• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The World Of Torture and Walmart, The TortureMart

Okay, I got the name for the ear protectors I mentioned:

3M Peltor Tactical XP

They are very expensive though (around 300$ or more). No wonder they were awesome.

Some options, rather than walking around with earmuffs:
Order everything online (already mentioned)
Do shopping like once every few months

Here I have my store of choice that's pretty much always empty except on weekends. Sometimes I have to go to another store for a few things that's always stuffed with subhumans and it's a struggle, so I just go there at really weird times and buy everything I need for a few months.

I think ordering online is your only real choice. Walmart is just so big that it's probably always a mess there. Just order online.

I hate this aspire superpower! It's absolute torture and agony.
@AuBurney Tuckerson: Getting older helps, i think. Knowing the cause of the intense impressions, and that this is not how most people experience the world are also comforting in a way (for me at least). I tried a friends (he is a sound engineer) shooting range ear protectors, and I was amazed. It cancelled out only the loud noises, so I did not get the dotted feeling I get with ear protectors that shuts out everything for a few seconds, then turns everything on again... I will ask him what brand and type he has.

YEEESSS!!! Thank you! The rush and allure of extreme awareness, even if it is draining, is very hard to resist. Most of the time I try to endure and balance, but on some occasions, when I have capacity, it sometimes feels like I am all-seeing, making sense out of E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. I want to, and try to communicate what is going on, but most people regulate input by jumping to conclusions. It is only natural, to save the brain from collapsing. So, I can only be in that state of perception alone. Auspie Superpower. I like that.
I hate this superpower! It's complete torture and agony! For years since my ears finally opened up, and got stuck with this punishment, I've been wishing I was deaf since!

Some options, rather than walking around with earmuffs:
Order everything online (already mentioned)
Do shopping like once every few months

Here I have my store of choice that's pretty much always empty except on weekends. Sometimes I have to go to another store for a few things that's always stuffed with subhumans and it's a struggle, so I just go there at really weird times and buy everything I need for a few months.

I think ordering online is your only real choice. Walmart is just so big that it's probably always a mess there. Just order online.
I have to go to my college classes every day, and No, I can't take them online, either. It's everywhere I go that tortures me!

How completely ironic. I just had a conversation with my NT neighbor and most of the sources of agony sited here were communicated by him as well. He dose not know I am on the spectrum but we had a detailed conversation of the sounds and smells that frustrate him. I completely agree with your assessment, AT. I experience your exasperation and know how deeply you are affected. I too am affected by these things. As you are doing, I have defined the problem and it’s impact and am developing strategies to cope and thrive. My success is about 75%. I wish for you peace and cerenity. To us all.

Okay, I got the name for the ear protectors I mentioned:

3M Peltor Tactical XP

They are very expensive though (around 300$ or more). No wonder they were awesome.
Why not just buy ear plugs its they cost close to nothing in CVS/Walgreens and block 80% of sound completely. Not safe for driving and crossing the street though, but i guess deaf people manage somehow so with little practice you get a hang of it.

Why not just buy ear plugs its they cost close to nothing in CVS/Walgreens and block 80% of sound completely. Not safe for driving and crossing the street though, but i guess deaf people manage somehow so with little practice you get a hang of it.
I'm already wearing orange foam earplugs, and they never worked. I tried different earplugs, but nothing worked.

Yeah orange are like 99 cent store junk, try earplugs that look like this and keep in mind you got to really put them in all the way for them to work.
soft-foam-earplugs-pair_1024x1024.jpg

I use sponge earplugs like the ones that @OrdinaryCitizen posted, or I listen to my own music through headphones covering the ear (not earbuds).

I've never been inside a Walmart so I can't comment on that, but in supermarkets I'm bothered by squeeky trolleys, noisy kids, people blocking aisles, crappy music, store announcements, people in queues, beeping checkouts which are unbelievable loud.

I've never been inside a Walmart
Walmart own ASDA in the UK. Go to a BIG out of town ASDA and it's pretty much the same experience from what I can gather.
As to the earplugs thing - I have a box of those foam earplugs Ordinary Citizen posted and I find them quite effective - they are designed for industrial noise. My wife finds them insufficient though. She buys mouldable wax earplugs which she finds much more efficient, but I personally don't like the sensation when they are in.

But all that is all really just petty noise and annoyances. There are no jobs in hermiting anymore, so you should try and acclimatize yourself and focus on functioning, not complaining.

P.S. Stay away from Chuck E, Cheese, until you are much further along.

chuck-e-cheese-s.jpg

But all that is all really just petty noise and annoyances. There are no jobs in hermiting anymore, so you should try and acclimatize yourself and focus on functioning, not complaining.

P.S. Stay away from Chuck E, Cheese, until you are much further along.

View attachment 47918
Uh, we can't just "not complain". That's just like telling someone who's constantly being poked with sharp knives to "not complain". Overstimulation is something we can't control, and we can't do it without earmuffs or earplugs. It only offends me more when people try to brush it off and say "get over it". NO, I can't just "get over it". That's the reason I end up in fits, screaming every day.. Because I'm having no help, and I'm just living through constant torture. The Calif one earmuffs I got from the autism products site never worked and just squeezed my head, so I can only assume that anything else I get will never work, and I'll have to suffer for the rest of my life on agony. Just thinking of a day full of loud noise torture and odors just make me want to bang my head against the wall!

Well when are you going to get over it? The problem isn't being oversensitive to noise, the problem is refusing to fix the issue. Headphones with music, if that doesn't work (personally I don't like it either as it's quite dangerous with traffic) then you can order things online. That means you avoid Walmart and a whole lot of stores already. In case you do need to get out, pick times when everyone is sleeping. If you get a job as a night time security guard or janitor and learn to invest you'll be a hermit for the rest of your life within 2 decades.

And if noise makes you crazy then what the hell are you doing in college? Are you even going to be able to work in such a position for a long enough time to make the time + money invested into college pay off?

We are unable to move to the countryside.
One thing I just thought of have you or could you have your magnesium level checked ?problems with hearing can !!!!!be connected to a lack of magnesium! And dehydration which is a Catch-22 situation !you are stressed so you become dehydrated !and when you are dehydrated it makes you more stressed !try to have pure orange juice as it's one of the best for dehydration !.
In the mindfulness category, is there something you can picture ,that lowers your blood pressure ,which would work literally anywhere.

Well when are you going to get over it? The problem isn't being oversensitive to noise, the problem is refusing to fix the issue. Headphones with music, if that doesn't work (personally I don't like it either as it's quite dangerous with traffic) then you can order things online. That means you avoid Walmart and a whole lot of stores already. In case you do need to get out, pick times when everyone is sleeping. If you get a job as a night time security guard or janitor and learn to invest you'll be a hermit for the rest of your life within 2 decades.

And if noise makes you crazy then what the hell are you doing in college? Are you even going to be able to work in such a position for a long enough time to make the time + money invested into college pay off?
There is no "getting over it"! I'm only in college because I have to attend college for my career. Now I AM able to order online instead of going to the torture mart. I've tried earplugs, that no longer works. The supposed Califone "ear defenders" don't work at all and were a waste of $20. All I can do is use headphones playing music, but it only helps a little while I'm driving. The outside noises are way too loud. I'm doing everything I can, but we're a struggling family, alright? If I do get any money at all, maybe I can try to order the pelt or earmuffs for $13-15 from amazon, but until then, all we can do is keep buying those cheap foam earplugs whenever I run out, and those don't work at all, but if I stop wearing them, noises are even louder! It's especially hard to fix the issue when NO ONE ever listens to me!

The only fix for me is going to the store very early in the morning or ordering what I can online. For those saying “get over it” remind me of the people who tell depressed people to “Smile and be happy”. There just on completely different levels and don’t understand not all situations and severities are the same. Go at 6a.m. ;)

Thanks. I an unable to go very early as I would be late for class or my brother would be late for school as I have to take him yo school, but I can take advice and order what I need online. Thanks.

Uh, we can't just "not complain". That's just like telling someone who's constantly being poked with sharp knives to "not complain". Overstimulation is something we can't control, and we can't do it without earmuffs or earplugs. It only offends me more when people try to brush it off and say "get over it". NO, I can't just "get over it". That's the reason I end up in fits, screaming every day.. Because I'm having no help, and I'm just living through constant torture. The Calif one earmuffs I got from the autism products site never worked and just squeezed my head, so I can only assume that anything else I get will never work, and I'll have to suffer for the rest of my life on agony. Just thinking of a day full of loud noise torture and odors just make me want to bang my head against the wall!
Why its a torture to hear sounds? its just a distraction, you made it feel like torture in your head.
Its called cognitive distortion, blowing thing out of proportion or smth like that, you try some CBT therapy since i see two more distortions in just the post i quoted, you be surprised once you read about it.
What hurts you is how you think, because how you think is how you reprieve world...

I got same thing for 25 years did not bother me at all until i starter working at a job where had to focus and i heard every sound around that distracted me say i am talking to my boss and someone else is talking next door i hear that and distract. Or when i sit on computer i hear sound around like my coworker next to me on the phone.

Then over time i learned to focus on my work and ignore other sounds yes i still hear them, but i don't pay attention to them, it takes practice though, using headphones or earplugs will not get you there since you not practicing to ignore sounds.

However i was sitting at my work desk trying to focus on work, this might have been the key that i was in calm environment, not walking trough the crowded places where you get lots of other distractions like visual ones and social anxiety etc.

Last edited:
Why its a torture to hear sounds? its just a distraction, you made it feel like torture in your head.
Its called cognitive distortion blowing thing out of proportion or smth like that, you try some CBT therapy.

I got same thing for 25 years did not bother me at all until i starter working at a job where had to focus and i heard every sound around that distracted me say i am talking to my boss and someone else is talking next door i hear that and distract. Or when i sit on computer i hear sound around like my coworker next to me on the phone.

Then over time i learned to focus on my work and ignore other sounds yes i still hear them, but i don't pay attention to them, it takes practice though, using headphones or earplugs will not get you there since you not practicing to ignore sounds.

However i was sitting at my work desk trying to focus on work, this might have been the key that i was in calm environment, not walking trough the crowded places where you get lots of other distractions like visual ones and social anxiety etc.
I tried going without earplugs before, and it didn't work. It's torture for loud noises constantly hurting my ears! And no, I don't "make it feel that way". It might've worked for you, but if I am diagnosed to be autistic, IT IS THE WAY MY BRAIN PROCESSES IT, AND I CAN'T CONTROL THAT. You can't tell me I'm causing my sensitive hearing or that I can't "just get over it" because you're not me, nor am I the same as anyone else with sensitive hearing. Now therapy, I don't know if that'll help sensory processing disorder. I've been through audiologists, ENTs, and CAT Scans before I found out that my sensitive hearing could be autism and sensory processing disorder. All said to try not using earplugs so much, and she I have tried it, I just ended up back where I am now, and it tends to get worse and worse! I just end up getting overstimulated, and trying it the "Nuerotypical way" isn't working! I can't just "ignore" sounds because they are way too loud to ignore! So please stop telling me to do what I've already tried and learned is impossible me for me to do! I appreciate help, but just telling me to "get over it" or "ignore it" isn't helping, especially when I've already tried it and constantly kept getting tortured into a meltdown in the process! It's. NOT. helping!

New Threads

Top Bottom