• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Dream Thread

Last night: my best friend had a baby boy, but he was smaller than her hand and looked long and stretched, not like a baby

I dreamt that I was 18 and my Dad (who died 13 years ago) and my Mom and I lived on a space ship (looked like Serenity) and my brother had left home to join the rebellion( kinda like Star Wars). My mom had an infectious disease like ALS and was bed-ridden (IRL Mom's just fine). My Dad didn't want me to leave home and join the military(IRL we had this convo when I was 15) but I decided to join and fight against the rebellion (and potentially my brother) in the civil war, because the empire was the only one who had the cure for what was killing my mom, and I'd get almost half of what the cure cost as a signing bonus. I sat with my Dad at a cafe by the ocean on another planet, but I didn't tell him that I was leaving. We just sat and talked, watching the ocean. After I joined the empire I found out they started the plague, and I ended up deciding to be a spy for the rebels while I tried to steal the formula for the cure. I woke up before finding it.

I often have dreams of my father and we just sit and talk. I always tell him I miss him, he tells me he knows and then we look out the window and talk about science or computers or radios, just like the old days. I'm an atheist but these dreams help show me that my father lives on through me and my brother.

As a side note, I have found that certain factors greatly effect the vividness, intensity, and complexity of dreams. I would love to see an EEG of me sleeping under different circumstances.

Temperature:
I believe that if the temperature starts lower and then slowly increases I end up bundled up and then overheating during peak REM then the dreams are more vivid. This can be a bad thing though and increase the likely-hood of a nightmare if you get too hot. This can happen if the thermostat is set lower at night but cannot keep up after the sun comes up.

Repetitiveness of tasking the day before:
If I do the same task repetitively, and it requires a high enough cognitive load than that is all I will do in my dreams all night. Ex. Cramming for a test and doing the same types of math problems over and over; that night everything that happens in my dream becomes a math problem, solvable or not. I wake up trying to condense the meaning of life to a quadratic equation, and failing miserably because my unconscious mind basically runs out of ram and crashes.

Caffeine too late:
Causes more anxiety in dreams, more intense but more volatile. More easily awoken.

Sedatives (benydryl etc.):
Can zone me out passed the point of remembering dreams; wake up feeling unrefreshed.

Twice in my life I have had dreams that came true the next day. It was unexpected both times, and I do not make a habit of this. I do not have a gift or anything. It just happened that way twice. *shrug

Twice in my life I have had dreams that came true the next day. It was unexpected both times, and I do not make a habit of this. I do not have a gift or anything. It just happened that way twice. *shrug

You're not called Joseph and got 11 Brothers are you?

On topic, I once had a very weird dream about driving, I drove from Sheffield to Grimsby, sat in the Passenger seat and reaching over to the wheel, managed to get all the way to Grimsby like this, about an hour's drive from Sheffield. A bit later I was driving round the Town, all the places I remember from the College days such as Freshney Place shopping centre, the National Fishing Museum, and Weelsby Campus, well it was called Weelsby Hall back then... A couple of hours later I set off back to Sheffield, was driving through the Town Centre, again sat Passenger side and reaching over, and a Copper saw me and pulled me over! Oh 'eck! At this point I woke up so I don't know what happened next, probably got done for it.

Last edited:

I've had premonitory dreams. Its not exactly the same as the dream, but there is a very obvious link.

I've had premonitory dreams. Its not exactly the same as the dream, but there is a very obvious link.

I my case, I awoke to recall each dream, found them puzzliing, odd and specific. Later each day, real life became like a scene from a movie I had already watched. But, memories are reconstructed, not retrieved from storage intact, so who knows what really happened?

New Threads

Top Bottom