• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The lack of autonomy for those with autism and other disabilities

amara.oceana

Hi, I'm very new to this forum but was wondering if anyone is willing to help me out. For my school, I'm doing a presentation on the lack of autonomy for those with autism/other disabilities in today's world. If you have any information or want to share your own experiences this is a completely safe place to do so and it would help me spread awareness for this issue! Thank You!

I had to look up the definition of Autonomy and have to admit I am still a little confused.

In what sense do you mean autonomy?

I had to look up the definition of Autonomy and have to admit I am still a little confused.

In what sense do you mean autonomy?
I mean the right to make your own decisions about your body, the right to have self-government pretty much. hope this helps:)

I mean the right to make your own decisions about your body, the right to have self-government pretty much. hope this helps:)

I know it doesn't really answer your question... With Autism/Asperger's it all depends on what level a person is diagnosed at... I have HFA-1 (highest functioning), only diagnosed last year in my late 40's, but I have always been autonomous my entire life...

But I do know some people with Autism who struggle with those areas, I can't speak for that

Like @Sherlock77 I was diagnosed late in life. So, I had two challenges involving autonomy. The first was the function of living on my own as a young adult. Because once I left my family home I did not ever want to return, I prepared myself well. The second challenge was when I was isolated and just trying to please people to get by, I had to learn how to advocate for myself in having agency. That was by far the hardest to accomplish as it also required me to learn social behavior.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm very new to this forum but was wondering if anyone is willing to help me out. For my school, I'm doing a presentation on the lack of autonomy for those with autism/other disabilities in today's world. If you have any information or want to share your own experiences this is a completely safe place to do so and it would help me spread awareness for this issue! Thank You!
Specifically what is the topic, the premise of the presentation? “Lack of Autonomy… in today’s world” is vague.

@amara.oceana

Autonomy is a nebulous concept,...much like freedom. Autonomy, much like freedom, is often given by societies, governments,...family,...an employer, etc. So, it may be important to discuss at what critical point does the "lack of autonomy" within those perspectives and contexts, create significant barriers to one's "well-being".

Furthermore, how autism presents itself is highly variable. Some mix of genetics and/or gene transcription at the earliest stages of fetal development result in a highly variable, sometimes global, and often regional alterations in neuron formation and migration. That said, there is a large population of autistics that do not have significant barriers to autonomy. In fact, one of the most influential people in our world right now,...Elon Musk of Tesla and SpaceX,...is autistic. Some of the greatest minds in history,...Tesla, Einstein, Galeleo, Newton,...and a long list of others,...by all accounts, presented with autistic traits. The point being,...once again, at what critical point do certain autistic symptoms create significant barriers to autonomy? However, another perspective,...it is not uncommon to have family dysfunction,...toxic, controlling behaviors from certain family members. Family issues are commonly discussed on the forums. It is not uncommon for parents of "special needs" children to overprotect their children to the point where they actually inhibit their potential. I've worked at one of largest children's hospitals in the US for the better part of 35 years,...some of those parents can be real "pieces of work" and intentionally and unintentionally cause harm from a psychological, psychiatric, and even physical perspective. Psychologically and psychiatrically, if one is told "you are less than", "you don't do this or that well", the gaslighting, the bullying, the enabling,...your entire life,...you are likely to incorporate this into your thinking. It's a form of "brain washing" that makes you think you can't do something, before you've even tried,...so you never make the attempt,...or you make a "half-hearted" effort, fail, and confirm your bias. In effect, you create a lack of autonomy for yourself. On the other hand, I can go on and on with examples of "severely disabled" autistics that have extraordinary talents and abilities,...some have personal assistants and caregivers,...but at what point does a lack of autonomy affect their well-being? Many autistics have "work arounds",...alternative ways of doing things in order to perform their daily life and work activities.

There's a lot of layers to this presentation to consider. Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
I think the main point referred to in the original post, is that some people with Autism struggle to be independent at all (depending on the level of their diagnosis), thus they struggle to do something as simple as living on their own...

Others (I would say myself) have always been independent, always been capable of working and living life, etc... In that sense I have always been autonomous

The question was a little vague, so I’m not sure I’ll have the best answer…

But I’ve been “autonomous” for my entire adult life, aside from some financial and medical assistance (I’m disabled and relatively low-income.) I have Aspergers/HFA-1 I guess is what it’s called now, and functioning hasn’t really been much of an issue for me. I live alone and take care of multiple animals. I do get some accommodations like disability benefits and a service dog (unrelated to autism.)
I have struggled with formal careers because of my disabilities but I’m not sure that has much to do with Autism either. I do a lot of part-time jobs for people who need it, on my own terms. Like walking/training/grooming/babysitting people’s pets. I am able to handle the business on my own and I am always responsible and reliable. If I need to cancel or make any scheduling changes I try to do it a week in advance.
If my functioning is impacted by anything it’s mostly PTSD and medical disabilities. I do have bad days. But I seem to be doing fine on my own :)
My parents never had legal guardianship of me past 18 or anything like that. I had wanted to move out since I was at least 17 but I couldn’t afford it until I was 26. I never had any interest in letting my parents do important things for me or relying on them day to day. I don’t really have issues with hygiene, upkeep of my home, cooking, making decisions about my home and animals, managing medications, socializing, keeping (most) schedules, etc. I ask for help if I need it but I’m pretty comfortable taking care of myself. I’ve actually gotten more independent in general over the past few months, I don’t find myself calling my parents very often at all.
I do struggle with my sleep schedule but that’s because of PTSD symptoms, not autism.
I can’t stand if my house is messy and I can generally clean the whole thing in an hour. I usually shower twice a day and won’t step out the front door without brushing my teeth first, even if I’m in my pajamas lol.
I can drive but for the most part I don’t see a real reason to. I will if I feel like I have to.
I do all my own shopping and budget accordingly.
I’m not currently in school but I take schoolwork and homework very seriously and don’t struggle with keeping up with it or getting good grades. The only thing I’ve had an issue with in college is being bullied :(

Can’t think of much else that would be relevant here but that’s a basic summary of how I function. Hope some of that helps :)

New Threads

Top Bottom