• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Flood & Noah's Ark

Status
Not open for further replies.

All-Rounder

❃⚜uwu awoo uwu⚜❃
V.I.P Member
Was the world destroyed by a flood ~2300 BC [according to James Ussher]? Was it all metaphorical? Was there no flood? How did the people who built the pyramids ~2500 BC become so numerous? Was James Ussher wrong about the date? How did they make it and survive in the Ark?

What are your beliefs on the subject and why?

Keep in mind that according to site rules, debating and criticizing is not allowed, just peacefully mentioning your belief.

There isn't enough water to destroy the whole world with a flood, it is possible that certain areas experienced flooding (tsunami? river bursting banks and changing course etc.)
No Ark, you only have to look at the "recreation" to determine that it wouldn't have been practical to build.

But religions are built on having people having belief without any proof. If there was proof it wouldn't be religion.

Dont think noah's ark (what was his wife's name anyway?) is a true strory in the sense that it really happened. Too many things are unrealistic: the human genetic bottleneck this would have entailed, also the utter loss of biodiversity would hardly have been able to recover to todays number of land living vertebrates inkl birds in the time available. The flood itself is almost the least impossible thing ..although unlikely (and no evidence) that it covered all lands.
So: metaphor.

It happened as it was written. Though dating it would probably be impossible given the huge amount of floods we had over millennia. As for the genetic issue. Your dealing with God. Nothing is impossible with him. And there is evidence to support the flood. NASA has claimed discovery of water worlds in the universe at large. As for here on Earth flooding occurs easily and frequently. An entire planet flooding is not beyond the realm of belief with the rainfall amounts I have seen.

There isn't enough water to destroy the whole world with a flood, it is possible that certain areas experienced flooding (tsunami? river bursting banks and changing course etc.)
No Ark, you only have to look at the "recreation" to determine that it wouldn't have been practical to build.

But religions are built on having people having belief without any proof. If there was proof it wouldn't be religion.
I would count your last sentence as disrespecting faiths which we are specifically not to do on this community which included what I loosely call members who have no faith and people have a faith

I would count your last sentence as disrespecting faiths which we are specifically not to do on this community which included what I loosely call members who have no faith and people have a faith

You aren't the first person who has mis-interpreted something I have said. I certainly wasn't intending to be disrespectful and would like to apologise if you took it that way.

People having faith in things that are cannot be proven is common to all religions (as far as I am aware).
The lack of "proof" doesn't stop a true believer from having faith in their religion.

You aren't the first person who has mis-interpreted something I have said. I certainly wasn't intending to be disrespectful and would like to apologise if you took it that way.

People having faith in things that are cannot be proven is common to all religions (as far as I am aware).
The lack of "proof" doesn't stop a true believer from having faith in their religion.
You are relying on a sweeping generalisation without sources that all religion is based on faith without proof

You are relying on a sweeping generalisation without sources that all religion is based on faith without proof

Perhaps you can let me know of one that has proof (not hearsay) of all it's claims.
Certainly the Abrahamic religions have unproveable aspects, as does Hinduism.
There is no proof of gods living on Mt Olympus, or proof that the flying spaghetti monster exists.

But just as there is no proof that they are true, there is also no proof that they aren't. Any all powerful divinity could presumably easily hide any proof from mortal eyes.

Was the world destroyed by a flood ~2300 BC [according to James Ussher]? Was it all metaphorical? Was there no flood? How did the people who built the pyramids ~2500 BC become so numerous? Was James Ussher wrong about the date? How did they make it and survive in the Ark?

What are your beliefs on the subject and why?

As a Christian, I believe that Noah & the Flood did happen as it is written in the Bible. The dates I'm not up to speed on as to when it specifically happened, so I can't speak on that subject matter. I believe that God has the power to re-flood the Earth, but because of a covenant (fancy word for "promise") he made to Noah in Genesis Chapter 9, he won't do it again. As it says in Job 26:7-14 (Job Chapter 26, Verses 7 through 14):

"God stretches the northern sky over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing. He wraps the rain in his thick clouds, and the clouds don’t burst with the weight. He covers the face of the moon, shrouding it with his clouds. He created the horizon when he separated the waters: he set the boundary between day and night. The foundations of heaven tremble; they shudder at his rebuke. By his power the sea grew calm. By his skill he crushed the great sea monster. His Spirit made the heavens beautiful, and his power pierced the gliding serpent. These are just the beginning of all that he does, merely a whisper of his power. Who, then, can comprehend the thunder of his power?" (NIV)

For those who might be curious and want to do some investigating themselves, you can read Genesis 6:9-9:17(Chapter 6, Verse 9 through Chapter 9, verse 17) to see the Biblical account of the Flood. I do believe that both science & religion co-exist in harmony as God planned it to be. However, there will always be things we cannot comprehend as human beings because we simply don't have the power that God has.

FB_IMG_1623635031330.jpg

Supposedly Noah was between 525-545 years old when he built the ark.

Feels hard to give the story and credibility when you consider that, plus how large the ark would have to be, also how it'd probably take many lifetimes to collect 2 of every animal, let alone transporting them from across the entire globe, back to where the ark was being built etc.

Ed

Interpretations of the story differ and
tend to polarize discussion. Who's "right"/*what's true*
and who's "wrong"/*what's not true* inevitably crops up
in the discussion...

That constitutes debate.
Debate regarding religious beliefs is not congruent
with the purpose of this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom