• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tradespeople?

Im a gardener if that counts? We do light and heavy grounds maintenance work, have a long wheel base van and a load of machinery, so I think it counts as tradesmanship :) I love it

Exactly. I believe it is an outdated idea, that to be successful you need a college degree and a white collar job. I see nothing wrong with being a blue collar worker as long as you have a plan and understand that many trades are extremely physically demanding. I'm 17 years old I'm aware that at 27,37,47,57 and beyond that I will have evolve my career. My uncle is 50 years old, he has worked in the same industry since he was my age, but now instead of being just another worker he owns and manages his own company. My plan is to Move up through the industry.
That seems like a solid plan. After kicking IT to the curb and watching my investments dry up, I chose a career in driving because I knew it would be something I will be capable of doing later into life.

I'm apprenticing in IT with a focus in engineering; working towards my associates in info tech at the same time. I love it and it is totally necessary in this generation. :)

I'm apprenticing in IT with a focus in engineering; working towards my associates in info tech at the same time. I love it and it is totally necessary in this generation. :)
I wish you all of the best with it. I hope it goes better for you than it did for me.

For almost all my working life I have been a technician type. Early I was an auto mechanic. I loved the work but I had severe problems dealing with customers. I studied electronics and went into industrial technology where my understanding of machines and electronics was much appreciated. I was good enough that supervisors generally overlooked my quirks and allowed me to do what I did best. I gained some ambition and tried to step up to a more technical level - an electronic technician in a factory. The position put a spotlight on me and soon the management saw I was "different". I was eventually removed from the job. I took another high profile job where I was working with robots There my "problems" kept me unable to do the job the management expected. I loved the work but my honesty got in my way. -- When production supervisors ask how long their robot will be non-operational they don't want to hear "I don't know yet"--- eventually I got fired--- I was fired from my next job after being caught "stimming" after a frustrating interaction with a coworker.

The whole point is that the work is not the problem...the problem is the people and an inherent lack of understanding. If I had known of my ASD before all this happened, I would have discussed it with employers and my experiences would have been different.

For almost all my working life I have been a technician type. Early I was an auto mechanic. I loved the work but I had severe problems dealing with customers. I studied electronics and went into industrial technology where my understanding of machines and electronics was much appreciated. I was good enough that supervisors generally overlooked my quirks and allowed me to do what I did best. I gained some ambition and tried to step up to a more technical level - an electronic technician in a factory. The position put a spotlight on me and soon the management saw I was "different". I was eventually removed from the job. I took another high profile job where I was working with robots There my "problems" kept me unable to do the job the management expected. I loved the work but my honesty got in my way. -- When production supervisors ask how long their robot will be non-operational they don't want to hear "I don't know yet"--- eventually I got fired--- I was fired from my next job after being caught "stimming" after a frustrating interaction with a coworker.

The whole point is that the work is not the problem...the problem is the people and an inherent lack of understanding. If I had known of my ASD before all this happened, I would have discussed it with employers and my experiences would have been different.
That's right! The problem is people. Sometimes I think I am becoming misanthropic.

The thing that put me off studying either at college (and that is the route you have to take here, either part time as part of an apprenticeship, or full time), was that the courses are always dominated by young, rather domineering men and I just didn't feel comfortable.

I have this problem in one my classes... I'm studying horticulture as I've always loved gardening and decided to get qualified so I could get a job doing what I love. In one of the classes I'm doing we have a group of lads from the same landscaping company who are doing their training... and they are lazy, inattentive, and constantly joking around while the others in the class - two older men and two women, myself included - do most of the work. They are intimidating and their conversation is sometimes sexist and usually inappropriate. I'm trying to figure out what to say to them next time to get the message across that it's not ok to behave like that when we're all working in the gardens. There are only three more classes left with them but still, we shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable. Maybe I should talk to my lecturer about it.

So anyway, does horticulture count as a trade?

Interesting bunch of folks here. Thanks all, for the discussion.

The 'downgrade' issue is one that hits a nerve. I had a stellar career in academia in the social sciences, but took time out to have my children and never went back. I fully agree that fulfilling one's needs is better than doing what is expected. I love getting dirty, the heavy labour and learning all about the science behind heavy vehicles. Still, it is not a careeer choice that garners the (superficial) respect academia does. I come home thrilled when I learn a new skill.

