• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

THC and Autism

Knit Hat

V.I.P Member
Has anyone, or does anyone on here smoke weed, and if so, what are your reactions to it? Does it exacerbate your autism like it does me, or does it calm you down? Also, I'm not talking about CBD.

High THC content tends to exacerbate symptoms of anxiety for me. A more balanced THC/CBD ratio calms me down and for me, it's better than any anxiety pill I've taken. These days cannabis is usually bred for high THC content, or vice versa. It's hard to find a good balance.

I think it helps some people and others it doesn't, just like any prescription medication.

If it makes you feel bad, it's probably not the right thing for you.

Last edited:
Oh, that makes sense, cuz all of the stuff I get is purely recreational grade. Maybe I should try a more balanced strain.

High THC content definitely exacerbates my autism. But, even that, it depend on how much you smoke. Like the candies - bite off just a tiny bit and it helps while the entire candy makes it worse. I feel the same way about medications - sometimes even the lowest dose might be too much, but half the lowest dose helps. Think about it - if you have something with 100 mg of whatever, you take the entire thing and you get 100 mg. You take half and only get 50 mg. You take 1/4, you get only 25 mg, which might actually work best.

I smoked weed on and off for 14 years. I've quit 3 times - once for a year and another for over two. I found myself going back to old habits as I do find weed pleasant. It heightens certain senses; both negative and positive. However, long term drug use; whether legal or illegal isn't in your body's best interest.

I quit smoking weed again on December 1st last year. Originally I began smoking it when I was 19. For the first 5 years or so it was carefree enjoyment of the substance. It introduced me to a new group of friends and I found it enhanced my enjoyment of the few hobbies I have:

With gaming, it got me more absorbed.
With art, it got me thinking outside the box.
With music, it took me into a new realm of enjoyment.
With food, it enhanced the flavour and desire to explore new culinary experiences.
With introspection, it helped me delve deeper into my mind and explore new ideas and find new ways of thinking and living my life.

So what changed? Well, as said above; weed can provoke anxiety. In England it's not legal, so you get what you're given when it comes to buying weed. It's common knowledge that weed has got stronger and the UK is awash with skunk. This is a very overpowering high which can take it's toll.

With long term use I found myself even more lost in my own little world. Forgetful, lacking drive, energy and mental cohesion. I was living in a fog, and with weed and a group of friends who smoke it - you can easily slip into a daily routine of abuse. With stronger and stronger weeds, this abuse leaves you feeling like a bit of a zombie.

In my early 20's anxiety came along. My first panic attack was in my bedroom. I was sat watching a show with a friend, smoking a joint. Nothing could've felt comfier, and yet along came a short, sharp panic attack. It lasted less than a minute, but it left a lasting impression. The usual culprits emerged - rapid heart rate, hyperventialting, fear and a sense of impending doom.

A pattern started to emerge in the coming months, where I'd find my chest tightening and feeling on edge when I had friends over in my room. Friends came over multiple times a week for a smoke in the evening and to watch films, play video games and board games.

More and more, I felt tense and anxious in these situations. It'd often get to a point where I had to ask friends to leave. As soon as they'd left, I flung open my bedroom windows to clear the smoke filled room and would being my usual ritual I've had since a kid, and continue to this day - sitting cross legged and swaying. It's a comforting routine that I do for hours each day. But the swaying wasn't enough. I'd go to bed anxious - my heart racing and my body feeling tense.

About 6 months after my first panic attack my second came along. Same setting - with a friend in my room, smoking a joint. The similar feeling came along and built up quickly. I asked my friend to leave and proceeded to experience a panic attack that lasted over 2 hours. Whilst it had similar symptoms to the first - a 2 hour panic attack is brutal. Unfortunately I've had longer one's since then and it leaves me feeling disheveled for days after.

After that, I spiraled deep into an obsession around my supposed ill health. I was convinced these symptoms were due to a health condition. For 5 years I experienced almost 24/7 aches, pains and symptoms. These were all due to anxiety - but it took that long to finally accept this. I pestered Dr's, nurses, therapists, friends, family and forums looking for answers. All the tests came back negative, and everyone was imploring me to understand that anxiety was the cause. Hypochondria is considered a figment of the imagination. In reality - a stressed mind leads to a stressed body. Whilst these were seemingly phantom pains, I can assure you they were very real and some were incredibly overwhelming and painful. Minutes, hours, days, weeks or months - they'd come and go and change and morph. I was utterly miserable and came close many times to ending it all.

It's been 10 years since this all started. Every time I came back to weed, it often agitated my anxiety. Tight chest, rapid heart rate and feeling tense and on edge. I've lost count of the amount of panic attacks I had whilst stoned. So, why continue? Because the times I wasn't anxious I had a nice time.

But weed is strong nowadays. Last time I took up smoking weed again it was for about 2 years. I did something I never thought I could - I only smoked on weekends. In the early days it got to a point where I smoked an ounce a month. With weekend only use an ounce lasted me a year. I had to smoke very small blunts (as I quit tobacco years ago). Even with a small amount of weed it could trigger my anxiety and sometimes lead to an attack if I overdid how much I smoked.

I decided to quit again and also stop drinking. The mix of drink and weed is rather infamous. It can easily lead people to have a very bad time. Lot's of anxiety, panic attacks, profuse vomitting and horrific hangovers. It was something I spent time on perfecting the right amounts. The high was a lot more intense, but it felt a lot more self destructive.

The forgetfulness, selfishness, emotional lows and the cost of maintaining 2 addictions was too much. So i'm 64 days sober as of today. It's not been easy, but I know it's the way to go. The problem with abstinence is the further you get from day 1 of quitting, the more you overlook the negatives when looking back at an addiction. You can begin to feel nostalgic for old times, and old experiences etc. It can get to a point where you start justifying going back. Convincing yourself you can moderate usage, or that the bad times weren't as bad as you remember.

I use CBD oil now and then these days. It has the positives of relaxing and reducing stress and muscular aches and pains - without making you feel buzzed or stoned. I still miss certain aspects of weed, but it's best to quit whilst I'm ahead. It may well cause future health issues, even if I do stay sober from now on.
I can't demonise weed - but as I said before, it can lead to abuse, and this negates any positives that weed has. Also, it's not for everyone. Panic attacks are terrifying, and any illegal drug can potentially cause one. I understand why a lot of people look upon weed with contempt. At the end of the day, it won't address root causes. It can be fun, but it has a cost - both in terms of your finances and your mental and physical health.

Ed

Last edited:
Oh alrighty. Thank you everyone for your input. I really think I'm gonna try lower thc, and higher cbc strains, because I do enjoy weed, but I hate the fact that it makes me stim uncontrollably, and I get fixated on certain phrases or incidents and I'll just keep referencing it/them over and over again for over an hour or so, or laughing uncontrollably at the stupidest things for an entire evening, which wouldn't be so bad, but it pisses off everyone else I'm with at the time, lol.

For what it is worth I have a relative who smoked a fair bit of weed and it has been a contributory factor in him developing schizophrenia. This contributory relationship seems to be well known in medical circles, but some of the general public do not want to know.

I am sorry but saying 2no victim - no crime" does not wash with me. I have a victim now and a person whose life prospects have been totally altered as a result of this illness.

That was a really interesting article. My sister goes to the dispensary semi-regularly, and she wants to pick me up the northern lights strain, because she thinks that could help calm me down. I'll try and post updates.

For what it is worth I have a relative who smoked a fair bit of weed and it has been a contributory factor in him developing schizophrenia. This contributory relationship seems to be well known in medical circles, but some of the general public do not want to know.

I am sorry but saying 2no victim - no crime" does not wash with me. I have a victim now and a person whose life prospects have been totally altered as a result of this illness.
Oh, that is quite scary Hm, now I'm not so sure. Maybe if I stick to medical grade, and only when I need it??

Has anyone, or does anyone on here smoke weed, and if so, what are your reactions to it? Does it exacerbate your autism like it does me, or does it calm you down? Also, I'm not talking about CBD.
I used to like the THC because it was an instant mood lifter and I tend to be physically violent on myself when I get pissed off with myself.
I also relied on it for creativity.
The thing is, it made me dull and negligent.

New Threads

Top Bottom