if any recovering nailbiters have anything to say about this one. If I stumble across a good action plan, I might also come back and post it here in case it could be helpful to you or others.
I think I am feeling the exact same thing at the moment!

Distraction! Fidget toys, perhaps? There’s so many different types out there.

Covering fingers and toes for awhile until you can break and replace the habit.

Keep all nails very short with nails trimmers.

Wear nail polish and pick that off instead.

New Threads

Top Bottom