• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The World Of Torture and Walmart, The TortureMart

Well, retail stores will probably all eventually close down because people do all their shopping online now. There's hardly anything decent in most stores these days. I must be the only aspie unhappy about that however, because there's hardly anywhere else to go or do anything that interests me. Either that or it's too far to get to without a car or a cab is too expensive. I don't have friends or relatives I can visit except my parents, I almost never get invited to anything, and I have no life at all.

Hi Auburney

I know that telling you to get over it isn't constructive and it feels hurtful when people say it, but in your circumstances there aren't a lot of choices. You can
A - avoid everywhere and everything that distresses you as much as possible.
Or
B - find ways to reduce the amount it distresses you.
Or a combination of the two. We all recognise the pain this causes you and I know that if there was a panacea that could fix it for you somebody would have mentioned it. I hope that you get your diagnosis and you are offered some help to manage what at the moment looks like an unmanageable situation.

I tried going without earplugs before, and it didn't work. It's torture for loud noises constantly hurting my ears! And no, I don't "make it feel that way". It might've worked for you, but if I am diagnosed to be autistic, IT IS THE WAY MY BRAIN PROCESSES IT, AND I CAN'T CONTROL THAT. You can't tell me I'm causing my sensitive hearing or that I can't "just get over it" because you're not me, nor am I the same as anyone else with sensitive hearing. Now therapy, I don't know if that'll help sensory processing disorder. I've been through audiologists, ENTs, and CAT Scans before I found out that my sensitive hearing could be autism and sensory processing disorder. All said to try not using earplugs so much, and she I have tried it, I just ended up back where I am now, and it tends to get worse and worse! I just end up getting overstimulated, and trying it the "Nuerotypical way" isn't working! I can't just "ignore" sounds because they are way too loud to ignore! So please stop telling me to do what I've already tried and learned is impossible me for me to do! I appreciate help, but just telling me to "get over it" or "ignore it" isn't helping, especially when I've already tried it and constantly kept getting tortured into a meltdown in the process! It's. NOT. helping!

I highlighted some ways you programming yourself to feel pain from this and programming yourself that you can't overcome it. I imagine you repeat some of this "mantras" to yourself over and over every day.

Never said "you causing your sensitive hearing" its in fact how you brain works you hear too much at same time and cannot tune out, i said that you convinced yourself its a painful and now you suffering from pain.
Sound on itself is not painful, but if you repeat to yourself over and over that its painful you eventually believe it and feel actual pain.

Thinking distortions are causing your problems perhaps you might want to look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), best book on subject is Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy if you read first 20 pages into it you will see all this for yourself.

Never said its going to be easy to get over it, but ignoring problem (ear plugs/headphones) not going to fix it, better tell more about how exactly you tried under what circumstances and for how long before you gave up on it?

Also you say you will end up in mad house, how you made to age of 19 with this problem did it got worse recently?

Last edited:
I have hyperacusis, and high-pitched sounds are quite literally painful. Earplugs help a lot, though, they don't block out sound completely but make it more 'normal'.
Hyperacusis - Wikipedia

I have hyperacusis, and high-pitched sounds are quite literally painful. Earplugs help a lot, though, they don't block out sound completely but make it more 'normal'.
Hyperacusis - Wikipedia
Nothing personal but this looks like like one of this made up conditions that got invented very recently to make grant money, no one can diagnose this using any method, but feedback from patient, see where i am going with this?

How many people with autism actually experience pain from sound?

WebMD said:
Your ears detect sounds as vibrations. If you have hyperacusis, your brain confuses or exaggerates certain vibrations. So even if you get the same signals as someone else, your brain reacts differently to them. That's what causes the discomfort.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/sound-sensitivity-hyperacusis#1

Mind plays tricks on you if someone diagnosed you with something does not mean its real thing modern medicine is corrupt it benefits from having more people sick.

Me thinking about it made me feel pain from hearing my fridge work...

Fix your mind first, read the book i quoted in last post.

Last edited:
Nothing personal but this looks like like one of this made up conditions that got invented very recently to make grant money, no one can diagnose this using any method, but feedback from patient, see where i am going with this?
It is very real to the person experiencing it, and to suggest otherwise is unjustly dismissive.

It is very real to the person experiencing it, and to suggest otherwise is unjustly dismissive.

Absolutely! There are plenty of problems we could describe as "the mind playing tricks" including depression and all other mental illnesses, phobias and many more. They are SO real to the people experiencing them and can only be managed through sustained effort supported sometimes by medication , lifestyle changes and appliances. It takes BIG changes to your life, often in multiple areas to overcome them.
@AuBurney Tuckerson came on here to describe her pain and to ask for support. There may be little we can offer in tangible suggestions, but we can acknowledge that at the moment she is in tremendous pain and the decent thing is to be supportive to her finding a solution rather than belittling her situation or undermining her efforts.

Can i ask you how it started what cause it in your case?
I don't know. It didn't come on suddenly, and I have always had sensitivity to noise, but it has got worse in recent years, and it seems to be worse when I'm in an unfamiliar environment. There are many possible causes that could apply to me, including ASD, depression, hearing loss and overexposure to loud music, or a combination of factors. I think my hearing is normal for my age, though. It is also related to tinnatus, I don't have that.

