• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking about switching career to graphic design

rachel_ruien

I've finally decided I'm not cut out to be a high school teacher. The silver lining of all this social distancing is that I've realized just how stressful the classroom environment is for me. The constant interactions with students and other staff members were really taxing my health. After nearly a month of little to no face-to-face interaction, I feel better than I have in months. Maybe even years.

I've used all this free time to do something I've always wanted to do: Start learning Adobe creative software. I've always enjoyed art, but I never thought I could be good at it. The more I learn about design, the more I can see myself spending hours and hours doing it. I love exploring all the ways to use type and color to communicate messages. I enjoy the combination of problem solving and creativity, and how altering the tiniest details can make such a big difference.

After a bit of research, I discovered a design school called Shillington that offers an intensive program that trains complete beginners to entry-level professional competency. The portfolios I've seen are truly impressive. Before I embark on this (rather expensive) journey as a 28 year-old, I wanted to get advice from Aspie graphic designers. Do you like your careers? What should I know before starting down this path? I know it's a challenging career, but my expectations are realistic. As long as I can make a living that's enough for me. I also have Chinese translation skills I can fall back on if necessary. Ultimately I'd love to combine language and design to help Chinese brands and companies enter the U.S. market and vice versa.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I should think it may not be the best time for trying to launch Chinese brands on the US market. Some people are a bit cross about the wild markets that can lead to pandemics.

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan. Probably good to research the work opportunities if you are going to pay for a training.

Knew someone who graduated with such degree. She freelanced and designed logos. But nothing else really panned out and it was a big city she was in, not much income though. But she did get hired at major software company after she earned her degree.

It can be rewarding but also quite repetitive depending on the client (and specific style they want) and often you don't really have much choice in the case of specific colours, symbols, text, images used etc. For me it's more of an on-side interest, but if you wish to pursue it, I would first recommend getting to know Photoshop and Illustrator through Youtube tutorials or graphic design courses on Coursera or similar platform. Keep with it for a few weeks working 6-8 hours days and decide if it's something that you wish to do. Also, invest in good eye drops and make sure to rest your hand properly every hour since you don't want to get carpal tunnel any time soon. Maybe buy a nice, not very expensive graphic tablet as well, it's easier to use than a mouse.

You probably should learn some also about digital marketing and other forms of advertising.

There are two broad types of paths available for graphic designers that I know of:
1. Freelance and individual - in which case you need to learn how to gather your own followers and your income may be rather unstable, especially in the beginning.
2. Hired by a company - where you don't have much freedom in the choice of the type of design you need to create but you get more financially secure position. Although, clients can be annoying with their ignorance and demands concerning the smallest details.

Freelance may fit you better but may be more difficult to implement. Both should be much less stressful in the social area though... Bless you, how were you even able to stand high school in a teaching position..?

Anyway, graphic design is fun. You like it? Go for it! If you like this kind of stuff, you can check out rapid prototyping and 3D printing as well, they're interesting in a bit different way ;).

I should think it may not be the best time for trying to launch Chinese brands on the US market. Some people are a bit cross about the wild markets that can lead to pandemics.

All the more reason for them to invest in good marketing ;)!

Thanks for the advice; I will definitely make sure to scout out opportunities in advance.

It can be rewarding but also quite repetitive depending on the client (and specific style they want) and often you don't really have much choice in the case of specific colours, symbols, text, images used etc. For me it's more of an on-side interest, but if you wish to pursue it, I would first recommend getting to know Photoshop and Illustrator through Youtube tutorials or graphic design courses on Coursera or similar platform. Keep with it for a few weeks working 6-8 hours days and decide if it's something that you wish to do. Also, invest in good eye drops and make sure to rest your hand properly every hour since you don't want to get carpal tunnel any time soon. Maybe buy a nice, not very expensive graphic tablet as well, it's easier to use than a mouse.

You probably should learn some also about digital marketing and other forms of advertising.

There are two broad types of paths available for graphic designers that I know of:
1. Freelance and individual - in which case you need to learn how to gather your own followers and your income may be rather unstable, especially in the beginning.
2. Hired by a company - where you don't have much freedom in the choice of the type of design you need to create but you get more financially secure position. Although, clients can be annoying with their ignorance and demands concerning the smallest details.

Freelance may fit you better but may be more difficult to implement. Both should be much less stressful in the social area though... Bless you, how were you even able to stand high school in a teaching position..?

Anyway, graphic design is fun. You like it? Go for it! If you like this kind of stuff, you can check out rapid prototyping and 3D printing as well, they're interesting in a bit different way ;).

This is all so helpful! Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. I'm definitely still in the dilettante stage, but I can see myself really enjoying it. Just becoming aware of design principles has made me so much more attuned to details around me. I will definitely take your advice (right down to the wrist and eye drops...didn't even think of that!) and see where it goes :D

I would be really interested in advertising and marketing but I don't really know where to start. I've tried my hand at copywriting but that's about it. Would love any tips!

As for how I can stand teaching at a high school...I can't, really. I've just gotten very good at hiding it (at least while I'm at school).

This is all so helpful! Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. I'm definitely still in the dilettante stage, but I can see myself really enjoying it. Just becoming aware of design principles has made me so much more attuned to details around me. I will definitely take your advice (right down to the wrist and eye drops...didn't even think of that!) and see where it goes :D

I would be really interested in advertising and marketing but I don't really know where to start. I've tried my hand at copywriting but that's about it. Would love any tips!

As for how I can stand teaching at a high school...I can't, really. I've just gotten very good at hiding it (at least while I'm at school).

I'm still impressed with your perseverance at your current (past?) job. I remember school was really loud during breaks and boring during classes. Wouldn't like to stay there longer than necessary. Why did you choose it in the first place, from curiosity?

For the advertising... I just finished a course on Digital Media Marketing, though it was organised by my employer. Still, useful. I know there are many schools offering yearly, more informative courses as well, with a rich curriculum, including graphic design marketing from what I've seen. You can try finding some on Coursera or similar. Definitely make an account on Instagram and LinkedIn as well - Instagram being useful to show your graphic skills and build up the network of followers or like-minded artists and LinkedIn being very useful as a platform for professionals, with a set of interesting daily articles and peopl/companies to follow for inspiration.

In general, search the web. There are many opportunities, often free, that you just have to find and take on. Don't get discouraged and keep working on it every day and you'll get there.

Also, read on Photography composition, helpful in any kind of design, and if you can't, proceed with some simple drawing drawing exercises, knowledge of perspective etc. Read books, learn and above all - create. The more you create, the better you get.

Do some short creativity exercises too - one is for example to choose an everyday object and in 5 to 10 minutes sketch as many potential uses of it as you can think of. Even seemingly stupid ones. It teaches your mind to start thinking in a different way.

If you're interested in 3D art as well, you can try out building stuff in SketchUp or similar software and play with them in Blender as well. And if you like more random, parametric solutions, try Rhino and Grasshopper. However, these are more as a curios to try out different things and start thinking in more complex ways, they aren't directly related to graphic design per se.

Create an online portfolio too, especially if you prefer to avoid platforms like Instagram.

Also, when things are open again, visit galleries of arts, especially contemporary art. Useful both for knowledge and inspiration. Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom