• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Post a Photo of Yourself Thread

HI, you all know me already lol, but I want to post my picture. Let me all know what you think, especially the ladies? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    544.2 KB · Views: 0
Opening night of the annual European Fairphone Community covention in Amsterdam on 13 August, taken at Semai (an Ethiopian restaurant). I'm seated second from right.
20180813_SemaiRestaurant.JPG

The t-shirt I'm wearing was given to me free from one of the stallholders at Big Data World. More about said firm here: Qubole

Inside Fairphone's HQ, in the eastern dockland area of Amsterdam. Me in the white long-sleeved top (actually a hoodie), front row, second from right.
20180816_FairphoneMeetAndGreet01.jpg
20180816_FairphoneMeetAndGreet02.jpg

Pausing to admire the view at the Noordhollands Duinreservaat (North Holland Dune Reserve) during a 33-km cycle ride between Alkmaar and Bergen aan Zee. I'm on the left-hand side wearing a turquoise "Friends of the Lake District" t-shirt:
20180814_Heather01.JPG

20180814_Heather02.JPG

20180915_182248.jpg

I'm the fat old guy on the right in front of a twin Allison V-12 powered pulling tractor that was driven by a third generation family member of the original driver/builder who drove it years ago.
The engines on this pulling rig were each set up at a 1700 horsepower level.

Their engines were also used in pairs on the formidable WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning twin engined fighter planes dubbed the forked tail devils by the Axis and were the first engines installed on our North American P-51s

P-38:
P-38.jpg

View attachment 47333
I'm the fat old guy on the right in front of a twin Allison V-12 powered pulling tractor that was driven by a third generation family member of the original driver/builder who drove it years ago.
The engines on this pulling rig were each set up at a 1700 horsepower level.

Their engines were also used in pairs on the formidable WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning twin engined fighter planes dubbed the forked tail devils by the Axis and were the first engines installed on our North American P-51s

P-38:
View attachment 47334

I can't fathom two on a tractor!!!

As far as P-38s, there is one called 'Pudgy V' at the last base I was stationed at (McGuire AFB). It was in the center circle. It has since been moved to a hanger. It was the plane of Major Thomas McGuire for whom the base is named. He was the 2nd highest scoring Ace of the war (WWII) but was killed in the war and was awarded the Medal of honor posthumously. I just recently learned it was the US's most produced fighter (10,000+). 26 survive today, 9 flyable.

I can't fathom two on a tractor!!!

As far as P-38s, there is one called 'Pudgy V' at the last base I was stationed at (McGuire AFB). It was in the center circle. It has since been moved to a hanger. It was the plane of Major Thomas McGuire for whom the base is named. He was the 2nd highest scoring Ace of the war (WWII) but was killed in the war and was awarded the Medal of honor posthumously. I just recently learned it was the US's most produced fighter (10,000+). 26 survive today, 9 flyable.
Awesome!

I have seen a couple of them flying at Oshkosh years ago, and they make the hair on you stand on end when you see in the air and hear them as they streak on by.
The earliest builds had two engines that turned the same direction which were later revised to gain engines with counter-rotating propellers which eliminated torque steer and roll issues.
The first versions were also prone to compressibility which was later corrected to further enhance it's stabilizer and elevator control during a dive.

My great uncle flew one during WWII with most of his missions being runs to Switzerland to gather ball bearings which were in high demand and short supply.
They were used for that purpose because of how agile they were for maneuverability and the fact that they were a very capable dive bomber.
That was very important when the only way there and back was thru a path of axis bandits hell bent on taking him down.

He would leave Great Britain to skirt his way by altitude to the airfields in Swiss country, take on a load, then turn around, take the aircraft to near it's service ceiling again, head back over occupied France at high altitude then make a high speed downhill run across the channel for delivery in Great Britain.

Me in the lead on the ride from Alkmaar to Bergen-am-Zee. This was the first time I'd ridden a bike in over five years, following an accident in 2011.
20180814_CyclingAlong.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom