• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Four 4's Game

(I think that 31 & 33 are going to be the next hard ones.)
full
I found out that there were more functions allowed in this "game."

Use exactly four 4's to form every integer from 0 to 50, using only the operators +, -, x, /, () (brackets), . (decimal point), x² (square), square root and ! (factorial).

Example: 0 = 44-44

Wikipedia includes the ^ (exponentiation) function.

Last edited:
I found out that there were more functions allowed in this "game."

Yes, absolutely! Go to town on creativity and new functions. I took the rules to mean that you can write anything you want that makes math, but you cannot write any digit except 4, and you must use exactly four of those.

I worked out that I can hit 31 if i can use the Floor and Ceiling functions.

Floor rounds down to the nearest integer: [[3.5]] = 3, or [[√√4]] = [[√2]] = [[1.414]] = 1
Ceiling rounds up: ]]3.5[[ = 4, or ]]√√4[[ = ]]√2[[ = ]]1.414[[ = 2
There are other notations. You could just as easily write Floor(√√4).

I worked out that I can hit 31 if i can use the Floor and Ceiling functions.
I saw two more elegant solutions for 31 & 33 (of which I recuse myself*).

31 was accomplished by the methods we have used up until now.
33 made use of .4 .

I hadn't considered using .4, 4.4 & 44 before reading that. Also promising, .4 (with an overscore for a repeating decimal). It is equal to 4/9ths. Can we agree to the notation, ".4~" ? (See my next post.)

*Or I will submit a different solution.

Last edited:
In studying !4, I just learned about subfactorials & derangement.
full
Yay! me.

Factorial counts the number of permutations for four different people to sit in four different chairs.
Subfactorial/derangement counts the number of ways for four different people to sit in four different chairs without any of them repeating their first chair.

!4 = 9

Last edited:
In studying !4, I just learned about subfactorials & derangement.
full
Yay! me.

That's pretty cool. Maybe I should edit the first post in this thread and add a list of all operations used so far.

I can get to 31 with !4, or with .(4). I haven't figured out a way to do it without those.

Okay, let's get past 31. I came up with:

31 = 4! - √4 + 4/.(4) ( .(4) = 4/9, so 4/.(4) = 9)
31 = 4! - 4/√4 + !4 (!4 = 9, as shown above)
31 = 4! + 4 + √4 + [[√√4]] ([[x]] is floor of x, or x rounded down to the nearest integer. I think this solution is just plain ugly)

I did see the solution that uses only +-*/! on the Wikipedia article. I wish I had found that solution on my own.

Outside of a computer, does "floor" mean "lowest integer" or "integer closest to zero?"

Does [[-5.5]] = -6 or -5?

What do you want it to mean? <Holds hand out for bribe>

Calculators disagree on it.

The math standard says that floor always goes lower. Since -6 < -5.5, goes [[-5.5]] = -6. On a number line that counts up to the right and down to the left (etc., -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3, etc.), floor always goes left and ceiling always goes right. Shall we stick to that definition?

33 = 4! + !4 + 4 - 4

Here is the clever one that I read,
33 = (4 - .4)/.4 + 4!

Last edited:
35 = 4! + !4 + 4/√4
36 = !4 + !4 + !4 + !4

Also, @Crossbreed, you sent me on a major diversion, figuring out how to calculate subfactorials for larger numbers. Fun stuff!

New Threads

Top Bottom