• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trolling

I've been the target of online trolling ever since I first started posting on forums (particularly US based wrestling forums) and some International gaming forums.

Hence I'm banned for life from most of the major ones (including Sheffield Forum) for biting back at trolls, usually on there it was Daily Mail readers who have an axe to grind against people on benefits.

Yes I understand your point about harmless humour

The real issue is not in the troll response

It's in my reply

I said my disabled child is on the page and THAT'S why I need ADVICE to make it PRIVATE.

if my Facebook page was harmless fun and my child's photos were not on it, I would have took the joke as hilarious, because IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FUNNY IN THAT CONTEXT

here's the reason why I was seriously asking advice to make it private
It is a "public page" kind of page, right? Or is it another Facebook profile?

If it's a "page", your only option is to remove it all, honestly.

If it's a profile you made, you can go to "Settings" in the upper right and then navigate to "Privacy". You can't make it completely invisible but if you also set all their photos to viewable by "only me" then it should be fairly private.

I've been the target of online trolling ever since I first started posting on forums (particularly US based wrestling forums) and some International gaming forums.

Hence I'm banned for life from most of the major ones (including Sheffield Forum) for biting back at trolls, usually on there it was Daily Mail readers who have an axe to grind against people on benefits.

The "call the fb police" comment? Is that really trolling though? Seems like the person is just trying to be funny.

Also, I wouldn't put pictures of a child on the internet if I were you (too many screwed up people here), but if you're sure you want that page up, see:

On the subject of trolling, I'm not a fan of it, and I mean actual trolling, not just playful banter or opposing opinions (which some people do see as trolling, lol, go to any Facebook thread and you will see people complaining about all the trolls trolling by having bad opinions, and they're probably also bots, or paid by some foreign government, because why else would they have those opinions, anyway.. :tearsofjoy:). I mean trolling like actually just going out of your way to be an ass to people. I don't see the point in it, and there is enough negativity in the world as is.

Thanks for the info.

i just avoid places where there is trolling, i consider trolls an inferior species, if they pop up, i leave, i don't share (cyber)space with scum

One important thing to know: nothing you put on the Internet is truly private. Once a picture is uploaded to the Internet it is there to stay and people with know-how can find it. Anything you want to keep a secret should not be put on the Internet.

If you do decide to use Facebook for photos of your child be sure and stay up to date on the privacy policy. It gets updated all the time and things which used to be private can become public information. Our personal information is worth a lot of money to marketers. They love getting paid for selling information about us without us realizing it.

One important thing to know: nothing you put on the Internet is truly private. Once a picture is uploaded to the Internet it is there to stay and people with know-how can find it. Anything you want to keep a secret should not be put on the Internet.

If you do decide to use Facebook for photos of your child be sure and stay up to date on the privacy policy. It gets updated all the time and things which used to be private can become public information. Our personal information is worth a lot of money to marketers. They love getting paid for selling information about us without us realizing it.

Thanks SO MUCH for caring enough to post that.

I really have an issue with Internet Trolling, even in it's so-called 'mildest form'

It REALLY riles me!

See attached example....
Hi.
I can speak as someone who has both been trolled and (self-confessed) has been a troll. When I trolled, I didn't do it with the intent to offend or upset people, I just did it for fun.
However, I have also experienced some less-than polite people on the Internet themselves. If you are having trouble with internet trolls, please do at least one of these things:
1. Email, comment to or message the troll/s expressing your concerns and ask them politely to stop bothering you. Express that you are upset and that, if they do not stop posting nasty or bothersome stuff about you or to you, you will contact the people in charge of the site.
2. If the troll continues to bother and/or upset you, contact the people in charge of the site. Politely express your concern.
3. Keep reporting their abusive and/or bothersome content.
4. Try the silent treatment. Don't respond to the troll, don't feed the trolls. Instead, talk to someone whom you know, love and trust such as a parent, guardian or even a close sibling. You could also still contact the people in charge of the site, if you haven't done so for a while.
Best of luck.

Keep in mind as well, with Facebook specifically, you can block people. They will not be able to see your posts & you cannot see their posts. It's an effective way to deal with it & I have used it in the past.

Keep in mind as well, with Facebook specifically, you can block people. They will not be able to see your posts & you cannot see their posts. It's an effective way to deal with it & I have used it in the past.

My block list on Facebook is almost as big as my friend list.

Someone starts, I block and/or report them, usually both.

Personally, I don't think trolls are all that bad:
Trollify Yourself - Profile-1.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom