• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Take Away Food

There must be some cultural referrence there that I've never heard.
Pasties (Pay-stees) are tassle-like coverings that strippers sometimes wear over their aerolae in locales that don't allow full topless nudity

1679008623706.png

Thank you both, a term that I had never heard before.

Also, where I live Thongs are a type of footwear, not anal floss.

I like Chinese food, I like to get it from the Chinese place next to the library. I always get one of the combos, sometimes I get the lunch combo but I usually get the all-day combo. It costs a couple box more for the all-day combos but you get a soup with it.

One of my go-tos is curry chicken with fried rice (usually pork but sometimes I'll spring for shrimp), wonton soup, and an eggroll. If I'm not feeling curry chicken, I'll usually get some form of lo mein, General Tso's chicken, or sweet and sour chicken.

Oh pizza too! My local pizza place is also in the same shopping center as the library and Chinese place. I love their calzones, they're so damn big especially considering they're less than 10 bucks for the small (and the small calzone is a foot long, I actually have no idea how big the large one is considering the size of the small one)

We have really bad take out food here in Iceland. If it's tasty, it's really expensive and generally not something which gets prepared in less than a couple of minutes, but the street food in Serbia is amazing! I really miss it whenever I'm not there, though it also seems custom made to cause a heart attack. It has the typical street food you'll find in most places like Gyros (basically Greek döner kebab with fries), but then it has its own delicacies, like Pljeskavica (similar to burger but different ingredients and gets ready quickly) and ćevapi (little meat rolls often served with something spicy. My favourite of all is Burek. It's incredibly cheap (a 1/4 slice which is basically a full meal is less than a dollar) and is served in almost every bakery, and bakeries then stay open till late in the evening. It's some sort of fatty pastry bake filled with meat and served warm.

Pljeskavica:
iu

Ćevapi:
iu

Burek:
iu

P.S. Just so I don't get murdered, all of those fast food items are common throughout the balkans, and can probably be found in Turkey as well. They are also cheap, quick to serve and can be found all over the place in Belgrade, making them a great street food.

Last edited:
Thank you both, a term that I had never heard before.

Also, where I live Thongs are a type of footwear, not anal floss.

Oh Australia. So if thongs are footwear there, what do you call the underwear we call thongs? I'm guessing "hats"? :)

I'm a big fan of the Mongolian and Sichuan flavours. I've tried to imitate them at home a few times but I'm just not as good.
I've never actually tried anything Mongolian or Sichuan - well I thought I hadn't tried the latter but apparently Kung Pao chicken is from Sichuan and I've had and I enjoy that.

Of course, I've only had American Chinese Kung Pao chicken and not the style as actually made in Sichuan, but as far as I'm concerned American Chinese food is still good.

Of course, I've only had American Chinese Kung Pao chicken and not the style as actually made in Sichuan, but as far as I'm concerned American Chinese food is still good.
It's probably incredibly close to just how they cook it at home.

Sichuan is quite spicy and a little bit sweet, Mongolian is quite sweet and a little bit spicy.

We have great barbecue take-outs here, in addition to Mexican food trucks.

I can pick up warm hand made tortillas from a local Mexican store. And home made tres leches cake.

BTW, I grew up in the American Midwest and grew up calling flip-flops, “thongs.” I don’t think they know about the underwear type in the Midwest. ;)

Oh Australia. So if thongs are footwear there, what do you call the underwear we call thongs? I'm guessing "hats"? :)
Don’t even ask him about “fanny packs.”

For the record…

Don’t even ask him about “fanny packs.”
Literally tears streaming down my face with laughter. Thank you so much.

For the rest of you - you have to have lived here to really understand.

[Edit] so we don't confuse too many, here children are taught polite words for their private parts. Boys have a dick and girls have a fanny. Yes we find some American sitcoms one hell of a lot funnier than you do. :)

Last edited:
We have really bad take out food here in Iceland. If it's tasty, it's really expensive and generally not something which gets prepared in less than a couple of minutes, but the street food in Serbia is amazing! I really miss it whenever I'm not there, though it also seems custom made to cause a heart attack. It has the typical street food you'll find in most places like Gyros (basically Greek döner kebab with fries), but then it has its own delicacies, like Pljeskavica (similar to burger but different ingredients and gets ready quickly) and ćevapi (little meat rolls often served with something spicy. My favourite of all is Burek. It's incredibly cheap (a 1/4 slice which is basically a full meal is less than a dollar) and is served in almost every bakery, and bakeries then stay open till late in the evening. It's some sort of fatty pastry bake filled with meat and served warm.

Pljeskavica:
iu

Ćevapi:
iu

Burek:
iu

P.S. Just so I don't get murdered, all of those fast food items are common throughout the balkans, and can probably be found in Turkey as well. They are also cheap, quick to serve and can be found all over the place in Belgrade, making them a great street food.
These look delicious!

In the USA, Panda Express is a popular chain of Chinese fast food. It's so delicious, and very Americanized.

For several years, my daughter and I have always ordered the following platter to share. Orange Chicken, Broccoli Beef, 2 egg rolls, and a large Diet Coke (WITH NO ICE). Oh yes, and very important- 2 fortune cookies. @Outdated do you have fortune cookies in Australia?

iu

iu

iu

New Threads

Top Bottom