I am also interested in learning that some of you lost jobs. I can see how so many ADSers would easily be edged out of masculine work environments. Only the talented would be tolerated and excused their quirks. I often feel I have to prove myself three-fold: my gender, age and ASD. The pressure gets to me to fit in.

The one thing I loathe - EARTH ON MY HANDS! I cannot cope with touching dirt. Bleugh. I cringe when I get services on heavily dirt ladden trucks. o_O

Well, again, thanks!

Was basically a tradesperson in the military, 20 years electronics technician primarily radar systems, and another 7 as civilian DOD doing same. But by default you have to learn the support equipment cause your at a remote site often and the nearest base is hundred's of miles away.

That was one reason I chose my field because it said in job description you operate maintain and wide range of additional stuff, like generators, radios, lifts, computers, etc.

I liked the work often being solitary, and that you always could find something to do and keep busy with.

But my way of learning and understanding electronics was definately different from the norm. You often did work with another tech, and in fact had to on live equipment and in other situations.

I found a good NT/AS pairing made for a very effective troubleshooting team - possibly the best.

I guess you could say I'm a tradesperson. Right now I drive a bus for a living. I have my Class A CDL

1572f437ab9291c7e13d2fbc91522e3e.jpg

I'll 'ave you Butler!

You'd have to have been around in the UK in the early to mid 70s to get that joke, the bloke in the picture died a fee months back, played Inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake in On The Buses, a British comedy from 1970 to 1975 I think, Stephen Lewis also played Smiler in Last of the Summer Wine.

I'll 'ave you Butler!

You'd have to have been around in the UK in the early to mid 70s to get that joke, the bloke in the picture died a fee months back, played Inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake in On The Buses, a British comedy from 1970 to 1975 I think, Stephen Lewis also played Smiler in Last of the Summer Wine.

Bahahaha! Classic show.

I'll 'ave you Butler!

Alas I am a bloody yankee just born in 1977.

I turn wrenches for a living as lawn and garden technican for a very large John Deere dealership. I have enjoyed working on and restoring lawn and garden power equipment since I was a young boy. Its an obsession only second to my love of trains. I was able to take that obession and turn it into a profession to make money. Mike

I develop and prototype interactive museum exhibits, which uses all of the knowledge, skills and talents I've managed to accumulate through my interests. Science, art, woodworking, metalworking, machining, design, electronic controls.

It has been a round-about career, and not very rewarding financially, but I've done my best given my limitations.

I develop and prototype interactive museum exhibits, which uses all of the knowledge, skills and talents I've managed to accumulate through my interests. Science, art, woodworking, metalworking, machining, design, electronic controls.

It has been a round-about career, and not very rewarding financially, but I've done my best given my limitations.

That's some really cool stuff! Alas, I've never figured out how to make my obsessions and interests earn me so much as a wooden nickel. My interests are esoteric to the point that most folks just plain don't give a damn. The fact that you are at least able to do what you do is nothing to shake a stick it.

That's some really cool stuff! Alas, I've never figured out how to make my obsessions and interests earn me so much as a wooden nickel. My interests are esoteric to the point that most folks just plain don't give a damn. The fact that you are at least able to do what you do is nothing to shake a stick it.
I hear that. I'm lucky, my career was routed in an interest in IT. In true teenage arrogance I said I wanted to learn IT networking because it was the piece of the puzzle I didn't understand.

It's turned out really well, but my mind keeps telling me to move on and learn something else I'm interested in but it doesn't make much financial sense.

There's still loads to learn in what I do, I'm learning every day which is good, it keeps me sharp.

I hear that. I'm lucky, my career was routed in an interest in IT. In true teenage arrogance I said I wanted to learn IT networking because it was the piece of the puzzle I didn't understand.

It's turned out really well, but my mind keeps telling me to move on and learn something else I'm interested in but it doesn't make much financial sense.

There's still loads to learn in what I do, I'm learning every day which is good, it keeps me sharp.
My esoteric interests were the mechanics behind computer networking and the internet using OpenBSD. I really wanted the lowest level examination.

My esoteric interests were the mechanics behind computer networking and the internet using OpenBSD. I really wanted the lowest level examination.
Computer science is something I have a keen interest in too, I'd love to go to uni and learn it - unfortunately I left school with few academic qualifications so I've not much hope of doing this.

The internet has changed a lot since its inception. But the key fundamentals are still there.

New Threads

Top Bottom