• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

@SusanLR @harrietjansson
The thing about omission is...
Is it a wilful intention to keep something hidden, or just an act of privacy?
Or, as has been said, I won't be telling you everything nor should I be expected to.

I can't say whether 'aspies' are any better at omission than anyone else, but I know I don't feel I am obligated to tell anyone anything unless it feels right to do so. If they ask, I am inclined to reveal myself honestly, and sometimes perhaps a little too honestly. I believe it is an Asperger thing to reveal myself this way, explain things in detail, and some people are better at keeping things to themselves than others. All depends on who I'm with really.

I don't like secrets, but there's a difference between keeping something secret and keeping it private.

But that's just because of your opposing definition in this matter.

Remember, you're just giving an opinion. You don't have to say "you look like a neon spandex mistake from Walmart" as that's just a creative example of something that you know would be likely to offend. If you know it's their favourite dress, but you don't happen to like it, they shouldn't be offended if that's what you tell them in an honest way. It's just an opinion. It shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, that's actually their problem.
We don't have to protect people from being offended. Nobody has a right not to be offended. It will actually help them to hear truthful opinions and maybe they'll get used to it.

Totally get what you are saying,but being on the spectrum, means sometimes l blurt out totally not appropriate stuff, so here is where being truthful can mean getting punched in the face, so now l don't say what is the truth, l filter it or don't answer by omission or just don't answer.

so here is where being truthful can mean getting punched in the face, so now l don't say what is the truth, l filter it or don't answer by omission or just don't answer.
You've been punched in the face? Sorry :(

I have had that happen when being honest, but not since school.

So since then you've been afraid of being punched again?

No, high school is sorta of a learning ground. You learn what is acceptable in society. As aspies, we say things that can come off as mean, so l worked hard to say things in a inoffensive manner. I am a senior citizen, those days are long gone. I have held many positions in customer service, and l am very good at dealing with 95.6% of customers.

Does this mean that you are an honest person or does this mean something else?[/QUOTE]

It means that I am honest, very transparent.

I don't know that I lie daily, but I do on occasions where something is too much and I can't bear to go through with it, I'll often end up "sick". It's not really a lie, I'm just not a contagious form of sick. It's like mental block. I try and make it a point to be honest especially to people I care about.

I do on occasions where something is too much and I can't bear to go through with it, I'll often end up "sick". It's not really a lie, I'm just not a contagious form of sick.
I was hardly ever physically unwell when I worked so I used days when I just felt I needed time off as sick days. There were a few people who were sick a lot, at least so it seemed, so they got quite a lot of time off. Whereas just because I was healthy shouldn't mean I have to work so much more than they, so, now and again I would pull a sickie. I think it may be the most common lie in the workforce.

I then realised that just because I didn't smoke, I was missing out on having regular breaks outside. If I said I was going outside for a break, I would be told that's unacceptable, but if I was going outside for a cigarette, now it was acceptable. So even though I didn't smoke, I started saying I was going out for a cigarette, and just made sure I stood up wind.

Both were lies, and as Sabrina said, little ones. But the trouble is, I'm nothing if not creative, and even though I don't write fiction, somehow I am able to come up with a lie in the moment that not only sounds right and is believed but temporarily I sort of believe it too. Perhaps the best lies are ones that the liar 'believes' to be true to be truly accepted as such.

But like I said in a previous post, the trouble with being a liar is you have to remember what lies were said and to whom. I realised that this was not something I wanted to do, and this eventually helped me to walk a far more honest path.

Sometimes people can't handle our truths. Nobody can believe what has happened to me in my lifetime, sounds like a weird lie (s). But it doesn't change anything, it's what l went thru.
Same. And it is not just the events, but the way we react and how we process things.

Lol.

You probably know that 97.34% of people who quote a percentage to make a point are always wrong ;)

Lol

But l like percentages, because the world turns black and white instead of gray, l need percentages to help navigate my world.

Lol.

You probably know that 97.34% of people who quote a percentage to make a point are always wrong ;)

Lol

But l like percentages, because the world turns black and white instead of gray, l need percentages to help navigate my world.

Lol

Then your licence to continue using them will be renewed, but you will no longer be allowed to use them in posts 100% of the time. ;)

Spock: "I want her phone number."
Kirk: "867-5309, Spock".
Spock: "Are you certain, Captain?"
Kirk: "Just kidding, Spock."
Spock: "Another lie, Captain? Humans......"
Kirk: " Surely sarcasm on your part? A joke isn't a lie."
Spock: "Don't call me Shirley, Jim."
Kirk: "Hey, shouldn't our UberEats meal be arriving about now?"
Spock: "In 33.7625 seconds to be precise, Captain. Unfortunate about the food synthesizer breaking down."

Then your licence to continue using them will be renewed, but you will no longer be allowed to use them in posts 100% of the time. ;)

I think in numbers, l like to calculate odds, everyday, we think abouts odds. Don't you?

So l will continue to use percentages because it is my quirk, just as you have your wit and (fill in blanks)that define you. And as an after note, l will never go in and criticize your quirks because this is after all, an autism forum, (known for quirkiness). Touche .......

I think in numbers, l like to calculate odds, everyday, we think abouts odds. Don't you?

Good point. I'm apt to quantify any number of things on the spot. Appropriate or not... :cool:

But then living in Nevada odds are pretty good people look on this favorably. :p

An autistic trait or something else? I'm not sure...

It was a
I don't. I don't always think actually, which is rather peaceful...but, when I do, I mostly think in pictures.

Calculating odds is normal for me. I think it's something to do with logic. I am very visual. I like numbers also. It's very peaceful for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom