• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Toothbrushing

Do any of these apply to you? Tick off any/all that apply to you:

• I do not have trouble with any aspect of brushing my teeth.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I do have trouble with one or more aspects of brushing my teeth.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • It is hard for me to remember to brush my teeth.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Brushing my teeth is tedious/boring.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Brushing my teeth is unpleasant/upsetting/awful/torturous.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I enjoy brushing my teeth.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have sensory issues with toothpaste (texture, burning/tingling/numbing, taste, smell)

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I have sensory issues with the toothbrush (feeling in mouth/hands, look/sound/taste/smell of brush)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I have motor coordination issues that make toothbrushing difficult.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other important thing you should've put here, tortoise (would you be willing to explain in a post?)

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

the_tortoise

V.I.P Member
I thought I would make a thread about toothbrushing. There is a poll, but I also thought we could share our experiences of toothbrushing and offer any tips or solutions we've found to deal with difficulties related to brushing our teeth.

I am forgetful about brushing my teeth, and I find it extremely boring .....but then I spend minimum of 5 minutes brushing my teeth, usually longer.

To deal with the soul-crushing boredom, I do other things while brushing my teeth -- reading or watching video while I brush is the easiest (and least likely to result in putting down the toothbrush and forgetting all about it partway through).

Speaking of forgetful....I meant ot mention when I first wrote this that to deal with the forgetfulness aspect, I try to always brush first thing in the morning after I get up, so I at least brush once per day.

I don't like most toothpaste. The taste and smell have never been big issues for me, but I don't usually like them -- the nasty chemical-smell and lingering chemical aftertaste are very unpleasant.

Also SLS and a couple of the other detergents that are added to toothpaste instead of SLS (for cleansing properties and/or as foaming agents) cause my mouth to burn like fire .....if I use toothpastes with these detergents too often or they are in contact with my mouth for too long it makes the mucosal tissue in my mouth peel off in sheets.

The 2 toothpastes (one is technically a tooth gel ) that I tried that are free of detergents and fluoride actually tasted quite nice to me. (Kiss My Face "Berry Smart" fluoride-free toothpaste and Spry tooth gel in banana strawberry and original/unflavored --the toothpaste was quite gritty but it tasted good.) So if you can't stand the taste of regular toothpastes, one idea is to try to find one that has no detergents and/or no fluoride and see if it's any better.

Another idea is to try children's toothpaste -- I have always found children's toothpaste better tasting than regular/adult toothpastes, and there is usually a wider variety of flavorings than just mint. Children tend to have much more sensitive taste than adults (and be less able to tolerate bad tastes and weird tingly/burning mouth sensations) so manufacturer's put in more effort at making kids' toothpaste less terrible.

Another idea is to just not use any toothpaste. It's mostly the toothbrush bristles that removes plaque, not the toothpaste. I almost never use any toothpaste when I brush my teeth, because for a while I couldn't find any toothpaste I could tolerate, and during that time I discovered that when I don't use toothpaste my teeth end up cleaner. (I sometimes use remineralizing toothpaste/tooth gel as a sort of mouth rinse afterwards, but that is just me.)

If you want extra abrasives to help scrub plaque off, baking soda is one possible alternative. You could also try a little tiny bit of calcium carbonate powder mixed with water or coconut oil (calcium carbonate just tastes like chalk....because it is chalk) but you'd want to be careful about using too much, I think, to avoid damaging your enamel. (Too much toothpaste can also damage the enamal -- calcium carbonate is actually a common abrasive in toothpaste.)

If you have motor coordination issues and can tolerate the noise (and -- forgot this, too -- the vibration), I suggest trying an electric toothbrush. I got an electric toothbrush so I could clean my wisdom teeth better (not because of motor coordination issues), but it is a lot less fiddly to use than a regular one because you don't have to make brushing motions as the same time as you keep the toothbrush at the right position/angle.

Last edited:
Darn it, can any of the staff please fix my failed attempt at using bbcode (specifically I would like to remove the "[ b ]" and "[ / b ]" ) in the poll options? (If that is possible?)

Ugh, freaking tooth brushing.

I can tolerate it, but I have so much trouble motivating myself to do it. Negative motivation (the stick vs. the carrot) is pretty much the only motivation there is to do it (cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, etc). Problem is, negative motivation doesn't work on me because I'm probably pathologically incapable of connecting actions (or inactions) with their consequences.

The only thing that motivates me to brush is when I can positively motivate myself with the prospect of how much better a clean mouth feels. Wish there was some other incentive, like if the toothpaste tasted ridiculously good or something.

Thankfully I have no issues with brushing, and have very healthy teeth. My son on the other hand, hates it and also has poor motor skills, so its a challenge to keep his teeth clean. We keep at it though, because the only way he could go to a dentist for tooth repair would be to sedate him.

Your teeth and mouth health is very related to the health of your body, and I believe that brushing is very important for everyone.

Sensory issues or not... I have to have a clean mouth and body.

I'm not saying I love brushing my teeth or taking showers (sometimes 3 a day)... Cleanliness is just a thing with me, and being honest someone's bad breath, or BO makes me feel sick... I don't want to ever be that person, so I deal with things and move on. : )

As far as toothpaste I like stuff that isn't overpowering... Tom's of maine (I think that is what its called) I order it 3 tubes at a time from Amazon... Its mild and my teeth squeak when I rub my fingers on them...
Flossing... I don't deal to well with that ( I know I am suppose to do it, but it sucks).
I do have a water pik and high hurts! Low is okay.

Not my favorite thing, but just a part of LIFE that needs dealing with like cutting fingernails and toenails... I cant stand for the white part to show... so I cut my nails really often or I will chew on my finger nails. : )

When I was a kid I tried to avoid brushing my teeth as much as possible. Now I'm ok as long as I have a very soft toothbrush. Flossing , however, is a huge problem. Sometimes I just can't get coordinated enough to do it so it is an on again, off again not-quite-a habit.

Personally I can't stand clutter in my bathroom so I won't leave any items I have to use out on display as a prompt to use them.

I have all I would need to use in a toiletry bag and pick it up and carry it into the bathroom with me.

If I don't use an item in my bag then I've forgotten to complete a task.
(Unpack it and lay out items, put into bag after use - can't forget)

I don't like the feel of a toothbrush on my gums and can tend to get a bit enthusiastic without realising (apply too much pressure)
An electric toothbrush feels softer and I don't get carried away by an up and down motion.

I don't use a mirror to brush my teeth, they've been in the same place for nearly fifty years, I know where they all are.

(That statement is ridiculous, I use a toothbrush to brush my teeth, not a mirror ...ouch ! :) )

... I've lost my train of thought !
Will resume later.

Personally I can't stand clutter in my bathroom so I won't leave any items I have to use out on display as a prompt to use them.

I have all I would need to use in a toiletry bag and pick it up and carry it into the bathroom with me.

I don't like the feel of a toothbrush on my gums and can tend to get a bit enthusiastic without realising (apply too much pressure)
An electric toothbrush feels softer and I don't get carried away by an up and down motion.

I don't use a mirror to brush my teeth, they've been in the same place for nearly fifty years, I know where they all are.

(That statement is ridiculous, I use a toothbrush to brush my teeth, not a mirror ...ouch ! :) )

... I've lost my train of thought !
Will resume later.

I love it... a little OCD maybe... but its cool! I hate clutter anywhere... But I have never went quite that far... YET... : )

Hate brushing my teeth, it absolutely wakes me up before I go to sleep. I use green beaver toothpaste, that tastes like cilantro/mint and it doesn't burn the inside of my mouth. Have to online order it, and have three tubes in a drawer in case the company discontinues it.

I approach toothbrushing the same way as cleaning anything, as quickly as possible to get it over with. Don't find it pleasant or enjoyable, but necessary.

I brush my teeth too much. Like way too many times a day. Every time after I eat, after I smoke, after i wake up (which means several times a night), after not brushing for too long, several times before I go anywhere. I have to carry toothpaste & brush with me. It's not that I have tooth decay or anything, I just like my mouth to be clean. I know it's a little crazy, people comment on it all the time. Jeez...I really have problems

P.S. Toothpaste that tastes like cilantro? I always thought cilantro smelled like some insect's defense mechanism & won't eat anything with it. A lot of people seem indifferent to it but I can't go anywhere near it

The routine of tooth brushing never bothered me. Though the routine of flossing always bothers me.

Ugh, freaking tooth brushing.

I can tolerate it, but I have so much trouble motivating myself to do it. Negative motivation (the stick vs. the carrot) is pretty much the only motivation there is to do it (cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, etc). Problem is, negative motivation doesn't work on me because I'm probably pathologically incapable of connecting actions (or inactions) with their consequences.

