• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

To the u employed here...

I do freelance work but, when I don't have a client, I occupy my time with hobbies, studying interests, learning something new. History is always a source of fascinating information, if you dig long enough and deep enough.

corrinnemcmahon, I am sorry that you're depressed, it is such a destroyer of spirit and makes all other things difficult and the time passes slowly.
I think that Beverly hit the nail on the head. Read, learn a new skill set, spend time with a hobby, audit a class. Write and post here for hours, until you land work. Network friends and make connections. Edit: listen to music!
I would also point out that reality has a way of imposing its own will, and sometimes it pays to just go with it and don't stress by beating yourself to a pulp to bust a big move. That is to say one can bend the world to their own will incrementally, with a series of correct choices at just the correct time.
High risk and high reward, focused thought and applied wisdom are very powerful tools for personal development and achievement.
From what I have read on this forum, the happiest people here have manifested their own reality by losing some of the skirmishes, avoiding the un winnable battles and keep the focus on the big picture to win the war.
A position or job is a means to a end. Self sufficiency and happiness is what the big picture is all about in the end. You may not be in control of your vocational choices but you are in total control of your happiness.

Last edited:
I dread the day I'm supposed to go to work... which eventually will come. My days as busy enough to actually cut back on hours of sleep (and thus I often don't sleep for 2 days) because I actually have stuff to do and usually motivate myself enough to do these things (and if that fails, I guess going for a good nap to catch up some sleep you skipped earlier is a good alternative; usually to wake up with a fresh perspective and drive for any project I'm working on).

Anything from reading comicbooks, gaming, playing music instruments (and on the off chance recording), painting, writing, binge-watching movies and tv shows I can fill my days without effort and actually feel it's often an obligation to open up some time to spend time with the few friends I have.

I often feel every day is like I'm ending up at a list like "1000 movies to watch before you die" but for some reason I never feel it's overwhelming, lol.

I haven't had a job in 10 years. I have children I take care of (age 11 and 14) but I have also spent a lot of time: painting, learning the craft of photography, photographing fine arts projects, entering photo competitions, doing volunteer photography work for a local paper, learning the craft of jewelry making, making jewelry, sewing, learning the craft of writing, writing books and short stories, managing a guild for an on-line game, getting a healer education, getting a regression therapy education, learning about metaphysics, getting a mindfulness instructor education, writing daily emails, learning about gemology, learning about pearls, learning about autism, giving talks, etc. I also really like to read but will have to wait a little longer before picking it up again.

Beverly how did you get work as a freelancer? I'm just curious

I'm a freelance songwriter so, I wrote songs, submitted them to studios and, artists until somebody said they wanted to perform or record one and, would pay me what I asked for the song. I also performed on stage before that so, I understood how contracts, royalties and such worked and, knew what to ask for.

For other freelance work, you would need to research the field you want to freelance in, look at sample contracts, contact others that work in that field, ask questions, learn what to charge, how to contact potential clients and, what specifics are most in demand in that field. Then you do it, make the contacts, get a lot of rejections and, finally, get a client. Rinse and repeat. It's more rejection than being accepted but, in the right field, it can be lucrative and, you set your own schedule and, if you get a client that is really hard to work for, you can finish that one job and never have to work with them again.

I'm a student, but between semesters I am learning how to write, and learning how to draw. I also read. And do internet.

I research topics of interest (mostly science, history, and anime these days), tend to my garden, walk my dog, and try to go out with friends.

I would like to add creative pursuits to that list but it seems that whenever I try to actually do something (rather than mely learning and thinking about things) my anxiety gets the best of me and stymies my efforts. But that's a topic for an other thread.

I research topics of interest (mostly science, history, and anime these days), tend to my garden, walk my dog, and try to go out with friends.

I would like to add creative pursuits to that list but it seems that whenever I try to actually do something (rather than mely learning and thinking about things) my anxiety gets the best of me and stymies my efforts. But that's a topic for an other thread.

Datura, you were one of my earliest welcomers when I was a newbie. Thank you for that.
I wish you well in all your endeavors and look forward to that thread.

What I spend a lot of time on these months is being Guild Master for a group of people playing an on-line app game. As I'm hospitalized in the children's psychiatric ward with my daughter and have been very limited in my movements since the end of September last year, I really enjoy this chance to use my brains, learn more about leadership and motivation and get to know a lot of people all over the world. Plus I love the chats in our chatroom that often makes me laugh.

Datura Have you tried hieroglyphs? I'm working on them now and, it's a lot of learning but writing them is also artistic and creative. You might enjoy that.

Here is a free site to start learning them, if you are interested.

http://www.egyptianhieroglyphs.net/

New Threads

Top Bottom