• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trains

5800km+(Not counting return) during an odd job from Brisbane to Perth I was granted permission to operate the VR S series. The trip was an utter drag from period I was permitted to operate, we had to pass through the NSW metro system, Victoria, South Australia and eventually entered the depot at Perth. The number of line closures and work arounds we had to implement meant the trip dragged on for a week. The age and disrepair of the loco didn't help but fortunately it was only a transfer of rolling so we never stalled. Suffice to say I was quite glad to depart the loco on the Belair loop in SA.

Watch this in its entirety, and thank me later. It's a beautiful film. These men go on an incredible, somewhat illegal journey. The vistas are breathtaking, and I like that there's not a lot of dialogue.

This is one of the more interesting trains I have been on. It's the Legoland train in Denmark. :) It's a little silly. It's not very fast, I can outrun it on foot. But the scenery is nice.

train.jpg train2.jpg

Last edited:
Traveled from San Antonio, TX to Atlanta, Georgia in 1954 when I was three years old. I still remember it and have remained a railfan all these years. I watch train videos on you tube and my favorite channel is Jawtooth.

I lived in China over 40 years ago as a graduate student at Beijing University. The general population needed a permit to travel even small distances, but as a student, I was issued a permit to travel almost anywhere in the country. I would travel mostly by train and a majority of them were steam locomotives. Seeing one of these behemoths chugging into the station was an amazing sight. Steam, smoke, noise.

The amazing part was that these steam locomotives were not ancient relics, they were BRAND NEW. They were still producing them in the early 80's and I once visited the factory.

I lived in China over 40 years ago as a graduate student at Beijing University. The general population needed a permit to travel even small distances, but as a student, I was issued a permit to travel almost anywhere in the country. I would travel mostly by train and a majority of them were steam locomotives. Seeing one of these behemoths chugging into the station was an amazing sight. Steam, smoke, noise.

The amazing part was that these steam locomotives were not ancient relics, they were BRAND NEW. They were still producing them in the early 80's and I once visited the factory.
Even mid century steam was efficient and immensely powerful. Look at this Mesabi Range engine capable of pulling multiple miles of iron ore hopper cars. I believe the configuration is 4-8-8-2.
9k=(10).jpg

Last edited:
The New Mexico Rail Runner features a stylized road runner on the engine.

It's a primarily commuter train, covering the ~65 miles between Albuquerque and Santa Fe (NM) in about 1.5 hours, with several stops along the way.

It is currently $2.50 (!!) for a round-trip, making for a fun and very inexpensive day trip from either city.

202210R05.jpg

In Albuquerque, the main stop is downtown, at the Alvarado transit centre, a few blocks south of the Convention Center.

In Santa Fe, its terminus is Santa Fe Depot, not far from the old town, and in the heart of Santa Fe's Railway Arts District, with many galleries and some street vendors as well.

If arriving from Albuquerque, the following mural greets you on the left side as your train pulls into the depot.

202210R03.jpg

For the train enthusiast, a few steps to the south takes you to Violet Crown, a movie theater.
But why would I suggest a theater? Not because of any of the movies on offer, but because they have a bar (located before the movie entrance) where the big decor item hanging above the bar itself is an old Santa Fe Railway boxcar.
202210R04.jpg

As a bonus, the washrooms have copies of old rail network maps as decor (sorry, no photos as there were people there).

Our little trains.

The diesel "helper" has a nickname, Giacu Pistafum, literally Jack stomping the smoke, but also someone who like being loud and angry for nothing

Last edited:
We did the Swanage steam railway a couple of times.

Another time the Paignton to Kingswear steam train in Devon.

After Kinswear you get a river boat included across the river Dart to visit Dartmouth.

Unfortunately I can't find the tablet that has the photos at the moment but I found on my current tablet photos of the little Seaton tramway that we've visited a couple of times.

Seaton is also South Devon.
20221023_203416.jpg
20221023_203340.jpg

That is nice. A little excursion then a pub. When I worked in Amersham for a while, I enjoyed the pubs in the UK. I think the founders of Amersham (Nuclear pharmaceuticals) were quite the publicans as the White Horse was at the corner of the property.

When I was about 10 or 11 I was just old enough to realise how old my great grandmother was. I said to her "Gran, you were born in 1880." and she said "That's right.".

I said "You saw the first steam train." and she replied "We rode on it!" and she told me a story about how her father took the family to Edinburgh to see the train. There was 6 miles of track. Her father didn't have much money and they could only afford one way tickets and they had to walk the 6 miles back.

New Threads

Top Bottom