• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cogs Of My Cranium

What has the label of aspergers/aspie etc. done for you and people you know? The more I think about it, the main use is now I know what word to google. Other people I say the label to know what to google. Google the word, the label. However I don't feel it really increases understanding substantially about our condition. It's like qualia on steroids lol. The gap of understanding between any people can be wide but it's feels tremendously wide between us and NTs. I've have an English degree and I think I've got a decent command of language (except for this stream of consciousness I'm writing now on here XD ) but it's disheartening that my words fail constantly to describe what it's like being me to another person. So ultimately I feel the label increases my detached feeling.

I'm inclined to think social majorities are much more likely to default to an expectation that any and every social minority must inevitably adapt to the majority consensus whatever it may be.

Which conveniently enables members of such a majority to have little incentive to either learn about or truly understand the plight of any minority.

A dynamic that reaches well beyond the scope of neurological differences.

I don't know how much it's really helped me. It's nice to find people on the internet who get it, but I rarely if ever bring it up in meatspace.

I'm Aspie Proud! It's helped me overcome some of the limitations my other disabilities have burdened me with.

It's helped me in treatment. They stopped trying to force me out of my meltdowns, and punishing me for them. They started helping and offering strategies. Now, when new doctors, etc. see that diagnosis they automatically know a little more about what life is like for me, and they don't try and talk me out the things I can't help. And after the diagnosis, treatment centers would make exceptions to make life easier for me, instead of considering it to be enabling. It also has helped me understand myself a little more, and find a group of people whom I can sort of relate to. It opens up the possibility for me to utilize the more services that are available to Aspies- disability accommodations and such, in college. And finally, being told that it isn't my fault I have reacted to the world differently, being told that I am not inherently "bad" or "wrong", I am just different, all of that has been immensely comforting.

It's helped me in treatment. They stopped trying to force me out of my meltdowns, and punishing me for them. They started helping and offering strategies. Now, when new doctors, etc. see that diagnosis they automatically know a little more about what life is like for me, and they don't try and talk me out the things I can't help.
Wow! Where do you live that that doesn't make things worse?

New Threads

Top Bottom