• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Terribly overstimulated and mentally exhausted

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I'm normally very shy. I really do love people, but I usually do peopley things from a distance.

Lately I have had so many interractions with people, whether it's appointments, or caring for injured loved ones, telephone calls, conversations, bus rides, etc.

I was in the bath tub just now, and suddenly the sound of the vent was too loud and screechy. The water felt crawly. Even the movement of my arms made me feel sort of yucky tingles.

The way my hair felt after washing. Even my feet- heels in the water and toes touching air. It was all disgusting, and sort of painful, and loud and just like being crawled on by centipedes, while a police officer shines a flashlight in your eyes, all while listening to a newspaper press at a bindery.

The thing is, I have some heavy duty responsibilities to others, and there's no one else to take my place. It sucks, royally.

Today is my respite day. But it's just too much. The one relief I got was hard, sort of painful pressure. I wrapped my hair up in a towel, and twisted it extra tight, and tucked it in extra tight. The hard pressure sort of soothed my overstimulation. Also I have the air conditioner running at its coldest, and with the fan at full strength, about four feet from where i am sitting.

I can't hide in my room all night. I am a mother, and a member of a community.

Tomorrow I have to go out and do difficult things again. See an elder, whom I respect above all others, slur and curse and maybe urinate. And in between those moments, we'll try and remember old times, we'll share a meal, and perhaps he will acknowledge me and say he loves me.

This elder, above all others, is my security, and my role model. This elder, to see him growing ill, it's almost beyond my capacity to handle it. At just the thought of his illness or injury, I get shooting pains in my arms and chest, and a massive headache. It physically hurts to know he is ill.

It takes 2 hours to get to his hospital. And I'll do it again and again and again every day.

I also have other loved ones who are ill or injured, who I am desperately afraid for.

And I have my own medical/mental needs that I cannot tend to. Because I am needed. there is no time and no resources to care for myself. No spoons.

What do I do? What would you do?

Last edited:
Can’t take care of others if you ignore your own health needs. That will put you in a worse crisis later. Prioritize that part regardless of how selfish it seems.

@Yeshuasdaughter

You are consistent in putting other people’s needs before your own. I know that you see great value in this, but at least put yourself on the list of people who need your care and attention.

I think you must find time for yourself, and maybe not just sitting in the bathtub with intense thoughts swirling all around. Perhaps, it could be something more structured like taking a class, going to therapy, joining some kind of tai chi group. Maybe a new hobby to indulge in. Something that will allow you to feel free in your solitude and not always chained to the burdens of others.

"also have other loved ones who are ill or injured, who I am desperately afraid for." - Aww, every one of these must give you anxiety, but if they are taking care of themselves things will get better. I have such a person, thankfully he's not doing unwell and I'm thankful he is taking care of himself, it can be such a gift when your dear ones do though not everyone takes care of themselves or even can in some situations.

"I have some heavy duty responsibilities to others, and there's no one else to take my place. It sucks, royally." - I'm sorry you have to go through this, especially with your limitations. I barely handle taking care of my personal necessities, I would go nutz to have family responsibilities (and additional ones) and no support or help... Sorry to hear, I feel for your troubled soul.

I hope you will be able to take some time for yourself, even more than usually because maybe it is a time when you particularly need it and could use it, and maybe think of yourself more and try to cancel some things past or future, people understand when you say you really have a handful in life right now. It's important to take care of ourselves before we burn out and it gets even harder to handle things.

We did have a really nice visit yesterday. Lots of cheer. But he's so lonely. And afraid. I saw him cry twice.

I'm not going to take out "time for me". I am going to be there, every day, for the man who took care of me, all these years.

We did have a really nice visit yesterday. Lots of cheer. But he's so lonely. And afraid. I saw him cry twice.

I'm not going to take out "time for me". I am going to be there, every day, for the man who took care of me, all these years.
Can you do anything in moments of down time to ease the stress? Music, some light food that’s good for your body, a funny video.

Yeah I am doing little things in the quiet moments. I'm bringing yarn projects and a book with me.

New Threads

Top Bottom