Hyperacusis - Wikipedia
That was the FIRST thing I thought I had when my ears first opened up, and I couldn't get used to it or cope. After visiting ENTs and audiologists, and been after a CAT Scan, it turns out I didn't have it, especially since the Pink noise CD wasn't working or improving, either. I've been suffering for 5 years with this problem, even wearing earplugs, and there has been nothing to help it. I trued ignoring it at first didn't work. I tried using earplugs less of the time, but it just got worse and more unbearable. I got to the point where I was banging my head on stuff and crying, and the teachers couldn't figure it out. They just dismissed it when I told them about my sensitive hearing. Some tried to help with earplugs, and it worked for a good bit until my hearing just got more sensitive. Then I started wearing them more. I try taking them off, but even then, it just got worse and worse. My sensitive hearing gets worse and worse no matter what I do, and I don't know if any amount of earplugs or earmuffs will help.. I may try them if I get the money, but I don't think there's any help for me. All those kids I see on YouTube with "Just Ausome" and "Snug" are living way better than I am.. But I doubt that they would work on me. I have bad luck. I don't even know if the doctor will diagnose me with autism or misdiagnose me with something else.

That was the FIRST thing I thought I had when my ears first opened up, and I couldn't get used to it or cope. After visiting ENTs and audiologists, and been after a CAT Scan, it turns out I didn't have it, especially since the Pink noise CD wasn't working or improving, either. I've been suffering for 5 years with this problem, even wearing earplugs, and there has been nothing to help it. I trued ignoring it at first didn't work. I tried using earplugs less of the time, but it just got worse and more unbearable. I got to the point where I was banging my head on stuff and crying, and the teachers couldn't figure it out. They just dismissed it when I told them about my sensitive hearing. Some tried to help with earplugs, and it worked for a good bit until my hearing just got more sensitive. Then I started wearing them more. I try taking them off, but even then, it just got worse and worse. My sensitive hearing gets worse and worse no matter what I do, and I don't know if any amount of earplugs or earmuffs will help.. I may try them if I get the money, but I don't think there's any help for me. All those kids I see on YouTube with "Just Ausome" and "Snug" are living way better than I am.. But I doubt that they would work on me. I have bad luck. I don't even know if the doctor will diagnose me with autism or misdiagnose me with something else.
If earplugs, earmuffs and ear defenders don't help you, then there's probably not much else you can do except avoid noisy places or situations. Perhaps you have sensory processing disorder.

If earplugs, earmuffs and ear defenders don't help you, then there's probably not much else you can do except avoid noisy places or situations. Perhaps you have sensory processing disorder.
Apparently, so. I always had to hold my breath when going to the bathroom or near a trashcan or dumpster. That was from childhood. My sensitive hearing didn't come til I was 14 because I was always so clogged up until I was 14, but I was unable to cope or get used to the noise as every day tortured me to the point of banging my head and crying during that time until I got earplugs, so I had my ears out long enough for a normal person to adjust, but I was unable to. When I was a toddler, chairs and tables were my worst enemy as well as walking barefoot on carpet. The touch thing doesn't bother me anymore, but some textures such as sticky or dried food on stuff still do. I also hate slimy textures or Webby textures as to why I used to have a fear of spider webs, not the spider itself. I still won't touch a spider web to this day, but my sensitivity to smell and noise never went away. I'm also sensitive to taste and bright lights like the sun or headlights when driving. The lights totally blind me, and I can't are anything in the dark on the road, so I try to avoid driving at night.

Apparently, so. I always had to hold my breath when going to the bathroom or near a trashcan or dumpster. That was from childhood. My sensitive hearing didn't come til I was 14 because I was always so clogged up until I was 14, but I was unable to cope or get used to the noise as every day tortured me to the point of banging my head and crying during that time until I got earplugs, so I had my ears out long enough for a normal person to adjust, but I was unable to. When I was a toddler, chairs and tables were my worst enemy as well as walking barefoot on carpet. The touch thing doesn't bother me anymore, but some textures such as sticky or dried food on stuff still do. I also hate slimy textures or Webby textures as to why I used to have a fear of spider webs, not the spider itself. I still won't touch a spider web to this day, but my sensitivity to smell and noise never went away. I'm also sensitive to taste and bright lights like the sun or headlights when driving. The lights totally blind me, and I can't are anything in the dark on the road, so I try to avoid driving at night.
If you are having an assessment for autism, you could mention this problem to them, it will help with the diagnosis.

Do you have problems with special effects/flash effects in movies or documentaries?

If you are having an assessment for autism, you could mention this problem to them, it will help with the diagnosis.

I gave told the psychiatrist that during my intake appointment. I'm guessing all the signs I gave and questions I answered is the reason why he decided to test me in the first place.

Do you have problems with special effects/flash effects in movies or documentaries?
No, but I do have problems with the bright sun and headlights in my face while driving. Now if kids are flashing toys or lights in my face, I get angry because bright lights hurt my eyes and make it hard to see. I'm blinking constantly when a bright light is directly in my face, and I'm trying to see.

Today I did my weekly grocery shopping, and I must have spent at least ten minutes just wandering around with my shopping cart while in my own little world. The only thing I had in my cart was the kitty litter I needed. Finally I snapped out of it and tried to look for what was on my shopping list but it was harder than usual to focus on anything. Maybe it's because I'm worried that I have IBD and will have to see the doctor and possibly go through all kinds of humiliating, uncomfortable and painful tests and exams. I was going to call my doctor but I forgot to before leaving for groceries and now it's too late and I'll have to try and remember to call tomorrow. Ugggghhhhh!:mad:

Sometimes I wish I could just have my groceries delivered to me, but I'd like to be able to still go out to buy things for my hobbies and special interests. At least there's a new toy store opening up soon that I'll be able to go to.

I know Auburney could get a lot of help were she in the UK, even considering the immense damage done to our health and social care systems over the last 8 years. It would take time, but she would eventually get it.
So an open question to US residents - what help could she get that she could afford or wouldn't need her to contribute towards? Are there any government or state backed assistance programs or charities anyone knows of that might be able to do something positive to help?

New Threads

Top Bottom