• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The etymology of tabby cat

Fridgemagnetman

I only have one
V.I.P Member
Found here :-
The Etymology of “Tabby (Cat)”

The word “tabby” came to refer to cats in the 1690s due to their fur pattern, which resembles a striped silk taffeta also called tabby, originally (via French) from the name of the Baghdad neighborhood Attabiy, where rich silks were made. The area was named after the Umayyad prince Attab.

Tabis, the French word from which we get the English “tabby,” was part of a full phrase for “striped silk tafetta,” wherein tabis specifically referred to a rich watered silk. “Tabby” is also related to the Spanish word ataviar, meaning “to decorate or to dress or wear,” specifically regarding high-end luxury fabric or clothing.

giphy.gif

Until the 1770s, it was uncommon to hear the sole English word “tabby” used for a feline, with most people using the full phrase “tabby cat.”

Evidently the word “tabby” was also occasionally used in reference to female cats due to an association with the woman’s name Tabitha—with the nickname Tabby—during the name’s peak popularity between 1718 and 1754. The gendered connotation is particularly interesting given the fact that about 80% of all orange tabby cats are male. (Because the gene for orange fur is on the X chromosome, female cats need to inherit that gene from both parents to be all orange, while a male only needs one from its mother. This also contributes to the fact that most calico and tortoiseshell cats are female, with the resulting patterns influenced by one orange gene combining with black, brown, etc. on the other X chromosome)

Also, tabby is in the "original genome." The African wild cat is a brown tabby with green eyes; seeing this means we are looking at a bit of their ancestors.

Also, tabby is in the "original genome." The African wild cat is a brown tabby with green eyes; seeing this means we are looking at a bit of their ancestors.

I also like the other topics as etymology was something I got lost in for a while.
You tend to when reading the dictionary.

Etymology is so awesome.

Got in an argument at a Xmas party once about euphemism and what the next word in the dictionary.

I went with
euphuistic.

Got disparaged, made up word etc.

Also managing at the same time to remove any doubt about whether I was strange...

I think I was right, but it wasn't the full Oxford English version.

Got in an argument at a Xmas party once about euphemism and what the next word in the dictionary.

I went with
euphuistic.

Also managing at the same time to remove any doubt about whether I was strange...

I think I was right, but it wasn't the full Oxford English version.

Demonstrating a very high knowledge level of a subject is almost like wearing a "I'm an Aspie" sign around your neck. In fact, showing a degree of high intelligence in any area is risky as far as outing yourself.

If the goal is hiding your Aspiehood, I found artificially decreasing your observable IQ by 20 points or so a very effective way to avoid detection. It is also crucial to hide special interests and have common interests to display as a facade.

Wow that's so interesting reTabby Cat. Cute jumping kitten too! I ve never had an orange cat, but there's still time....

:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::blossom::mapleleaf::fallenleaf::sunflower::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::blossom::mapleleaf::fallenleaf::sunflower:

Tabby's are beauitful kitties. I happen to be partial to the ones that have a little more melanin in them. I miss my black kitty very much. She was with me for 18 years.

I have two black cats which are actually black tabbys.

I’m led to believe all black cats are black tabby’s.

With my own adult blacks, really strong sunlight needs to reflect off the coat in order to see the pattern.
Far more noticeable as kittens.

Also have a tortie.
Can’t decide whether or not it’s the gene responsible for the orange or suspected ‘Devon Rex’ in her make up but she’s a strange little cat.
Adorable but strange.

@WereBear -
Why would a cat perch across your shoulders?
(And ride around up there as if it was normal?)
Any ideas?

Demonstrating a very high knowledge level of a subject is almost like wearing a "I'm an Aspie" sign around your neck. In fact, showing a degree of high intelligence in any area is risky as far as outing yourself.

If the goal is hiding your Aspiehood, I found artificially decreasing your observable IQ by 20 points or so a very effective way to avoid detection. It is also crucial to hide special interests and have common interests to display as a facade.

My gosh, why would you want to hide your intelligence? I
Celebrate your wonderful uniqueness and interests.

I went with
euphuistic.

Just pulled out my Oxford Dictionary Volume 1 to check. You were absolutely correct:D
Next entry after Euphemism is: Euphemistic ¯\_ツ_/¯

Side note: Oxford Dictionary 1973, revised by: C. T. Onions (which makes me smile each time I see his name). Sorry Mr. Onions.

Just pulled out my Oxford Dictionary Volume 1 to check. You were absolutely correct:D
Next entry after Euphemism is: Euphemistic ¯\_ツ_/¯

Side note: Oxford Dictionary 1973, revised by: C. T. Onions (which makes me smile each time I see his name). Sorry Mr. Onions.

Onions again

I had litter mates whose mother was a Norwegian forest cat and one was like her like a medium length brown tabby with cream and apricot wow he was beautiful and the other was a short hair black and white! Like his dad I guess. Both really big cats and the black and white boy, his black hair would shine deep brown and a little brindled in the sun.

New Threads

Top Bottom