• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

True Love?

Butterfly_Lady

Is there such a thing as true love? is there such a thing as soul mate? How do you know you have found the right person? should I miss them like crazy as soon as we part ways? right now, I don't feel like that. it feels more like a friendship to me than anything that could ever become a "happily ever after" ending. the love I feel is not a husband and wife love, it is more of a BFF kind of way and I don't know if that will change again. :unsure: I know he can read this but..........I want advice. I really don't know if I love him in a way that I want to spend the rest of my life with him in an intimate way. from the very first meeting, he said he fell in love with me at first sight and I was annoyed with him from the very first meeting.

Is there truly such a thing as "happily ever after?"

the love I feel is not a husband and wife love, it is more of a BFF kind of way

Have you ever been married? And if not? How can you know how "husband and wife" love feels?

I'm not criticizing you, I'm just curious.

As for advice... I don't know if I can offer a lot.

I was in a 8,5 year relationship in the past and I knew her for over 10 years before we hooked up (she was my childhood friends sister) and it felt really solid and all, but I don't know if I should've called that "forever" at the start, nor halfway or at the seeming end either (before I knew it was going to end). And my relationship now, it doesn't really sound like it's going to last forever either. Maybe that's just me though.

For something to be forever, there has to be a lot of stuff going on that's really, really special. A while ago on this forum someone said "a relationship should add something to your life, not be convenient" (it might have been paraphrased) and I think that it's quite true. Some people end up with a relationship because that's what people do. Not because they have this notion that someone should enhance their life by something else than their presence.

What you might ask yourself is; What do you want out of a relationship? What makes someone more special? What does someone have to do/be for you to think this is someone you want to be with forever.

If you can answer those, you can probably compare this to what you have now and see how close this is. If it's far from it, I suggest you talk to him about it, see if there's things that can change around and if not... be honest with yourself and move along.

King_Oni- no I have never been married. thank you very much for your input. I will definitely take into consideration your input to search my feelings to know what it is that I really want out of a relationship.

It might help to remember that even when people do fall in love, the initial "in love" feeling is temporary. It lasts usually two years, more or less. After that time, some couples break up or are unhappy. Others, however, have bonded and still feel emotional love for each other, but in a different (maybe deeper) way.

Of course, it is your job to search your feelings.

Also, friendship feelings can be very varied. (which makes it hard for me to know what you mean when you say "feels like a friendship). For instance, I have felt different feelings about different friends. Some were just people I was willing to hang out with. A few others-such as my current in-person friend (sadly my only remaining friend) and a little boy I used to care for, have been persons for whom I felt deep warmth love, tenderness, and affection. Enough affection that I could have been happy with spending the rest of my life with that person if it had been a possibility. (I really hope if my friend ever ends up on here, he doesn't misunderstand that! Don't worry, friend...I'm really happy with friendship! The important thing is that you are in my life and if it's a friendship context-that works really well!) Pardon that digression. That was for (my) safety's sake. (Don't want to be causing confusion to the people in my own life)

Maybe the correct question isn't What sort of feelings do you have...Maybe the better question is: Are the sort of feelings you do have, feelings that would allow you to be happy with such a person in a husband context?

Missing a person like crazy, thinking of them every second, getting misty-eyed & dreamy is more a function of complex endocrinology than anything else. These fuzzy feelings are no more indicators of the potential longevity of a relationship or marriage than the barometric pressure of the atmosphere is! Sometimes a couple can start off on fire, hanging all over each other, barely spending any time apart & spending most of their together time in a horizontal position only to rush off, get married & want to kill each other.

As someone very much married (kids, a house, dogs...retirement plans...the whole kit & caboodle!) I can say that bff feelings can make for the very best long-term relationship because when the hormonal flare wears off, IF the relationship is a good one (reasonably meets the needs of both partners the vast majority of the time), that bff feeling is what is left & what abides over the years. That crushy mushy stuff that many mistake for love is a chemical reaction much like what people get from taking certain drugs! As with the drugs, the effect wears off. Then what? Some people get almost addicted to that 'honeymoon phase' & the sensation of novelty. When it wears off, they run off to the next partner. Serial adulterers are like this. They get bored of the wife (or husband- it happens to women too), fool around with the secretary, get tired of her, then its off with the receptionist, some waitress, a colleague...it doesn't stop.

Like many young women with little experience, I can sense some Walt Disney-esque thinking in your post. Happily ever after doesn't happen: LIFE happens. All kinds of $#!T will happen that will strain your marriage. Good things will happen too. The strength of your relationship will be measured by how well you cope as a couple through the tough times. It is easy to get along with a spouse when all is well BUT when the kids have been up puking all night, the car is on the fritz, the mortgage payment, school fees AND taxes are due, your boss is an @$$ & the dog has the runs...well....not so much!

Plus, people change as they get older & the guy you knew back when you were crazy 19 year olds is NOT the 40 yr old possibly heavier & balder guy sitting with his feet up watching tv. YOU will change with maturity, time & age too. You might look the same on the outside & still be attractive BUT life's experiences & demands cause change. That is not a bad thing but if all a couple has are endorphins & dopamine, they'll soon become an addition to the divorce statistics.

The bible belt of the USA boasts the highest divorce rate in the entire country: by a long-shot at that! One of the reasons is kids who have been spoon-fed crap about the 'magic' of virginity & the wedding night (2 inexperienced, shamed, frightened people who hardly know each other fumbling in the dark). Another is that the poor girls have been fed load of crap about how 'a first kiss at the altar unlocks everything' (like what?!? What was locked besides the minds of both parties?). They have been taught to believe that there is one person on the entire planet that is 'destined' to be their 'true love' & 'soul mate'. That is movie talk: not reality. People taught to think in this manner are bound to be disappointed by the reality of any relationship they get into no matter who the guy or woman is. Who can live up to such hype?

That does NOT mean that one should 'settle' for a relationship that is unsatisfying & unhappy. If a person can't wait for their partner to leave & cringe whenever he or she calls or visits, that is a red flag. Massive age differences can be problematic: there's a big generation/maturity & experience gap. Cultural differences that cannot be resolved or compromised on are red flags. A person who is too distant & indifferent or too demanding of constant attention or clingy is a red flag. Someone who either idealizes or demonizes you is a red flag: that person is seeing something in their own mind: not you as a real person. If you feel like you are on an emotional roller-coaster with a person, that is a red flag. some people thrive for a while in an up/down, hot/cold relationship. It grows tiresome quickly & can be exhausting.

Beware that life problems can make it seem like EVERYTHING is wrong: including a relationship that really isn't wrong at all. When being assailed on all sides, it is easy to think everything & everyone is a problem. My NT mother calls this 'throwing out the baby with the bathwater' (an expression that is kind of disturbing!). Think long & hard before making fateful decisions: especially when stressed by heaps of other problems. When feeling stressed out it is easy to make regrettable decisions.

I hope this counts as advice or is helpful in some way...

I agree hardship can cause problems but in it those who really care stick around it is how I learned my best friends were true and not fair weather.
I am glad we are cementing our relationship as best friends first we are both happier for it!

There is such a thing as True Love, and what you describe does not sound like it. Love is not casual, but wonderful.

@ Butterflylady: I'm glad it was useful to you!

@ Ste11aeres: My analysis of divorce was not a general comment about the entire south; it refered to a specific demographic in the bible belt with sweeps across a large area. Many of those who are spearheading the purity (purity balls) movement are not poor but middle class to affluent. The Virgin Daughters | Watch Free Documentary Online Please watch this documentary. There are others like it & a few made from people who left the movement. Something off-colour & sickly is going on here. Poverty is epidemic in the north as well what with the tanked US economy. Detroit is in deep trouble & so are many other northern cities & towns.

As for a bias against the south of the USA in particular, the north of the USA is not my homeland either. I am Qu?becoise from a very diverse ethnic background. As a QCer, the rest of Canada often seems very foreign to me despite the fact that QC is a Canadian province (on paper). We speak & live in French. As such, I feel more at home thousands of miles away in Paris, Lyons & Strasbourg than I do an hour away in Ottawa or an hour away on Plattsburgh, NY! Quebec is a Catholic place wherein the church dominated society for centuries right up into the 60s. As with France & Italy, despite the church's disapproval, birth control usage & divorce are commonplace. The difference is that most Catholics in the places I listed are quite secular & are not fundamentalists (or ultra orthodox) any more. Church scandals have alienated many people & many resent the misogyny & double standards (& accumulated wealth) held by the church. In the bible belt, Fundamentalism holds people in a sort of thrall that is almost cult-like & their entire lives centre around their church, church activities, Christian schools or home schooling & they get little to no input from any other source of information. This myopic vision is no longer seen in European Catholic countries. A few South American Catholic countries still are deeply devout but even in these places, people are beginning to push back. Vocal women's groups are demanding change as are sex abuse survivors' advocacy groups.

Please watch the documentary I linked & you'll see some of what was behind my post. Hope it clears things up!

Actually, after sleeping on it, I dislike my post not yours. I think I'm going to ask someone to delete it so that I can re-write it. I feel that what I wrote, as it stands, could be offensive to some.
There are many factors to the question. One of these factors relating to the religious aspect is...in any place, persons who are irreligious (whether nominally connected with a religious tradition or actually agnostic/atheistic) are more likely to be comfortable with sexual relations outside marriage, while persons who are religious believe sexual actions are reserved for marriage. As a result, religious persons marry more often than irreligious persons, (irreligious persons includes many not-so-devout Catholics) (who may sometimes simply live together instead). For obvious reasons, those who live together outside of marriage don't contribute to a divorce rate. In the "Bible Belt" almost all religious persons belong to denominations that acknowledge divorce. In other parts of the USA, many genuinely religious persons may belong to the Catholic Church, which does not recognize divorce. (although separation is allowed for sufficient reason.) As a result, a genuinely religious population in the Bible Belt may have a higher rate of divorcees than the population of genuinely religious persons in other areas of the United States. And, as suggested before, the less-religious persons don't get divorced so often because they don't get married so often, or get married comparatively late.

@ Butterflylady:
As for a bias against the south of the USA in particular, the north of the USA is not my homeland either.
Actually, that remark was referring to a fear that I was being influenced by Northern prejudice. (I sort of regret writing that post, actually.) I know you are Quebecoise :) There was a slight defensiveness in my post which was actually the unfortunate result of a a knee-jerk feeling of defensiveness about you not being from the USA and writing about things in the US.
As I said, i dislike my own post now, not yours. :redface:

@ Butterflylady: In January, you kicked serious @$$! BRAVA! You showed many how it is done! I was impressed by how well you handled a challenging situation many experienced grown women would've found difficult.

I scraped the sides of my brain & came up with more thoughts that I hope you find semi-useful. If not, feel free to tell me it is cockamamie & disregard it completely! Being a girlfriend is not the same as being a wife which is not the same as being a mother. Years ago (when the dinosaurs roamed the earth) when I was taking some psych courses at University, we looked at some fascinating studies on the subject. Guys in their 20s were asked to describe what a girlfriend was, what they expected her t be like, what activities/events etc. they expected to do with a girlfriend. They were then asked the same things about the term wife & the term mother. Now, common sense tells us that we are discussing the same person: the girlfriend gets married & becomes a wife who later becomes a mother. That is how the social text goes (modernity often dictates otherwise, though!). The differences between their descriptions were shocking! You would believe that girlfriend & mother were 2 entirely different human beings! These differences in expectations also go both ways, but the differences were not as striking as young women described 'boyfriend' and 'husband'.

Knowing what a potential spouse means when he or she talks marriage is vital. Some guys expect that free-wheeling fun & care-free girlfriend to morph into a 50s style housewife: servile, submissive, subservient with HIM firmly seated as the 'head of the household' or 'man of the house'. Some women expect their hapless semi-goofy boyfriend who is obsessed with watching football with hid buddies to instantly settle down & become much like a father figure in an old-time tv sitcom. Modern young women may expect this poor clueless guy to suddenly become a confidante, best-friend soul-mate figure! That is a tall order!

Planning a wedding is easy: consider your budget, buy or make or borrow a dress, he rents or buys a suit or tux or whatever, get a cake, blah blah blah. Any moron can get married! Being a wife or a husband is an entirely different matter! Not everyone can fulfill the duties (shifting & changing & often culturally/socially nuanced) these roles demand. It is the difference between making a baby & being a parent! Anyone with functioning equipment can make a baby. Parenting is an entirely different matter (thus the proliferation of crappy parents out there!). What do you expect a husband to do & be like? Can the guy you have in mind measure up? Are those expectations realistic & sensible? For instance, if you expect your husband to provide for you financially & you expect to live in a house in the suburbs where your kids play soccer in the park, can he do that? If the guy has a job that keeps him away for months on end, how will you cope? If he is broke, how will you cope? Excessive financial hardships can kill a marriage faster than the Ebola virus can. If he expects you to stay at home & cook, clean & have babies but you expect to work outside the home daily & have a stellar career, how will that effect the marriage: is he flexible enough to accommodate your career? Communicating with the other potential spouse candidate about these roles & expectations is as important as communicating with yourself about what you truly believe, hope for & expect.

@ Stellaeres: A very interesting post! I doubt anyone was offended by anything you said earlier: I didn't see anything wrong with it. As for Atheists having lower marriage rates, I wonder if that is universally true, a local phenomenon or what. Here in Catholic Qu?bec, marriage rates amongst Catholics are at an all-time low with most French Canadians choosing to live together 'common law'. In Canada, common law couples have the same rights as married ones do. Many here on QC, where the economy is also sagging, see a wedding as an unnecessary expense. Many also see marriage as an antiquated institution that is a relic from the past. The power the church had here in QC cannot be understated. The younger generation knows what their parents & grandparents lived through & do not want anything to do with religious oppression & control. Another French phenomenon is that, by law, married women retain their maiden names (since 1971). Most people have hyphenated names & in some couples, one child has the mother's last name, another a hyphenated combo & the third has the father's last name!

I can see how in the USA, things are so different to the way they are here. It is always interesting for me to hear from others living in different social/cultural contexts about what life is like where they reside.

I hope you never forget how proud of you I am about that situation! If that happened to me and it did in the past I was so upset I went
into a long deep depression and I gave up on love for a long time. I pray I was an important part of that.
I have no doubt in my heart if the situation was reversed you would have been there for me.

@ Butterflylady: In January, you kicked serious @$$! BRAVA! You showed many how it is done! I was impressed by how well you handled a challenging situation many experienced grown women would've found difficult.
Thank you again my aspie mom :love: looking back, I am proud of myself for January. I have no idea where I got that strength from but a large part of it was probably from your wonderful motherly encouragement!!

New Threads

Top Bottom