• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

this update is really throwing me for a loop

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
My Wife tells me it is similar to Facebook, I do not use Facebook, many of us Aspies are not good with change. One of the reasons I'm not really into computers. Programing with punch cards was the only course I had issues with in college 40+ years ago. Getting to be an expert on programs like Excel or word and then some twit decides to upgrade it. This has always been a issue with me. It took me months to figure this program out when I first joined this forum, I am not that impressed with programmers they all copy each other.
That is the only silver lining.

Programing with punch cards was the only course I had issues with in college 40+ years ago. Getting to be an expert on programs like Excel or word and then some twit decides to upgrade it.

With the passage of time, technology will not wait to keep up. It will continue to evolve and so long as you choose to, or are forced to be a user of technology, you are responsible for keeping up with it. Would you prefer to be hacked by some "twit" as you say, instead? I understand your frustration and just know that the update is for everyone's own good. It's mainly for security purposes and that's no joke.

Honestly I'm not too fond of it either.

"Similar to Facebook" is definitely not a good sign as far as I'm concerned. And a lot of things seem to be outright missing or lessened.

What gets me is that I cant think of any real reason as to why it needed to be done from a practical UI standpoint. Someone mentioned making it closer to what other forums do, but... just because someone else does something doesnt mean it's a good idea.

But also, some things about this design seem like they're going to actually make it that much more confusing for those that arent too familiar with computers or the internet, which adds extra steps to any process they might do and makes it seem daunting (and frustrating). For a support forum, that is... not good. It makes it harder to communicate, and harder for others to even spot things and respond... and when someone really needs help, that's a big problem.

In my case I'm finding it much harder to keep track of what's going on. And I've been using forums for many years now.

Dont get me wrong, it's not terrible... it's not the atrocious mess that something like Reddit is, for instance. But I also cant think of anything positive to say about it.

With the passage of time, technology will not wait to keep up. It will continue to evolve and so long as you choose to, or are forced to be a user of technology, you are responsible for keeping up with it. Would you prefer to be hacked by some "twit" as you say, instead? I understand your frustration and just know that the update is for everyone's own good. It's mainly for security purposes and that's no joke.

Honestly I have trouble believing this one. Particularly as the formatting of absolutely everything changed. Shifting some bits around to look different is not security. When it comes to security, the internal stuff is what actually matters.

I could actually rant for quite awhile about this point, considering the sheer number of "helpful" updates I've seen in all sorts of sites and programs over too many years, but I'll save that for another day.

I will say though, that keeping safe on the Net should NEVER be in the hands of sites of any sort, no matter how benevolent they are, no matter how much they truly want to do things for you (and I fully believe THIS site is a benevolent one). Safety, REAL safety, is in YOUR hands only... not theirs. Everyone should learn basic safety rules on the Net. Dont use your real name, dont post personal info like your full address, dont click ads for any reason no matter what (in fact, run adblockers), and other things. Internet safety 101, really. That's how you actually keep yourself safe.

Unfortunately sites like Facebook are doing their best to teach people the direct bloody opposite of those sorts of important habits, but... that too is a whole other rant.

I'm also struggling with it, I was away for the weekend when they were doing the update, and now I'm confused

I'm just struggling with how to new threads, new threads shows new responses to older threads as well, I just want to see what brand new discussions were created and in the past that was typically only a few per day

Does this make sense? What I'm describing

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think this layout is more aesthetically pleasing than the old one (on mobile, I don't like it at all on PC), BUT I also agree with everyone who is saying that it's confusing and it's difficult to find new threads. That is throwing me for a loop too and kind of giving me anxiety.

Also, I tried searching for a thread yesterday (the "what are you reading" thread) that I think had been posted in somewhat recently, and I could not find it ANYWHERE. The search kept turning up ancient threads with the word "reading" in them that were otherwise totally irrelevant, which was incredibly annoying.
So, apologies for posting the books I'm reading in the "what was the last thing you bought" thread. I could not for the life of me figure out what happened to the original book thread.

Sorry if me posting in older threads has made anything more difficult for anyone. It's really stressing me out too that I can't find some relatively recent threads that I used to post in a lot. I don't know why threads from like 2015 are coming up when I try to search for threads from 2021 and 2022. Help!! :worried:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think this layout is more aesthetically pleasing than the old one (on mobile, I don't like it at all on PC), BUT I also agree with everyone who is saying that it's confusing and it's difficult to find new threads. That is throwing me for a loop too and kind of giving me anxiety.

I think I've said it before, but I might be one of the few people here who mostly uses this forum on my desktop/tower drive computer... I really don't like using internet much on my smart phone, when I leave the house I tend to leave most of my internet activity behind, even when going to work for a full shift...

I do understand the idea of making sure that any website renders well on a mobile phone, as that apparently is how most access internet these days, maybe the only way those people do...

I've come to this website a few times the last few days, stared at it and left. The way I functioned on here before doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

I tried searching for a thread yesterday (the "what are you reading" thread)
See if you can get to it by going through your recent activities or posts. Though I hope that's only a last minute resort for now and nothing permanent.

Particularly as the formatting of absolutely everything changed. Shifting some bits around to look different is not security. When it comes to security, the internal stuff is what actually matters.
I don't understand this either. I'm really bad at anything computer-related so I hope someone can provide a thorough explanation for us. I totally get updating for security purposes, but did that somehow force the forum to change its layout?

Tbh I have my rants purely from a design perspective...will try to keep my mouth shut on this one. Having a solid black bar on top of a website produces a solemn feeling and is a good way to keep people off.

I've never used a Smartphone. Maybe this is why I can't understand the new layout?
I'm getting alerts daily from 2015 making it hard to find the newest threads I have been used to going to.
I've also just looked at the new style and given up a few times.

Don't know what happened to the old Karma emoticons. Others are still using winner, informative, friendly and all the old ratings somehow.
All I have to click is "like." :confused:

...Don't know what happened to the old Karma emoticons. Others are still using winner, informative, friendly and all the old ratings somehow.
All I have to click is "like." :confused:
Did you try hovering over the 'like' tab, as opposed to clicking on it?
That's what works for me.

Did you try hovering over the 'like' tab, as opposed to clicking on it?
That's what works for me.
Just tried. Nope.
I made a thread under forum issues asking about it.
Maybe someone has the same problem or found how to fix it.

Only issue I have is that blogs now need pre-approval and I have one sat there since Sunday and another from yesterday.

Yesterday evening Facebook business page had an update too. Once it was done, I checked my page and it somehow removed all 1300+ of my followers and now only shows page likes. Not too sure how on earth that happened.

Ed

Just tried. Nope.
I made a thread under forum issues asking about it.
Maybe someone has the same problem or found how to fix it.

If you hover your mouse over the thumb/like icon - a second later it'll show the other reaction types:

site.png

Ed

Thanks for the replies.
A moderator also said the same. Hover over the thumb.
It just doesn't work for me. Thumb icon gets larger, but, nothing else changes.
I have an old PC. Maybe that's the problem.

Turn the site to night mode, it really helps. Use the chrome extension "Dark Reader"

My userpic was all stretched out and distorted. So to fix it I just clicked on edit. I wiggled the pic around, and it stopped being stretched out. Then I saved it.

That stuff helped a bit.

Thanks for the replies.
A moderator also said the same. Hover over the thumb.
It just doesn't work for me. Thumb icon gets larger, but, nothing else changes.
I have an old PC. Maybe that's the problem.
Old PC wouldn't necessarily cause a problem but an old, outdated browser would. What operating system and browser are you using? If you don't wish to say 'out loud' on the forum you can PM me.

New Threads

Top Bottom