The only thing that motivates me to brush is when I can positively motivate myself with the prospect of how much better a clean mouth feels. Wish there was some other incentive, like if the toothpaste tasted ridiculously good or something.

Negative motivation is weak for me as well (it does work, in my case, but not to the same degree as I see it work for other people), but in my case it's because consequences are so far away -- I am kind of stuck in the moment.

There is a company called Splat that makes an ice cream and a chocolate flavored toothpaste -- I haven't tried either yet myself but I intend to (budgeting issue related to shipping costs and minimum orders, it's not sold anywhere in Canada that I'm aware of -- it is in Europe and the UK, not sure about the US). They do a lot of other flavors but those are the ones that interest me.

Tom's of Maine makes a strawberry flavored kids toothpaste that I thought was good (best-tasting toothpaste I'd ever had, at the time).

I actually want to make my own nano-hydroxyapatite (nHAP) toothpaste and flavor it the way I want, but I have never gotten around to contacting the companies that sell the stuff to see just how much nHAP I'd have to buy.....usually it's just manufacturer's that buy stuff like that, so I'm not really optimistic.....

Last edited:
Thankfully I have no issues with brushing, and have very healthy teeth. My son on the other hand, hates it and also has poor motor skills, so its a challenge to keep his teeth clean. We keep at it though, because the only way he could go to a dentist for tooth repair would be to sedate him.

Your teeth and mouth health is very related to the health of your body, and I believe that brushing is very important for everyone.

My dental hygeine was not very good when I was a kid but I was lucky, I never had any tooth decay at all until my twenties. (Kind of ironic, given that by my twenties my dental hygeine had become pretty good -- I actually think it's pretty good now, even though I do sometimes forget to brush and I don't floss enough.)

and being honest someone's bad breath, or BO makes me feel sick... I don't want to ever be that person, so I deal with things and move on. : )

I am weird, in that I would much rather people smell of body odor than all the horrible perfume that gets put into soap and deodorant. Body odor doesn't bother me much unless it is really, really bad (like the person basically smells like wet used gym clothes that have been inside a locker for a long time).

But I feel the same -- I don't want to be causing someone to feel ill or uncomfortable when I'm out, because I know what it's like to be the person struggling to tolerate an overpowering smell (the type of smell doesn't matter).

When I was a kid I tried to avoid brushing my teeth as much as possible. Now I'm ok as long as I have a very soft toothbrush. Flossing , however, is a huge problem. Sometimes I just can't get coordinated enough to do it so it is an on again, off again not-quite-a habit.

I am similar with flossing and I will never use anything but the "extra soft" toothbrushes.

This is a great strategy.

I am the same for pressure with manual toothbrushes.

Lol, very true.... I don't use a mirror either. Actually, I don't even brush my teeth in the bathroom. I brush them in my bedroom, and that's where I keep my toothbrush. (I do rinse it after I use it, though -- and then I soak the toothbrush head in hydrogen peroxide.)

P.S. Toothpaste that tastes like cilantro?
Cilantro/Mint, which reduces the intense flavour of the mint, it tastes mildly like mint. There is no other discernible flavour to me. Have tried about fifteen or so different toothpastes over the years, including licorice, cinnamon, fruit flavored, disliked the taste of all of them.

As a child I hated doing it, therefore skipped most nights but mom had to do it for me until about 10 years old when she refused to do it from then on. I pretended to brush my teeth through the teens because was always paranoid my brother would do something to my brush like spoil it in the toilet or use it to clean the dirty tap or something.

Fast forward to this year, I was completely motivated to brush my teeth twice a day after having gone to the dentist but that feeling of motivation left me after a few weeks when I just felt more and more depressed and decided its not worth doing until a few weeks before I have to go back.

I have so many problems like crooked teeth, lost about 5 teeth in my teenage years, really important ones, had root canal done, fillings in most of my right side, gaps in the front. Now in my mid-20s, fortunate to have my front 2 teeth but have them fractured and rubbing against my lips causing slight pain and soreness, had numerous work done to one thats slightly worse off and so noticeable its impossible to smile properly. The lateral incisor is gone and have to pretend its there by clenching my jaw, main reason for that would be the opposite incisor ought to be at the back because its so big.

New Threads

Top Bottom