• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Benefits of Argumentation

Calibar

Argumentation is often viewed as something to be avoided. When we engage in it it can be perceived as downright offensive. But without argumentation how can we understand the position of those who think differently than we do? How can we pick the views we find most credible when we do not know the full spectrum of available positions? I have spent a good portion of my education studying argumentation and make no mistake, losing - which still happens - is unpleasant and wining is pleasant. For this reason we often decide not to risk it and avoid arguments. But here is some advice: if you think you will lose, have the courage to engage in that argument. If you lose, you will learn something useful which in turn could give you insight into a whole new way of thinking. If someone does have the stronger position give it fair consideration and admit it is correct. If you have the stronger position, do not be arrogant about it and do not make it personal.

Often arguments will end with just a clarification and the two sides will recognize that they subscribe to incompatible first principles which lead to different conclusions. Still the practice is good. “But it feels horrible if I lose!” So what? Is it better to continue holding incorrect beliefs just for the sake of appearing invincible? Who are these people whose opinions you value more than your ideological soundness? Is it not in your best interest to always strengthen your ideology by changing it when it is incorrect? “But it still feels bad!” Many things that are good for us feel bad. Human nature includes many foolish attributes, arising in large part because we evolved to live very different lives than the ones we live in our civilised world. There are great rewards for those who can recognize the beneficial actions that are at odds with our nature (and therefore are unpleasant) but have the strength and courage to do them anyway. That is virtue. “But it still feels bad!” Oh shut up!

As with any other skill, practice is necessary for improvement. If you avoid argumentation you will not improve and you will not strengthen your ideology and grow as a person. In addition to practice theoretical foundations are also important. If you are in collage take some reasoning courses, and maybe a formal logic course. If you want professional practice, analytic philosophy courses are unbeatable. Although, they can seem dry compared to philosophy which deals with practical aspects of life they are unbeatable at teaching you how to reason properly. Then, when you get to the practical aspects of philosophy you will be extremely well prepared from a rational perspective. Even if you are not in university you can still benefit from reading a college text on reasoning/critical thinking. Here is one I am sure there are many more.

Being able to question anything is the most sacred tenet of our Western tradition. It has led us from the dark ages to our modern world. We cannot abandon it now because it does not feel good.

That’s enough philosophy for me tonight. I get philosophical when it’s past my bed time. Good night!

When I was in high school, we had a mandatory Debate class for a few months. We were taught how to defend your point of view while respectfully listening to the other party as well. We were also taught the fallacies of debating. It was fun, it was logical, and I even got to be on the debate team that won first prize nationally.

And then I look at politicians and random commenters on the internet and I feel like my academics are useless, because it's hard to have a fruitful argument when you're not following the same sets of rules.

When I was in high school, we had a mandatory Debate class for a few months. We were taught how to defend your point of view while respectfully listening to the other party as well. We were also taught the fallacies of debating. It was fun, it was logical, and I even got to be on the debate team that won first prize nationally.

And then I look at politicians and random commenters on the internet and I feel like my academics are useless, because it's hard to have a fruitful argument when you're not following the same sets of rules.

Very true on random commentators on the internet; Some people will just not accept they are in the wrong or that their beliefs are false.
I've only ever had one success with this as some time back on another forum, a guy trolled me by sending me a personal message full of insults regarding something I liked and claiming I wouldn't have 'the [guts]' to reply back and would just block him.
I responded with a message explaining why I liked what he was attacking me over, commenting on some of his accusations and drawing comparisons without resorting to foul language or writing like I was shouting.
We ended up having a decent debate and at the end he actually apologised to me - calling me a decent guy.

Sadly, that's been the only time. Other times I have had to resort to blocking because they will not see (or actively refuse to see) my side of the argument - regardless of the subject matter. A friend of mine once had one of these people criticise their argument because my friend had 'nothing' to back him up. So, in his reply he posted some 'citations' to back up what he'd said - only for this same person to hypocritically criticise him again because he was 'using someone else's words' to make his argument. What the hell?

I guess the old saying stands; You can't argue with a fool.
Mind you, this quote sums it up better:

b82a885b90bc4caa68db1ef0eb20242a--humorous-quotes-sayings-and-quotes.jpg

Last edited:
I love arguing, debating is life! But don't get me wrong, I am stubborn. But I can accept defeat on the rare occasion that happens, because obviously I am always right;)

I have always been extremely puzzled by people who adhere like Super Glue to a position that has no redeeming value: it's mean, wrong, and has zero facts to support it.

But they like being this way! And they are going to continue being this way!

Sometimes, all you can say is "awful to be you" and move on.

New Threads

Top Bottom