• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The character Sheldon from the show "The Big Bang Theory"

J. Ann

I really think the character Sheldon from the show "The Big Bang Theory" seems like an Aspie. It's as if the writers try to make him one. Does anyone else watch the show, and think so too?

I usually watch BBT and yes, Sheldon has some aspie-ish traits.

But I read in an interview with Chuck Lorre (the creator of the show) or with Jim Parsons (the actor who plays Sheldon) that he does not want to label Sheldon as such. He rather just label him as quirky.

Also add in that Sheldon's antics are so obvious and over the top I doubt it'll do any good for him to bear an Asperger's label. I also don't know if it would be good to have someone with those exaggerated traits (according to the outside world at least) would be good in media, as people might copy such over the top stereotype and claim they are autistic as well.

I usually watch BBT and yes, Sheldon has some aspie-ish traits.

But I read in an interview with Chuck Lorre (the creator of the show) or with Jim Parsons (the actor who plays Sheldon) that he does not want to label Sheldon as such. He rather just label him as quirky.

Also add in that Sheldon's antics are so obvious and over the top I doubt it'll do any good for him to bear an Asperger's label. I also don't know if it would be good to have someone with those exaggerated traits (according to the outside world at least) would be good in media, as people might copy such over the top stereotype and claim they are autistic as well.

I've watch a lot of Big Bang, and I've interpreted that it's implied that he's an Aspie, but the joke is probably more that he's the ultimate nerd/geek/whatever you want to call it.

And the humor really comes from his raging narcissism and arrogance. He delights in being self-indulgent, and doesn't care about people. In the resulting conflict, hilarity ensues!

Great point Daniel. I haven't really gotten into BBT, but from the episodes I have seen I would definitely say he has Aspie traits. And yes, it's his antics that make him the way he is, not necessarily his Aspie traits.

Generally he does show traits, but his personality and antics change in style demanding on what the episode or joke demands. And it might be that reason, or ones stated above why the writer's actively avoid labeling him with any specific disorder and refer to it as Sheldon being sheldon.

On a related note, Abed from community more closely resembles having Asperger's.

Generally he does show traits, but his personality and antics change in style demanding on what the episode or joke demands. And it might be that reason, or ones stated above why the writer's actively avoid labeling him with any specific disorder and refer to it as Sheldon being sheldon.

On a related note, Abed from community more closely resembles having Asperger's.

I'm a Community fan too, and I'm kind of surprised there's not more mention of Abed Nadir on this board...until I remember what Community's ratings are like! :)

For those who aren't familiar with Community, on the first episode, Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) tells Abed (Danny Pudi) that he has Asperger's, which prompts "ass-burger" comments from Troy (Donald Glover) and Pierce (Chevy Chase), which prompts a rebuke from Annie (Alison Brie), I believe.

For the remainder of the series, I don't think they've used the "A-word" to describe Abed at all, but it's an ongoing character trait that Abed lives in his own little world that revolves largely around television and movie references, and has issues breaking out of his comfort zone. He also has issues stemming from his mother leaving their family. He's probably the only "out Aspie" on American television right now, though I'd be happy to hear of any others!

He's also hinted at being a sufferer of Dyscalcilia, in his own version of the Inspector Spacetime titles, his voice over says he struggles with things others don't and an image of an analogue clock and left and right arrows appear. Although I don't remember seeing any issue with these in an episode, and giving the different nature of that scene, also remembering it was just a tag might mean it was just a one off joke and not part of canon.

He's also hinted at being a sufferer of Dyscalcilia, in his own version of the Inspector Spacetime titles, his voice over says he struggles with things others don't and an image of an analogue clock and left and right arrows appear. Although I don't remember seeing any issue with these in an episode, and giving the different nature of that scene, also remembering it was just a tag might mean it was just a one off joke and not part of canon.

You're right about the Dyscalculia! Pretty sure it's an ongoing thing that he can't tell time from reading the hands on a clock.

He also has trouble with the concept of time and clocks--there was that "flashback" clip of him in the library watching a custodian turning back the clock by an hour for the end of Daylight Savings Time. He couldn't understand where the hour "went", and it freaked him out even more when Annie explained that they'd get the hour back in the Spring! :)

I'm a Community fan too, and I'm kind of surprised there's not more mention of Abed Nadir on this board...until I remember what Community's ratings are like! :)

For those who aren't familiar with Community, on the first episode, Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) tells Abed (Danny Pudi) that he has Asperger's, which prompts "ass-burger" comments from Troy (Donald Glover) and Pierce (Chevy Chase), which prompts a rebuke from Annie (Alison Brie), I believe.
That was a great moment

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched all the episodes of The Big Bang Theory three times. I actually very much associate with Sheldon's character and often use him to explain Asperger to my relatives and friends. I also have high IQ (although not like Sheldon) and admit that I share many of Sheldon's traits, including a milder form of narcissism and arrogance.

Actually I was much more like Sheldon as a child and young teenager, refusing to eat from a plate if someone touched it, being very reluctant to let other people touch me (I wouldn't even hug my parents), and often offending people by being tactless. I never had Sheldon's rigid routines or repetitive behaviour (like knocking three times on Penny's door) and was surely less obnoxious though. My point is that there are Aspies who are very much like Sheldon, since I was.

I have evolved a lot since then and got rid of most of these quirks when I was 16 because I fell in love and realised that the girl would never even like me if I didn't change radically (which I did). In the series Sheldon also changes thanks to Amy, but very slowly in comparison to me. Relatives I hadn't seen for a few months couldn't recognise me, couldn't believe their eyes at how normal I had apparently become (on the surface at least, since I only eliminated visible and unlikeable Aspie traits). I also completely opened up at the affective level, which was more autistic-like than Aspie-like. I am now married and have kids and consider myself normal at the affective level (but still very much Aspie at the intellectual and social level). I think I am a proof that Aspies can change and adapt. I think that the love hormones (oxytocin and testosterone ?) are one of the most potent cocktail to induce behavioural change in someone with ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom